Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,191Posts
    • 6,495Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 3
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Mar 16, 6:45 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks for stopping by kittenkirst, I've had a letter confirming the mortgage is paid but no statement! I'm still excited though

Monthly travel expenses were done last night, although shuffled over to DHs account to go towards the car bills. Top exchanged for something else, so I'm counting that as moneysaving too!
    Shopping has arrived so plenty of food in the house, much to DDs delight.
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 2nd Mar 16, 10:45 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    jodles16
    I always love the sight of a full fridge! So many choices! Hmm I get what you mean, buy land and use it now or wait and save...the lady we bought our house from was in her 70's with a horse and shetland, she was more active than me and hubby combined, so you never know!heehee.

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (£156,000)
    2016- Jan-£177,472, Apr-£173,195.04, July- £171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Mar 16, 7:40 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I am sure I will be still out riding at 70 Jodles, might have to switch from TBs though
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 5th Mar 16, 8:01 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Not much going on that is actively moving money across so not much to report.
    Eating from the meal plan is going well. I went for a small 2m run in the week with DD.
    I have a big list of things to do this weekend (as always). I always seem to be a bit over optimistic with my time!

Have a great weekend fellow MFWs
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 5th Mar 16, 12:38 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    jodles16
    Oh well done on the run, I struggle enough with walking so a two mile run is an amazing accomplishment! Hope you will be spoilt on Mothers Day tomorrow and you might get some time to relax!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 6th Mar 16, 9:02 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. I've just had to make my own cup of tea in bed as DD2 stayed at DD1's house last night to babysit whilst she was at work. I did get a text from her though

Scary moment yesterday when I had a phone call from someone I didn't know saying they had my purse it had dropped out of a bag when DH put it (ok maybe flung it!) over his shoulder. I'm so unbelievably grateful that the finder took the trouble to find me and I got it back all in tact. Luckily I had my business cards in the purse so they knew my number! so bottle of wine and thank you card dispatched when I collected it.
    Today we need to get hay and clean the yard so that should give a good result on my Fitbit I think I should do some ironing too before we get buried under the ironing mountain.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 6th Mar 16, 9:15 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,431 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    That was very lucky...
    thank goodness for honesty
    Happy mothers day
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Mar 16, 7:01 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Yes extremely lucky moneyfordreams, I'm still annoyed with myself for losing it in the first place!

Most of the jobs from the weekend are complete and good headway made on business accounts (feels like a never ending task!)

CP updated yesterday and some receipts for expenses put through the business and transferred over to ISA, taking the total for this challenge to £1021.10

Still got some things to photograph for eBay but don't think that will happen now until the weekend.

DD had another job interview yesterday and got through to the next stage which is Saturday. Please send good luck vibes, she has been trying so hard to get a job so I really hope she gets this one.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Mar 16, 7:13 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    As expected this week is a bit crazy. Had a catch up with friends the other night, which was lovely with lots of laughing involved.

Introduced a friend to TCB this week as well, but other than that not much headway.

We are off to a big event tomorrow, so will be baking tonight for a big picnic lunch (everyone in our section will take something different), will work out cheaper than buying lunch there. Should be great fun but exhausting.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 12th Mar 16, 7:21 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    What a long day out we had yesterday.

Had an accident in the car on the drive there. It was pitch black and there was a big object in the middle lane of the motorway which we went over and damaged all the front bumper/valence.
    It could have been a lot worse though, the car still drives ok and it is purely cosmetic. Very annoying though as it will cost hundreds to fix

I'm amazed at my Fitbit results from yesterday as there was lots of walking and standing around, just goes to show the difference it makes being on your feet all day (my work is very sedentary) or maybe it was the stress of damaging the car

I need to rifle through the fridge and freezer today to work out what needs using up and how far we can stretch what we have in and work out a plan of action for the weekend!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 12th Mar 16, 12:38 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,431 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    sorry to hear about your car,

walking around is amazing... We've averaged 14000 steps a day this week... We are both worn out and looking forward to going back to work.. Time off is far to hard
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 13th Mar 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Haha I agree moneyfordreams - going back to work for a rest!!

Went and did a couple hours work for a customer today at their site then went to sains to pick up a few bits to get us through the week. A very rough meal plan done.

For the first time this year the washing is on the line . Not sure if it will dry as it is still quite cold and it has reminded me how much work needs doing in our garden. More things to add to the list!

Off to walk the dog in the sun shortly
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 13th Mar 16, 6:01 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    jodles16
    Sorry about the car, glad you are ok though. At least you tried to get the washing out, we are still using the heated airer instead! Also it is that time of year where I switch from thinking of all the indoor jobs to thinking about all the outdoor jobs!! Too much to think about!!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66

• Watty1
    • By Watty1 16th Mar 16, 11:10 PM
    • 2,985 Posts
    • 20,813 Thanks
    Watty1
    Just found diary. Loving the plans. Ten years ago I had a dream to buy a house in a rural place with the horses in the garden, and never thought it would be possible. And yet here we are with it owned outright. This board is amazing .....
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaid next mortgage. £79,491 down to £27152
    Knotted hanky fund now in full swing: £3776.40
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 17th Mar 16, 8:09 AM
    • 16,467 Posts
    • 108,103 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Just found diary. Loving the plans. Ten years ago I had a dream to buy a house in a rural place with the horses in the garden, and never thought it would be possible. And yet here we are with it owned outright. This board is amazing .....
    Originally posted by Watty1

Seconded - if you'd told me I'd be retired at 53 and living next to the sea in Spain I'd have laughed my socks off .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 25th Mar 16, 7:42 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you for stopping by, I love hearing the impossible is possible

I've been struck down with the flu for the past week, so very behind with everything. Good job there is a 4 day weekend here to try to make a dent in the backlog!
    I'm still not quite at full speed though.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 26th Mar 16, 7:55 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 9,060 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Awww bless you, do make sure you rest up plenty if you've been suffering with the flu!
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £391.44/ £3000 13%

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Mar 16, 8:20 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you kittenkirst, lots of resting going on (which I find very frustrating!).

A load of washing went on the line yesterday and a bit of ironing done. Good job really as we were running out of clothes to wear
    I sat up the yard in the sun while DH walked the dog and listened to the birds singing.
    We've been invited round to SILs Sunday for lunch so said we would take desert. I would normally make something but may just pick up something this time.
    • littlegreenpeas
    • By littlegreenpeas 26th Mar 16, 8:35 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    littlegreenpeas
    Hello

Well done in clearing your mortgage and good luck for the saving goal. On this forum there are some incredible tips,it will help you find savings you didn't initially think of.

Regarding your wedding dress it may be worth looking at a dress agency if it's a brand rather than ebsy as you are likely to get more money. There are too many cheap imports that are brand new with very low prices
    Mortgage value was £135,000 now £67,300.00
    TCB total £1200
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Mar 16, 8:48 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you for stopping by LGP, I will take a look and see if there are any dress agencies around. I did look at the website of the local bride shop but nothing on there about preloved dresses.
    I will do some digging!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,428Posts Today

10,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin