Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1855
    • HeresHopin
    • By HeresHopin 10th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    HeresHopin
    Update on my PPI Reclaim journey/Plevin win
    Haven't posted for a good few years - I kinda of fell off the PPI routeway after some good successful wins - then the disappointment after waiting for a year to be turned down by FOS so I kinda run out of steam.

However last year September out of the blue i got a letter from Barclaycard saying "you can make a new type of complaint..." In truth i just put it aside and forgot about it until another one followed a few weeks later from Creation - two complaints that had previously been turned down - this made me think might as well see what this is about - so i updated the info on the Barclays webpage detailed on the letter on 24th October & lo and behold on 5th December i logged in to my online banking to check something and found that they had credited my account with £3351.47 the actual amount was only around £450 and the rest was made up of various interest.

So now with the deadline in place i have decided to give a final push on my last few PPI reclaims.

Hope to update with some good news over the next few months
    Last edited by HeresHopin; 11-01-2018 at 7:21 AM. Reason: removed misleading info
    • Nhsmummy
    • By Nhsmummy 11th Jan 18, 10:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Nhsmummy
    Lloyds loans
    So a couple of months back I was searching in the attic and found a Lloyds CC statement from 2000 stating payment protection as a monthly fee.
    I phoned Lloyds, who I still have an account with, and was advised this was dealt with and paid out in 2007. Ok so I forgot but 3 kids later etc I can be forgiven!
    But the lovely man on the phone said " I can see you have had a loan with us in the past, I think it may be an idea if we look at it as possible ppi may have been added". I received paperwork to fill in, but again phoned them as I was unsure of the loan dates he had mentioned, to which his reply was "well I can see right back to 1993 and you have had 7 loans since then!" Again yes I know I had forgotten and had no paperwork!
    Anyway 8 weeks later......cheque for £3900 😀 ! 5 of the 7 loans had ppi from 1993-2005. These were consolidated each time, can't even remember what they were for but I had a good early 20s!
    Anyway if you haven't checked you have been missold then do it now! And it appears to be from 25 years ago!
    • MLA78
    • By MLA78 13th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MLA78
    PPI Refund from Barclays Bank
    I put in a claim for PPI from a loan for £8000 I had taken out with Barclays Bank in 2005. I received all my payment, interest and compensation totalling £4140. This cheque came with a letter from Barclays Bank.

I put in my original complaint through Resolver filling in my specifics on the email on 20th December. A few days later I got a letter from Barclays Bank dated the 21st December stating they had received my complaint and how it would be dealt with and my contact email address and mobile phone number. The email address was an old one which hadn't been updated as I no longer bank with Barclays so on the 29th December I rang them up to change the email address. The guy on the phone told me that the account had been updated and the complaint upheld and I would be getting a refund of just over £4000. I was gobsmacked to say the least. Not only about the amount but how quickly this had happened. A week later the letter and cheque turned up and I have since cleared 3 credit card debts which feels AMAZING!!

Thank-you Martin, Resolver and all at MoneySavingExpert.com
    • robbedofmymoney
    • By robbedofmymoney 15th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,573 Thanks
    robbedofmymoney
    lloyds bank overdraft ppi - success
    I received a response this morning confirming my complaint has been upheld regarding the sale of overdraught protection insurance.

the premiums paid totalled just over £1,340 over a 15 year period, my total redress is just over £4,100 which was more than I was expecting to get so i'm a happy chap today.

my main reason for complaint is that I already had income protection insurance with Lloyds themselves and this was discussed at the point of sale.
    I'm proud to say that the banks no longer take money from me after becoming debt free
    • theyiddo
    • By theyiddo 16th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    theyiddo
    Just did mine in November for my old Egg loan. I was hoping it might be a grand or 2 if I was lucky. Got a confirmation letter this morning though that a £7.5k refund is on its way to me (less the bit extra I'll have to give to HMRC on the 8% interest).

Happy days.
    • Almost-free
    • By Almost-free 16th Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Almost-free
    I filed a case with Barclays on Friday and received a refund of £837 yesterday. It's smaller than many of he refunds on this thread, but tbh I never expected to get anything as I had actually made a claim on my insurance when I was unemployed for a year then diagnosed with cancer .
    • Wolf52
    • By Wolf52 17th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Wolf52
    What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card) Credit card
    Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest) MBNA (Virgin) and Amex
    How much did you get back: £2,421.19 and £3,791.72
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Wrote a letter stating reasons why I thought I had been mis-sold.
    And then write your brief reclaim tale: No real tale to tell, finally after months of wondering whether I had been mis-sold, I wrote to them and they said yes, it appears you were.

Also had 2 offers under Plevin, £876.93 from Argos (accepted) and £1119.02 from M&S (awaiting further info before accepting).

Yay, this will help with repairs to the home and go to my birthday fund.

Nina
    • mason144
    • By mason144 17th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mason144
    PPI Claims companies - mis-selling???
    New to site, first comments, so hopefully in the right place and of use to others.
    I engaged Gladstone Brookes to reclaim PPI - in short they did a good job and I understood the 25% + VAT charge on any monies I got back. Stupid I now know, but I also know I wouldn't have done this myself, whilst working full time
    What I didn't know, and what wasn't made clear to me is the fact that they charge 25% + VAT on monies the bank paid directly to HMRC in relation to the interest added to my reclaim value - I never saw a penny of it yet GB want 25% commission + VAT from me, not HMRC !!
    I will complain on the basis that I understood 25% +VAT on money I got back, not on money the revenue office got. I also think there is an issue with me having to pay VAT on tax paid to the revenue - surely this is double bubbling. HMRC get the tax on the interest I received, GB calculate their fees including this tax and then add 20% Tax - this to me is just wrong. MikeM
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 14,915 Posts
    • 15,760 Thanks
    zx81
    Unfortunately, it's all legitimate.

They outline the costs in their contract and they know that the kind of people who use claims companies don't check what they're signing up to.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 19,127 Posts
    • 10,299 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I will complain on the basis that I understood 25% +VAT on money I got back, not on money the revenue office got.
    Originally posted by mason144
    Good luck complaining about the Taxman!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 18th Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    • 90,404 Posts
    • 57,189 Thanks
    dunstonh
    What I didn't know, and what wasn't made clear to me is the fact that they charge 25% + VAT on monies the bank paid directly to HMRC in relation to the interest added to my reclaim value - I never saw a penny of it yet GB want 25% commission + VAT from me, not HMRC !!
    It really shouldnt need to be made clear as that is how it works in all walks of life.

I also think there is an issue with me having to pay VAT on tax paid to the revenue - surely this is double bubbling.
    You are not paying VAT on tax paid. You are paying VAT on a fee set by the claims company. The fact they calculate the fee based on the redress is a totally separate thing.

this to me is just wrong.
    Its not. Not even close to being wrong.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Bigchrisf
    • By Bigchrisf 18th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bigchrisf
    Good morning, this is my first post, looking for advice. I have had 2 card loans through the Halifax, I have accepted a payment of £3000 termed a goodwill payment based on the money they took which I had not been informed of. I am still awaiting an offer for my second claim. If the goodwill payments are just that, should I still chase the fact that I was sold a policy that I didnt want or need? Am I just being fobbed off? Thank you in anticipation of advice.
    Bigchrisf.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 19,127 Posts
    • 10,299 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I have accepted a payment of £3000 termed a goodwill payment .
    Originally posted by Bigchrisf
    That's the full and final conclusion of your complaint. There is no more money to "chase".
    • troublesparking
    • By troublesparking 18th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    troublesparking
    Had a rejected claim for PPI from Barclaycard. This week, out of the blue, received a cheque for over £6K via the Pelvin case. Gobsmacked, but seriously delighted. Busy doing others now. Doing happy dance all week!!
    • Almost-free
    • By Almost-free 18th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Almost-free
    I received another £331 today from my Barclays claim - imso
    Shocked but delighted too!
    • mandy1991
    • By mandy1991 19th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mandy1991
    mandy1991
    Hi - I am new to this site & just wanted to ask a question if OK. I have been advised over the phone that my mis-sold PPI claim for an HSBC mastercard has been upheld & I have been quoted over the telephone that the redress is 21.5k & a letter was sent out to me on 11th Jan. Having not received the letter as of today, I rang HSBC & they advised that a letter had not been sent out yet, and that it had now gone to the auditor for final calculations? Can anybody explain why this will have now gone to an HSBC auditor if the I was advised the redress had already been calculated?? I am just abit confused now & also a bit worried to be honest. Thank You,
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 19th Jan 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Mersey
    HSBC are sadly notoriously slow (possibly the slowest from conclusion to customers receiving redress letters). I have known them take 8 to 12 weeks, so let's hope yours is one of the speedier ones!
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • mandy1991
    • By mandy1991 19th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mandy1991
    Thanks very much for your quick response! glad to hear that then haha fingers crossed mine won't be too long then because it's week 9 now. Do you know if all PPI redress offers go through to audit ?? thanks
    • Nadinerym
    • By Nadinerym 19th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Nadinerym
    Hi,

Just sharing my success and not so successful claims:

1. Barclays:
    £859 for overdraft PPI within 1 week claiming resolver
    £99.56 for a £500 loan paid off in 12 months back in 2002. Processed within 5 weeks of claim.
    £1002 for package sent after a rejection based on cancellation in 2012 after a financial difficulty. My banker then told me that I wasn't in need of it.

2. Barclaycard
    £2092 paid by cheque sent to my old address back in 2016. After a rejection in 2012. My case was reopened. I reclaimed via resolver and chased it. I am about to claim a review of the amount as it was set on the base of the cheque issues in 2016 and not recalculated based on the date of the resolver claim.

Lloyds TSB
    £659 transfers within 30min following a phone call after a logged claim on resolver on package bank accoun

Halifax
    17 weeks on and still haven't heard from them, apart from the aknowlagment letter back in September 2017.

So yes results thanks MSE
    • peterbiggs
    • By peterbiggs 20th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    peterbiggs
    PPI fees
    Hi

Looking for some advice re PPI fees.
    Just had success with claiming PPI from Lloyds TSB via the PLEVIN method.
    Made the claim through Resolver (thanks Martin).
    The reason I eventually chose this method was because I had been using LFS claims and had a letter from them stating that unless I could provide further evidence they where closing the case.
    After I had pursued the case via Resolver LLoyds TSB finally paid up. LFS then contacted me a week later claiming 30%!
    Does anyone know whether I should pay LFS or not.
    Thanks in advance.

Peter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,669Posts Today

8,296Users online

Martin's Twitter