PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

DIY Mince Meat

Comments

• As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread to keep ideas together.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I'm thinking of getting a mincer too so will be watching this thread...let me know how the Lakeland one does :)
  • will do, just had an email to say its been dispatched, i've been dithering for ages about buying one, the one i've ordered has good reviews & i've heard Lakeland customer services are very good if your not happy with something you've bought so i thought i'd give it a go.
    'there goes an old transexual, last seen heading south,
    her friends call her Bernie but her real name is Ralph'
    Felicia, Priscilla Queen of the Desert
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a mincer too so will be watching this thread...let me know how the Lakeland one does :)
    I've got the lakeland mincer too (the £23.99 one) and had no problems with it although I've only used it to mince pork.

The main reason I got it was because it's got a sausage stuffer attachment too so I can make my own sausages. It takes a bit to get the hang of doing the sausages, (easier if there's 2 of you) and there's quite a bit of hilarity and "double entendre" (we will grow up one day :o) but it's nice to mince your own pork and make your own sausages. Especially if, like me, you're a bit suspicious about what goes into even good butcher-bought ones.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A quick tip for anyone using a mincer is to put a couple of slices of bread in at the end, so it pushes the last of the meat through and you also have a meaty treat for the dog.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,212 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Badrick wrote: »
    A quick tip for anyone using a mincer is to put a couple of slices of bread in at the end, so it pushes the last of the meat through and you also have a meaty treat for the dog.

I normally put a slice of bread through first, just to remove any rust or residues or dust etc
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • well, my mincer arrived yesterday & to be honest it was a great disappointment. it took an hour & a lot of hard work to mince 1 1/2 kgs of breast of lamb, most of it i had to scoop back out when it had 'mushed' it up. will be trying pork either today or tomorrow, i hope it works better on that!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Thanks for that PT - hope the pork goes better !
  • You've reminded me I have a mincer sat in my cupboard.Have found the mince I buy lately totally flavourless so will have a go at mincing my own I think.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • have tried the mincer on pork belly, it was a lot easier than the lamb but not fantastic, it seems to get clogged really easily & i end up having to scoop the meat back out. the bits that do make it through arnt all minced either, still some quite big pieces of meat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills