PPI on defaulted accounts

Hi i keep getting calls re claiming ppi but am unsure as to my entitlement to anything. I had credit accounts with Littlewoods and Freemans, and a bank account i paid £30 monthly to use, credit card and loan with RBS. Unfortunately i lost my job in September 2002 due to severe depression and anxiety which i had suffered from for many years prior to losing my job, when i tried to claim help and get account balances frozen after being put onto incapacity benefit i received no help at all, i have been on sickness and disability benefits ever since then, and obviously could not make repayments to any of the above from that point on so defaulted with them all apart from Littlewoods. The loan from RBS was £3000 for over 3 years and i had repaid back half of it at least, is there any point in me trying to reclaim PPI for any of the above? Thanks.

Comments

• Not really. Any redress would be offset against the debts.

If you are still repaying the debts, it would however reduce the amount you owe, though.
  • Thank you thats what i thought, they must have all been written off a long time ago anyway as there is no mention of them on my credit score report and none ever proceeded to court that i know of, they were all from over 15 years ago.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If they were written off then there is no point complaining about any hypothetical PPI. Even if you had PPI. Even if your complaint was accepted, they would use the redress against the amount written off.

The caveat to that is if the PPI redress was bigger than the debt. In which case, you would get any excess over the debt.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure