SORN question?

Options
Hi all, I have been offered a motorbike (free of charge) that has been sitting in the back of a garage i'm working on.

It has been sitting there for 8 years since the gearbox blew up and the owner didn't sorn the bike at the time and says they didn't receive any updates/requests to afterwards once bike was out of tax and not insured.

The owner is trying to find the paper work for the bike but I'm not sure if they will find it so I might have to fill in a form to take ownership too?

I'm not sure what the legality is of me taking ownership of it to repair and use if it hasn't been sorn for the past 8 years?

Can I just go to DVLA branch and say apply for new ownership, take ownership, SORN the vehicle then once fixed insured pay road tax from there or will they want the last 8 years road tax which will mean it's not worth taking to fix as £810 would mean the bike is going to be worth less than the tax?

Is SORN transferable if im applying to take ownership?

I have not been through any SORN before as my car is always taxed.

All help/advice is appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's the responsibility of the registered keeper to SORN the bike if it's not taxed. You're not currently responsible for the fact that it hasn't been SORNed for the last 8 years as you weren't the RK then - if the DVLA pursue anybody for the back-tax it will be the old RK (sounds unlikely after 8 years).

SORN is not transferable when the keeper changes. It's basically a promise that you don't use the bike on the road. If the old keeper sells the bike to you he can't promise that you don't use it on the road - he has no way of controlling what you're going to do with it. So even if it was SORNed already, the new keeper has to make a new SORN (or else tax it) when there's a change of ownership.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think DVLA have any local branches left, but you could easily phone and ask them how to proceed.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • gingapete
    gingapete Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Aretnap wrote: »
    It's the responsibility of the registered keeper to SORN the bike if it's not taxed. You're not currently responsible for the fact that it hasn't been SORNed for the last 8 years as you weren't the RK then - if the DVLA pursue anybody for the back-tax it will be the old RK (sounds unlikely after 8 years).

SORN is not transferable when the keeper changes. It's basically a promise that you don't use the bike on the road. If the old keeper sells the bike to you he can't promise that you don't use it on the road - he has no way of controlling what you're going to do with it. So even if it was SORNed already, the new keeper has to make a new SORN (or else tax it) when there's a change of ownership.

Aretnap, thank you for your reply! So basically once I get the ownership sorted i'm good to repair and get tax'd mot'd! Nice one!!
  • gingapete
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I don't think DVLA have any local branches left, but you could easily phone and ask them how to proceed.

I thought there was one in Chester by the side of the racecourse? It was a while ago since I visited it to change a number plate though ;) Will check on line. Thanks
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just hope the owner doesnt try to reclaim the bike after you have fixed it.

They will be notified that someone is trying to register the bike. Assuming they still live there and have an interest in the bike.

I would apply for the V5C and SORN it yourself and then store it for at least 6 months. If nobody comes chasing it then fix it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• gingapete
    Options
    Just hope the owner doesnt try to reclaim the bike after you have fixed it.

They will be notified that someone is trying to register the bike. Assuming they still live there and have an interest in the bike.

I would apply for the V5C and SORN it yourself and then store it for at least 6 months. If nobody comes chasing it then fix it.

Hi thanks, no problem of owner doing that as they don't want it im getting it out of the way for them while doing work there so win win really and bonus free bike, quick fix couple of quid and put it back on the road where it should be ;) Ive download both forms earlier ready so will be filling them in this weekend and off next week, wont be doing anything with the bike until I get OK from DVLA. Thsnk for the response appreciate it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure