Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 5th Nov 12, 5:58 PM
    • 8,874Posts
    • 21,275Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Ask a StepChange (formerly CCCS) counsellor a bankruptcy question
    • 5th Nov 12, 5:58 PM
    Ask a StepChange (formerly CCCS) counsellor a bankruptcy question 5th Nov 12 at 5:58 PM
    StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) has several counsellors answering questions in our forum.

There are three ways to contact them:

1 - To ask them a question please post it below and Allen, Linsi, Kirsty Rachael or Richard will post a reply here.

2 - If you would prefer to ask a question in private you can send a private message to StepChange Private Messages and one of the counsellors will get back to you.

3 – StepChange Debt Remedy is a free and confidential online debt advice tool. You can put a budget together at your pace, and you can also talk it over with an advisor through online chat.

This thread continues from the previous Ask a counsellor a question thread one
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-12-2016 at 1:40 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 62
    • $izzle$
    • By $izzle$ 9th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    $izzle$
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I have sent the query off to The Insolvency Service as suggested.
    • Bluehat1
    • By Bluehat1 16th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bluehat1
    Considering bankruptcy.Debts are around 45k,all on credit cards. I now have more money going out than coming in,even just paying minimum amounts.
    My income is from State benefits (pip,esa and housing benefit) plus a small personal pension.
    Having done an SOA,I would have a few hundred pounds surplus every month in bankruptcy.
    Could this money be taken from me as an IPA,even though it is Disability related?
  • StepChange_Linsi
    Hello

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

When going bankrupt all income needs to be declared but disability living allowance (DLA), attendance allowance (AA) and personal independence payment (PIP) are not counted as income when working out an IPA. Other state benefits and pensions are classed as income when working out an IPA.

If you receive state benefits along with another non-benefit income (such as a private pension), an IPA can be made. Having said this, the IPA amount must not exceed the non-benefit income.

You can apply to go bankrupt through the GOV.UK website. If you get stuck completing the application or if you have any questions about the information you need to provide you can call the Insolvency Service Helpline on 0300 678 0015.

Before you make a decision I’d also recommend you use our online Debt Remedy tool, just to make sure bankruptcy is the right solution for you. It’s free to use and takes about 20 minutes to complete Here’s the link.

I hope this helps,

Linsi

Considering bankruptcy.Debts are around 45k,all on credit cards. I now have more money going out than coming in,even just paying minimum amounts.
    My income is from State benefits (pip,esa and housing benefit) plus a small personal pension.
    Having done an SOA,I would have a few hundred pounds surplus every month in bankruptcy.
    Could this money be taken from me as an IPA,even though it is Disability related?
    Originally posted by Bluehat1
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,104Posts Today

7,643Users online

Martin's Twitter