Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lez5075
    • By lez5075 2nd Feb 12, 4:09 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 6Thanks
    lez5075
    Beware - Simply Electronics Scam? advice plz
    • 2nd Feb 12, 4:09 PM
    Beware - Simply Electronics Scam? advice plz 2nd Feb 12 at 4:09 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I placed an order through a company called Simply Electronics for a phone. I have not heard back from the company neither by phone or email. On the phone I waited for 40 mins only to be cut off at the end. I have did a quick google search on the company and it appears they are a scam company? I'm worried about getting my money back now as i wante to cancel the order but not hearing back from them.

I paid via hsbc debit card last Sunday online order. I spoke to HSBC they said they cant help as the money has gone through. What are my options now in getting the money back?
    Last edited by lez5075; 02-02-2012 at 8:17 PM.
Page 3
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 18th Feb 14, 9:07 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    stoneman
    I placed an order with simply electronics on the 18th of December. On the 20th I emailed them to cancel after reading reviews on other sites. I received an acknowledgment of the cancellation on the 21st December.
    Then there followed several emails from them keeping me informed of the processing of my order. I emailed back each time telling them that I had cancelled, and each time they replied not to worry. I did keep asking when my refund would be processed and they kept giving me lame excuses.
    Then on the 2nd. of January I got an email saying that my order had been shipped and would receive it in a few days.
    I emailed them saying that I had canceled the order back in December.
    They admitted there mistake and told me not accept the delivery, which is what happened on the 6th of January.
    Now they are saying that they have not received the package back and until this happens they will not refund me.
    I informed them that what happens to the parcel is no concern of mine, that is between them and DHL, but they seem hell bent on making me responsible for the loss, even though they know that I never handled the parcel. It is now 7 weeks since they took my money.
    Scam company, only thing to do is get my credit card company to refund me.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • vickismith
    Never EVER going to buy off these people again!!!!
    I ordered a phone in December: 3 months today exactly. Did not receive this Christmas present!
    I pestered them for such a long time and never got a proper response. Heard a load of people say that they didn't get their money back so I didn't want to ask for a refund and I was prepared to wait for the phone, expecting it to turn up in January some time.
    Only 3 days ago did I get a refund that I decided to ask for.
    Just let me warn you, you're gambling on it if you buy an item with this site. Some people have had no trouble at all, but when you do, you'll find it difficult to get out of it.
  • R James
    After making a purchase with Simply Electronics Ltd. for over £500 I needed to cancel my order straight away.
    I was sent an email confirming that my request was 'being processed' and then a follow up email stating that I would receive a refund 'shortly'.
    Then every week, for the past 4wks!, I have contacted them by phone and email requesting a refund but I just get generic replies stating that 'my refund is being processed'. When I call the 0115 number (Nottingham area code)I get put through to Hong Kong! where their 'customer service' is based. I have called over 5 times and always get excuses stating 'my refund is being processed'. If I try to escalate the matter and ask to speak to a manager or line manager, all I get is abuse/ sarcasm and more excuses.
    Thus company is obviously fraudulent as they are not interested in customer service and want to keep hold of your money for as long as possible. I have obviously taken out a fraud case with my credit card company, but this all takes time and patience.
    I not that some customers have left positive reviews on forums about this company. I would advise you to ignore them as they are probably generated by Simply Electronics as part of their wider scam.
    STAY WELL CLEAR. Do not be blinded by their cheaper deals!!!
  • viewtoahill
    This company continues to scam us.

I ordered a phone from Simply Electronics but had a change of plan, so a few days later I looked at my order status and was informed that the item was not yet despatched.
    I emailed the company stating that I wanted to cancel my order. Within 24 hours I received a reply in which confirmation was given that the item had not yet been sent, but also requesting that I confirm my desire to cancel the order. I was also instructed that, ‘should they not be able to stop the order from being despatched in time, that I should simply refuse delivery, and once it arrived back at their depot they would refund me’. In hindsight I believe this meant that the item had already left whatever country it was in (certainly not the UK) and could therefore not be stopped.
    I replied immediately, confirming my request to cancel.

The next day I received an email from a different department, kindly informing me that the item was now en route and in Holland, and stated the anticipated delivery date.
    The item arrived 15 days after I had ordered it but the courier didn’t wait but half a minute for me to get to the door before disappearing, thus preventing me from refusing delivery. Nothing was put through my door but an hour or so later the delivery company sent me an email informing me that the item was with my neighbour.

The bag and inner protective wrapping were both still intact, but the ‘void if broken’ seal was indeed broken and a piece of green tape placed over the sticker, so evidently the phone had already been opened, and was effectively a used item.

My subsequent attempts to contact the person who dealt with the order cancellation have received no replies.

I am still waiting for a non-automatic response to my complaint and desire to return the item for a full refund.

I am, however, nervous about returning this item as I fear they will falsely accuse me of being the person who broke the seal, and use that argument to justify not refunding me.

Any pennies one might save by shopping here will be overpaid in stress, frustration, disappointment, and dissatisfaction.

AVOID THEM!
  • Ngautrey
    Shocking Avoid
    Not a lot more to add other than more of the same. If you want problems use them.
  • ty-dapa
    I used them. Goods arrived - eventually. Trying to cancel the order seemed to move them along. I cancelled the order after waiting 3 weeks, and, lo and behold, the goods arrived 2 days later.
    I had found them by following a sponsored link on Amazon, so I have just emailed Amazon suggesting they avoid endorsing them in this fashion.
  • law2563
    Simply Electronics
    After reading the posts regarding this company I was nervous after having ordered Apple TV for my grandsons birthday present. However the goods arrived when they were promised. I don't know if the package, (which was well wrapped, given the contents) came from Hong Kong or not but I certainly had no Customs charges to pay once it arrived. I ended up paying £20 less than if I bought the item from Apple direct. So credit where it's due - I would recommend this supplier
    • keyser666
    • By keyser666 6th Jun 14, 12:31 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    keyser666
    After reading the posts regarding this company I was nervous after having ordered Apple TV for my grandsons birthday present. However the goods arrived when they were promised. I don't know if the package, (which was well wrapped, given the contents) came from Hong Kong or not but I certainly had no Customs charges to pay once it arrived. I ended up paying £20 less than if I bought the item from Apple direct. So credit where it's due - I would recommend this supplier
    Originally posted by law2563
    really? .
    • BaldacchinoR
    • By BaldacchinoR 7th Jun 14, 6:40 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    BaldacchinoR
    Apart from the Distance Selling Regs. which should apply if the seller is trading in the UK, and especially if they use a UK website address; apart from the fact that you have not received the item and are thus entitled to a refund anyway; and that you are entitled to a refund if you have been defrauded; HSBC are not doing what they should for you, so I would advise you to change your bank.

You should tell HSBC you want to make a chargeback claim, if the phone cost less than £100. They should refund you and then pursue the seller themselves.

If it cost more than £100, you should have paid by credit card as you would also have had (in addition to the chargeback facility), S75 (Consumer Credit Act) protection and claimed from the credit card company who would normally refund you.
    Last edited by BaldacchinoR; 07-06-2014 at 6:41 AM. Reason: grammar correction.
  • beaks87
    I've bought a camera and a lens from them in the past and they arrived in a few days on both occasions. Even though it's an overseas company, I think the stock is held in the UK. It is "grey market" stuff though.

I just checked my order history with them. It looks like the camera I bought was dispatched 5 days after the order date. I remember contacting them to change the order slightly. On the second occasion, the lens was sent on the day of the order. I received it next day.

Where did you get the info that it was a scam? There's still a link to Simplyelectronics on Topcashback.
    Originally posted by trukdiver
    Your lucky, i put order in 6/9/14 and today 14/9/14 my item still not dispatched and have had no reply to emails from them. Was for a bday present bit late now.
    • wooder
    • By wooder 21st Nov 14, 6:33 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    wooder
    Ordered a Canon 10/18 wide angle zoom lens after phoning them to check they had stock - the communication was good and it was delivered about twelve days later, brand new, well packaged and exactly as it should be. It was miles cheaper than anywhere else and I did not have to pay any duties.

I had read all the reviews and it seems quite a lot of the negative ones were from people who had ordered and then tried to cancel after a couple of days for whatever reason. I soon realised that delivery is a lottery and I would not advise anyone to order if there is a deadline looming, eg. birthday/xmas present, holiday, etc.

I was not in any hurry for the lens and I decided to just order and then forget about it until it arrived. I paid for it with a credit card so had some protection there. The website said despatched in 3-4 business days, or something like that, but I took that with a pinch of salt.

Overall, I am completely satisfied with the purchase - I was not expecting next day delivery and twelve days wait was absolutely fine by me to get it at the price I did.

I would use them again.
  • Fludd
    Give em a chance I say...
    I'd recommend these no probs, I got an iPad Air 2 at the cheapest price ever on the net. They state 7-10 days, it came in 13. From feedback here and a few other forums it does seem a few folk have had issues in receiving stuff in time for Xmas presents etc, which I can understand. I guess if you're not in a rush, then there's no problem. Saying this company are a scam however is unjustified and unsubstantiated. They are real company selling good electronic equipment, they just seem a little slow when it comes to the logistics. Give em a chance I say..... I did, and I'm now writing this review on my new iPad 13 days after purchase.
  • jamesright
    I was looking to place an order with simply electronics. After some search I have found there are bad reviews about the company everywhere. The thing that put me off was not actually bad reviews because many competitors are also putting bad reviews on different forums. The issue I had was that they are not in UK/EU but in Hong Kong and there seems to be an attempt to hide IP information. Personally I will pay more to local retailer for peace of mind.
    • trukdiver
    • By trukdiver 13th Mar 15, 1:06 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    trukdiver
    I'd recommend these no probs, I got an iPad Air 2 at the cheapest price ever on the net. They state 7-10 days, it came in 13. From feedback here and a few other forums it does seem a few folk have had issues in receiving stuff in time for Xmas presents etc, which I can understand. I guess if you're not in a rush, then there's no problem. Saying this company are a scam however is unjustified and unsubstantiated. They are real company selling good electronic equipment, they just seem a little slow when it comes to the logistics. Give em a chance I say..... I did, and I'm now writing this review on my new iPad 13 days after purchase.
    Originally posted by Fludd
    You joined in January, made one post to say how good they are then never post again?
    • Waynedl
    • By Waynedl 20th Apr 16, 10:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Waynedl
    WHY did I not do research first??? :( AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!!
    Just cancelled order after 2 week wait - still not even packed!!!

As with everyone else who've reviewed these shysters, I ordered an item (in my case, an LG G4) that was showing 'in stock, 2-5 days dispatch'.
    13 days later, the item still isn't dispatched, or packed, it's 'in a queue'.
    They took the money out instantly of course..
    So, they've had my money for 13 days, but not dispatched the item that they claim to have 'in stock'.
    They are either thieves or they're using other peoples money like a pyramid scheme.
    DO NOT let them use your money!!
    • dawn191
    • By dawn191 7th Jun 16, 9:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dawn191
    Avoid simplyelectronics.net
    Terrible website. AVOID AT ALL COST. Unfortunately, I did not do any research either. I fell into the trap of trusting Google shop (I shan't be making that mistake again). The company took £300 off me for a non-existent iPad which was to be delivered in 10 business days. 14 business days, I went on the website to track my order to see that the order was still being processed. Worried, I went to contact the business to find the number does not work and the email adress doesn't. After writing a review on the website.. They contacted me requesting to take the review down. THE CHEEK. Anyway, I said, if you refund my money, I will take the review down. 2-3 business days they said the money will be my account. 4 BUSINESS DAYS LATER I email the company asking where my money was. Apparently, they have a new system in place and it would take an additional 9 business days for the money to come into my account. 15 BUSINESS DAYS LATER and I am still i-padless and missing £300. AVOID at all cost.
    • michele216
    • By michele216 17th Jun 16, 10:40 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michele216
    Nightmare
    Ok ordered on 13/05/16 and cancelled on 02/06/16 after my order went through 13 different status changes but being nowhere near dispatch. Today is 17/06/16 and I've still not received my £195 back. After repeated phone calls emails I was assured I would get the money by today, those customer service staff must sure get some abuse. The latest excuse was there has been a "system glitch" which has delayed my refund...REALLY??!! Even my refund status changed 4 times its now ranted as a priority refund!!

Paid on Visa Debit card which made me nervous but I contacted HSBC today and told them I wanted a charge back, they took the details said they would put my money back in my account in one day and challenge the transaction with the company. Unless they can prove delivery there will not be a problem! Thank goodness for HSBC! I will in future pay for any online transaction by CC and also do my research fully and not be blinded by the product being £40 cheaper!! AVOID!!!
    Last edited by michele216; 17-06-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    • michele216
    • By michele216 17th Jun 16, 10:45 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michele216
    Refund
    Contact your bank or CC company for charge back! Good luck!
    • Jimgl09
    • By Jimgl09 28th Jun 16, 11:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimgl09
    Avoid this firm
    Returned faulty item under warranty. Firm then lost said item. I asked for a refund refused under Distance Selling Regulations which do not apply...still waiting for return or refund. Over two months now.Anyone else having similar problems?
    • Don Keiller
    • By Don Keiller 8th Jul 16, 8:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Don Keiller
    Never EVER buy from Simply Electronics- they are a scam.
    I ordered an Apple iPad Air 2 (Gold) with Wi-Fi 16GB and one month later it still has not arrived.

Simply Electronics is still advertising this item on your website as “in stock” and with delivery “usually dispatched in 2-5 business days”

I have taken a time-dated screenshot and reported them to Trading Standards
    They are crooks.

Regrettably I can only conclude that Simply Electronics is a fraudulent operation
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,920Users online

Martin's Twitter