Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report couple fraudulently claiming benefits?

18910111214»

Comments

• Uncle_Rob
    Uncle_Rob Posts: 5 Forumite
    Report them. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because Atos or bankers have found legal ways to avoid tax does not mean to say that this (or any other) crime is justified. They are stealing from you and me.

Change the things you can, recognise what you cannot change and know the difference!
  • cjc178
    cjc178 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It doesn't matter if you have your facts correct or not the benefits agency will investigate and if they have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide then there is no problem . They won't be in trouble and neither will you, but if they do find out that they are cheating the system then hopefully they will be prosecuted at the very least they should have to repay what they have stolen. But I wish they would actually land up in prison. Unfortunately our courts are far to lenient on benefit cheats. I'm disabled and had to go through the ATOS interrogation I'm in a wheelchair and have been housebound for three years. I'm now not able to sit or walk more than a couple of steps and I have to go to hospital in an ambulance on a stretcher, but they were still trying to get me to come to them for their "interview". Having told them my situation and my DR and Consultant both wrote that I was unable to get to the interview. They still tried to get me to go to them by threatening to stop my benefit. I said from the start that I would go if they provided an ambulance like when I go to the hospital but they refused and at first continued to say I had to go to them. Eventually they came and saw me at home, the guy was only in my house for 45mins but tried to get me to agree that I could do a job using a computer laying in bed, although I'm on Fentanyl ( like morphine) sometimes I can't sleep for days at a time due to the pain and I have problems with my short term memory and have very shaky hands meaning I often hit two keys at once, and he expected me to be able to work. Sorry for the long story but I just wanted to get over how hard it is for disabled people to get benefit due to the cut backs and checks with ATOS . So it makes me really angry when I find out that other people are cheating the system and getting more benefit than they are entitled to when we have to fight for every penny we get. So I don't see why you even have to ask the question? So Just do the right thing and get on to the Benefits Agency and tell them about these Druggy cheats they do not deserve to get away with it, not when people like me have to almost beg to get our benefit. Another friend in a very similar position has been told she is fit to work even though she is housebound too. There can't be one rule for them and another for us, they are fit to work and yet are still not happy with what they get that they have to cheat the system. Sorry I know its long!!:mad::money:
    :Tcjc178:beer:
  • jaxsmar
    jaxsmar Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they have done nothing wrong then the DWP will close the case, however if they are hiding something so be it .. there isn't just the case of their unemployment benefit but the rent and council tax.
    Penny wise pound foolish. 366 days 1p challenge 2020 ✓ 2021 2022 2023 completed.
    No.13 1p a day challenge 2024
    No. 24 52 week savings challenge.
  • The thing is I've just done a quick think and I know probably 5 different households fraudulently claiming. I do not want these people to be prosecuted though, I like them. If there was a way to simply stop them claiming as of now and enforce it. I think I would have no hesitation.
  • steve3742
    steve3742 Posts: 28 Forumite
    I don't think you should report them. You're talking about people trying to scrape a living on benefits by claiming £144.80 a week instead of the £113.70 they'd get otherwise. And the money's being taken from the government, who'd only waste it on something - QE, which is basically welfare for bankers (you know, the people who caused the last recession), farming subsidies to rich landowners, etc. Think of it as income redistribution.,
  • This is a clear cut theft, no question about. In fact two thieves perpetrating a fraudulent activity and the law is unambiguous. You steal and are discovered doing so then you'll be investigated. Done nothing wrong then no worries otherwise face the consequences. If they have no issue stealing then they should have the same regard when the cell door closes behind them. The dilemma is with your conscience only as they are happy to continue to behave in this manner. Me, I'd report them in a flash. I work far to hard to accept that it's ok for the idle to rape the tax that I pay.
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So you are paying tax, and they are stealing it..., and you let them get away with it?
    Would you let them if they were stealing it from you directly???
    No wonder we all pay so much tax.
  • neilbat
    neilbat Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    Why is it a moral dilemma?

They are stealing from both the tax payer & the needy (there is only so much in the pot).

Even if you are not 100% sure then you must report it so that at least they can check it out.:T
  • If you stick their names and addresses on here, I'm sure one of us will help you ut!
  • No moral dilemma at all. I am a tax payer. They are stealing from me. Report them. Simples!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure