HMV false advertising

Options
I went out to buy a Wii U today.

My local HMV had a large display just by the door with various bundles at a quite good price, so I thought I would get one.
  1. I got the attention of a salesperson and said I would like one.
  2. She said she thought they didn't have any in stock.
  3. So I asked when they were getting some.
  4. She said she wasn't sure but could check.
  5. I said sure, that's fine.
  6. She said they didn't have any due.
  7. I asked if I could order one for when they were due in.
  8. She said they didn't have any on order.
  9. I asked if I could order one for when they next came in.
  10. She said they couldn't accept orders.
  11. Huh?
So, HMV have a big display up offering an item for sale that they (a) don't have, (b) haven't ordered, and (c) aren't accepting orders for.

What the heck is the point?

Comments

• bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    Because they no doubt had alternative bundles in stock - Wii U as far as I'm aware comes as basic package & premium package, most likely they had one but not the other. Not being able to order one for when they come in is standard practice particularly as there will be no clear indication as to when the stock will arrive.

Seriously your complaining about something which is a non-issue - basic fact is that Nintendo had 40,000 units of Wii U stock available for sale in the UK for launch. Between you & me that's a stupidly low amount of stock & does nothing but increase the hype while causing numerous headaches.

Or perhaps you'd prefer HMV to accept an order giving you false hope your kids would get one for Christmas only for them to be the big bad company when they can't deliver stock?
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Because they're hoping you'll buy something else instead. For top dollar, no doubt.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Because they no doubt had alternative bundles in stock - Wii U as far as I'm aware comes as basic package & premium package, most likely they had one but not the other. Not being able to order one for when they come in is standard practice particularly as there will be no clear indication as to when the stock will arrive.

But if he wanted a WiiU basic, they only had premium, or vice versa, shouldn't they have offered that as an alternative instead of just being told that they don't have any?
  • preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I remember when there was a nintendo wii shortage when it first came out and i would not be suprised i this is the same thing xD
  • MamaMoo_2
    MamaMoo_2 Posts: 2,644 Forumite
    Options
    preable wrote: »
    I remember when there was a nintendo wii shortage when it first came out and i would not be suprised i this is the same thing xD

This. I was working for Gamestation when they released the Wii. It was a shambles. We couldn't order stock (HO did it all for us), we couldn't allow people to order them (due to the popularity all we could do was call them when we had stock, couldn't hold anything as this was deemed fairer?) and we didn't know we were getting stock until we got a delivery. It was a mess, but also entirely Nintendo's fault. They never have updates on when we'd get stock, and the warehouse, like us, only knew about planned deliveries when they turned up.
    One rumour, unsure if it's true as it sounds stupid, was that their factory would make Wii consoles for a week, and then the moulds on the machines would be changed and they'd make DS's for a week. (This was also the year the DS Lite came out and also had low stock)
    Either way, Nintendo are pretty poo suppliers.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    I worked for HMV during the Wii launch and I concur with MamaMoo it was a shambles, the amount of abuse we had to put up with at that time was insane! Like I pointed out, that's not a retailer issue - that's squarely down to Nintendo, for what it's worth apparently they only had 400,000 units available for the US launch!

On the subject of "well why didn't they offer the alternative" - as I do not know the circumstances of either the offer nor the encounter I can't say either way. It could be the staff member believed that it HAD to be one and the other would not be acceptable - not exactly outwith the realms of possibility without wanting to cast doubt on the OP or the staff member.

But the point still stands, there's a lot of huff & puff when ultimately it would be short stocked, it will be difficult to get hold of & HMV are acting perfectly reasonably. They are after all allowed to advertise the bundle in order to attract interest for when the stock comes in. Speaking from experience we often got little or no warning we were getting deliveries of Wii's - literally the first we knew was getting the boxes in the delivery bay. Now sorry to be a pest, but if you think it's reasonable to expect staff to tear out a section, replace it with something else only to at a moments notice put the section back in at this time of year you're crazy. That's not going to happen any time soon!

(hark at me defending HMV - never thought I'd see the day!)
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • preable
    Options
    I concur that nintendo are rubbish suppliers. When the wii shortage happend people were so desprate that cex were selling them for double the retail price and people would pay it xD
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You would at least think, they should remove the advertising and/or put up a notice to say all Wii U's are out of stock, if they are.

I remember all the fuss about the Wii Fit when it came out. My mate, like thousands, searched high and low for one. In the end we were in Poland for a few days and he got one from the shop out there.

Mind you this sort of things has been going on for years. I remember my mum, having to try a dozen or more shops to find one which had a ZX81 in stock, back in 1982.
  • preable
    Options
    Pankle wrote: »
    The ZX81 is a scam.

This made me lol
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Pankle wrote: »
    The ZX81 is a scam.

This made me confused :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business