Being billed by Payforit for unrequested services

Options

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if the message received comes from short code number, you can look up details on the Phonepayplus website

Phonepayplus has a freephone number, and I suggest you contact them to discuss this
  • PJB
    PJB Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OFCOM or OFTEL
  • whistler58
    whistler58 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    This has happened to my daughters phone twice. I phoned the 0800 801080 and spoke to orange and they refunded the £10 top up, but the following night at 01.47 the exact same time as the previous deduction it deducted £10 yet again. On the first instance I told orange to put a complete block on the internet on the phone, which was done as they said it could be orange world. When it happeneda second time I have put a complete block on that number through orange. I have been refunded yet again £10 from orange. Annoyed is not a word to described.
  • whistler58
    whistler58 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    3 WEEKS RUNNING AND ITS HAPPENED AGAIN, CHARGED £10. PHONED ORANGE YET AGAIN AND THIS TIME GOT A NEW NUMBER, THEY GAME ME A NUMBER TO CALL REGARDING THE CHARGES (A COMPANY CALLED "MIG" ON 08702480277. (MORE PREMIUM RATE NUMBER)fOUND THIS NUMBER ON SAYNOTO0870 - 020 7921 5586 MOBILE INTERACTIVE GROUP.
  • stephyt23
    stephyt23 Posts: 852 Forumite
    Options
    I've never heard of payforit but I've just had 4 text messages come through saying I need to enter a code to complete payment with payforit. The messages are entitled Game Mobile.

I can't see anything on my o2 bill but as these have only just been sent they may not be appearing. I am on a contract phone and only have a couple of games that were free to get: DrawSomething and Words with Friends which I've had for ages.

Am I likely to be charged for these? I've just had a 5th text as I'm typing this! :mad:
    Saved: £1566.53/ £2000
  • shazny2005
    Options
    I have only just registered to this website after having just got £130 worth of charges from Payforit on my daughter's phone over the last 3 months. She is on a contract with Orange and despite many calls to Orange who have always sounded like they were going to help her phone has now been blocked - for non-payment of the bill. Having checked her phone and speaking with her (she is 14) she HAS NOT subscribed to ANYTHING, NOT downloaded ANY songs, games, ringtones etc and still we are being charged £10 per week at 1.00am EVERY Thursday morning. I did initially get the number for the company from Orange rang them and they said that they had no record of her number EVER registering with them. That was after the first £50 of charges in June. I therefore thought that that was the end of it but no I have since been charged another £80 over June/July. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. What are my chances of getting this money refunded/credited to my daughter's account?
  • Earthworm
    Earthworm Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    Just out of interest what type of phones are you guys using? It may be that apps downloaded to the handset are automatically signing you up to the premium rate service. Orange should be able to confirm the name of the company billing you and there contact number. Although your bill doesn't specify it Orange will no doubt have this info.

If you get this info follow their companies escalation route... If charges are not refunded take it to the ombudsman.

Good luck.
  • thegoodman
    thegoodman Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This type of malware problem is well known if you have Android phone, where phone by itself send a text message to the premium rate service.

Check what app is causing that.
  • shazny2005
    Options
    Thank you for your prompt responses/advice. Her phone is an android phone and the company, apparently, is MIG!! I am still awaiting a promised phone call from Orange to confirm that they have sorted it so Watch This Space......:)
  • ryanr
    ryanr Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Payforit.org is a joint company of Vodafone, Orange, 3, O2 and T-Mobile

Its true double opt-in. There is no way you can get a charge without having actually agreed to it on their website.

Make sure to send STOP to them to ensure no further charges are applied.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure