Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Legal Ombudsman
    Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question
    • 3rd Jun 15, 12:11 PM
    Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question 3rd Jun 15 at 12:11 PM
    Have you used a CMC to reclaim PPI or other financial products and received poor service? The Legal Ombudsman is here to answer your CMC queries and concerns. We resolve complaints about legal service providers and CMCs and our service is free.

It may be that your CMC has:
    • failed to do what they agreed
    • hasn’t handled your mis-sold PPI claim the way you expected them to
    • has been slow in responding
    • increased their charges without explaining why
    • unreasonably refused you a service
    • pressured you to accept a service you did not want
    We will investigate your complaint and if we decide the service you received was unreasonable, we can make sure your CMC puts it right.

How to get in touch with your questions and concerns

We're happy to answer your questions in this thread, so just reply below and we'll get back to you.

Alternatively there are lots of other ways you can get in touch.

1. Use our live chat function Mon-Fri between 08:30am and 5:30pm: https://legalombudsman.live-chat-help.com/
    2. Call us Mon-Fri between 08:30am-5:30pm on 0300 555 0333 or on our minicom 0300 555 1777
    3. Email us on cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk
    4. Or write to us at Legal ombudsman, PO Box 6804, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WG

You can also follow us on facebook or twitter @Legal_Ombudsman
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 21-07-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
Page 9
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 18th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    Hello

We note your comments and we always welcome feedback. Please could I ask you to send over the case details (name, case number) and we would be happy to look at this?

You can email cmcenquiries@legalombudsman.org.uk.

Thanks.
    Ama
    Originally posted by Legal Ombudsman

It's now been passed to a senior investigator.
    • Pigletntrekky
    • By Pigletntrekky 19th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pigletntrekky
    Great Thank you very much!
    • H&C
    • By H&C 9th Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H&C
    It is a shame that the LO is soft touch and doesnt work in the same way as the FOS (who look at fairness of £25 fees whereas CMCs can get tens of thousands of pounds without a blink of an eye).
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    It is assumed that for CMCs their ombudsman scheme will be changing from LeO to the FOS in 2019. So with the Limitation Act 1980 giving consumers 6 years from when the contract was signed with the CMC to claim for compensation, consumers may be better off waiting until 2019 to make their claim against the CMC. However BE WARNED, firstly that the legislation hasn't yet gone through Parliament, secondly that the CMC may have gone into liquidation by 2019 and lastly that the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) would not cover CMC activity.
    • ItsOKtheyknowmehere.
    • By ItsOKtheyknowmehere. 1st Dec 17, 9:55 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ItsOKtheyknowmehere.
    Its taken so long.....
    I began a claim in September 2016 with Action Direct. At first I was being called by them every day sometimes more than once a day and receiving a constant stream of letters and forms to fill in. Different people would ask me to do the same think over and over I felt like I was being bombarded! Then it all went quiet and I heard nothing until 12 months later in September 2017 the calls and letters started again, by which time I was fed up with the whole thing and wanted it all to just stop. Obviously nothing was going to come of it so I told them I'd had enough and didn't want to continue. Now they are saying I have to pay charges for cancelling of £85 for every hour they have worked on my case. Can this be correct? or are they just trying to get some money back from me because there is no claim to be made from my banks? I am now very worried. I would be grateful of any advice.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 1st Dec 17, 10:41 PM
    • 90,375 Posts
    • 57,163 Thanks
    dunstonh
    by which time I was fed up with the whole thing and wanted it all to just stop.
    If you are with BT, they have an excellent, free of charge, service called BT call blocker. They auto block known scam/spam callers and you can add your own blacklist (usually by dialling 1572 after receiving the scam/spam call - that adds them to the blacklist). Being on TPS cut the number of calls down a bit. BT call blocker means I go from getting 2-3 calls a day (despite TPS) to less than 1 a fortnight now.

or are they just trying to get some money back from me because there is no claim to be made from my banks?
    We dont know what service they provided you or what terms you agreed. Can you let us know?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Legal Ombudsman
    I began a claim in September 2016 with Action Direct. At first I was being called by them every day sometimes more than once a day and receiving a constant stream of letters and forms to fill in. Different people would ask me to do the same think over and over I felt like I was being bombarded! Then it all went quiet and I heard nothing until 12 months later in September 2017 the calls and letters started again, by which time I was fed up with the whole thing and wanted it all to just stop. Obviously nothing was going to come of it so I told them I'd had enough and didn't want to continue. Now they are saying I have to pay charges for cancelling of £85 for every hour they have worked on my case. Can this be correct? or are they just trying to get some money back from me because there is no claim to be made from my banks? I am now very worried. I would be grateful of any advice.
    Originally posted by ItsOKtheyknowmehere.

The issues you raise will be very dependent on the contract you have signed with your claims management company. If you want to give us a call we would be happy to discuss this in more detail and advise you on raising a complaint. Please call us on 0300 555 0333.
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
    • Ajg0901
    • By Ajg0901 5th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ajg0901
    Hi I have a quick question. I used a CMC to get ppi money back in 2015. This was from the Clydesdale bank. I was paid redress in 2015 and paid the fees to the CMC. My question is I have applied again to the Clydesdale bank myself 2 weeks ago and my complaint has been upheld. Do I have to pay the original CMC again or Can I keep all the money. I haven’t had any letters demanding fees etc but the bank sent them a copy of the letter. I phoned the CMC and asked if I had any outstanding claims with them and they said no. I also phoned the Clydesdale bank to tell them the CMC isn’t involved in this new claim and they said they would remove them from fire correspondence.
    • Ajg0901
    • By Ajg0901 5th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ajg0901
    The new complaint was for other accounts that weren’t investigated in the original complaint.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 90,375 Posts
    • 57,163 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Do I have to pay the original CMC again or Can I keep all the money.
    No. it is all yours to keep. See page 2 - additional client fees:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342291/Claims-management-regulation-business-bulletin-Aug-2014.pdf
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Ajg0901
    • By Ajg0901 5th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ajg0901
    Thanks for your help just grateful I don’t need to pay them anymore money.
    • david1912
    • By david1912 14th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    david1912
    Help Your Claim (HYC)
    where do i start i went to this lot as i received a email and with only not long being finished paying into a trust deed in Scotland to clear all my debt i thought it would be nice to then get something back but after they made the claim to my bank on my behalf and not once asking me if i had been in a trust deed. the bank sent me a letter saying my claim was successful but i wouldn't be receiving anything as i still had debt with the bank even after my trust deed was finished. so i contacted HYC to explain this and they said but you have been successful so you need to pay £1606 to them asap. is this right if they never asked me about trust deed can they force this
  • Legal Ombudsman
    where do i start i went to this lot as i received a email and with only not long being finished paying into a trust deed in Scotland to clear all my debt i thought it would be nice to then get something back but after they made the claim to my bank on my behalf and not once asking me if i had been in a trust deed. the bank sent me a letter saying my claim was successful but i wouldn't be receiving anything as i still had debt with the bank even after my trust deed was finished. so i contacted HYC to explain this and they said but you have been successful so you need to pay £1606 to them asap. is this right if they never asked me about trust deed can they force this
    Originally posted by david1912

Hi David1912,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your claims management company (CMC). It would all depend what agreement you had with the CMC and what information was explained to you during the process. We would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail and we could help you with raising a complaint with the CMC if you feel the service provided was poor.

Please call us on 0300 555 0333 or email CMC@legalombudsman.org.uk and we can discuss it in more detail.
    • ramblingdan
    • By ramblingdan 9th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ramblingdan
    Help with Professional Reclaim Services
    just a quick bit of advise if possible.

friend of mine has been dealing with professional reclaim services.
    Long story short.
    She asked them to look in to PPI for her except the bank she was already dealing with. She filled in all the documents with the companies she wanted them to contact and specifically didn't include the bank she had already put a claim in with direct and sent them back to them.
    PRS contacted the bank she told them not to deal with (and also didn't sign to say they could deal with it).
    the bank have paid out for the credit card she had with them (not the bank account) and now PRS are claiming that they want the commission on this pay out.
    We have asked for proof that we asked them to deal with it and they can't provide it (as they don't have it) but are now suggesting bailiffs and CCJ to reclaim the money.
    We have always answered the calls to them and asked them for the proof we have asked them to deal with it on every call and asked for a manager to speak to about it as well but never get anywhere.
    We have said we will pay if they can provide us with the signed documents and or call transcripts to say they were authorised to do so thus creating a legally binding agreement.

we have already complained in writing to them but no response and are now getting daily calls and texts treating debt collectors for the sum of £88.42 and daily charges will be incurred as well.

What are the next steps with this company.

from my understanding they used to trade under Harrington Financial but now operate under Professional Reclaim services which is a trading name of Pacific Financial Claims Ltd (company number 09428031)

Any advise welcome on this before we take it to a solicitor for a cease and desist and then court action against the company for harrassment.
  • Legal Ombudsman
    Hi Ramblingdan,

Sorry to hear that your friend has had so many problems with their claims management company (CMC). We would ask that they raise these concerns as a complaint with the CMC (which they already have) and then wait 8 weeks to receive a response. After 8 weeks has passed, or if the CMC comes back with a final response before the 8 weeks, and they remain unsatisfied then we can then look into the complaint.

A lot of it would depend what terms and conditions and contracts were signed with the CMC and what conversations took place around which accounts they were going to claim on.

As your friend is getting daily calls and charges we would advise that they give us a call to go through this all in more detail. We may be able to offer some support with the complaints process and could contact the CMC in question.

If you could ask them to call us on 0300 555 0333 we’d be happy to talk this all over with them. You could also act as their representative if they’d prefer.
    • ramblingdan
    • By ramblingdan 15th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ramblingdan
    Thanks for your response. I have passed this information on.

in your reply you say "We would ask that they raise these concerns as a complaint with the CMC (which they already have) and then wait 8 weeks to receive a response'
    Does this mean a complaint has already been logged against them on this situation?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 14,896 Posts
    • 15,722 Thanks
    zx81
    No. It means they need to wait 8 weeks from sending in that complaint, before escalating to the Ombudsman if no reply has been received.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 19,119 Posts
    • 10,295 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Does this mean a complaint has already been logged against them on this situation?
    Originally posted by ramblingdan
    Nothing has so far been "logged" by the Legal Ombudsman. The CMC has eight weeks in which to consider your friend's complaint. At the end of those eight weeks, an Ombudsman referral can be made if there is no response or the response leaves you dissatisfied.

I wouldn't be engaging any solicitors, by the way..
  • Legal Ombudsman
    Thanks for your response. I have passed this information on.

in your reply you say "We would ask that they raise these concerns as a complaint with the CMC (which they already have) and then wait 8 weeks to receive a response'
    Originally posted by ramblingdan
    Before we can look at a complaint, you have to have made a complaint to the service provider (CMC) and give them 8 weeks to resolve the complaint. If 8 weeks has passed and you haven't heard back, or they do respond within the 8 weeks but you remain unhappy you can come to us.

You mentioned that your friend had already complained to the CMC so that is the first step. We'd be happy to talk to them if they'd like any more information.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

255Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter