IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

still unsure :(

Options
hi all.
what a brill website ,ive been trawling this forum for a day and half and only just scratched the surface.

i recieved a pcn from parking eye last week stating i didnt buy i ticket in a morrisons car park,which im afraid to say i didnt because i was waiting in car while wife popped in morrisons for a few things we forgot earlier .i was photographed by anpr going in and leaving 30 minutes later.

now bearing im in mind a newbie and i have read all the stickies etc and lots of other posts i still have a couple of querys.
1.if i was in the same car park a couple of days before and i bought a ticket, am i some how weakening my case because i already knew about buying a ticket(it was 1 of those machines that you have to put full reg number in)
2.can i still say signs were inadequate ?(because of above point )
3.although you say i can win,other sites are gauranteeing to get the invoice cancelled for £!6 do i stand a better chance by using them or they just sending more or less the same templates and charging for the privilage ?i would rather save the £16 if the chances are equal :)
4.popla must be be seeing hundreds of these templates ,do they not lose their efficiency if we are all saying the same thing?

thanks in advance ,please dont slag me off too much i am trying :rotfl:and i do appreciate all the work you do .

Comments

• grant_uk
    grant_uk Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Spider

The grounds on which you will end up appealing the parking charge you've been invoiced for will have nothing to do with whenever you may have visited the car park before. The main one will be about how they justify the amount they charge you, but don't dismiss the signage issue either.

I've recently submitted a POPLA appeal on behalf of my step-son and I was also unsure about the signage issue. I ended up paying a visit to the retail park concerned and I noticed a discrepancy between the charge amounts on different signs, which may well be enough on its own to make any contract null and void. The height of the signs and the size of the small print is also an issue that should be part of your appeal

I took photos of the signs which were submitted along with the appeal. The main sign on the way in didn't contain much detail of the contract drivers were supposed to be agreeing to. It was therefore difficult to see how anyone can agree to said contract without having already parked up and gone up to one of the smaller signs with the small print on it.

That seems to the case with most of these parking operations and I imagine yours is no different. All valid parts of your appeal and all directly related to signage. If you were parked in broad daylight, just don't use any appeal text that refers to night time unless you can think of an angle that supports your case.

You can use the service that some are providing, but as long as you do your homework and get the content of your appeal checked on here, you should be fine and it'll cost you nowt.

POPLA have yet to disallow appeals that cover the areas advised in the stickies on here, so this is definitely the way to go for the time being.

Please don't be put off by the amount of text in the appeals people have posted and you should ensure that the words you do use reflect your own situation. I.e. an appeal based on parking that doesn't require a ticket doesn't quite fit yours.

If you have receipts or bank statements that show you made purchases at Morrisons on the day in question, you should approach them directly and see if they can get the ticket quashed. This can and does happen.

At the same time, set the ball rolling by putting together your initial appeal to the parking company concerned, in the full expectation of that being rejected. Once you have your POPLA number you can then concentrate on your actual appeal based on the information in the stickies, plus anything else you can add.

Hope that helps a bit anyway.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1. If you had truly read and understood the stickies you would know that "what happened" is irrelevant, your appeal will be based on legal technicalities, what you knew or didn't know is neither here nor there.

2. Why not? How on earth would they know you bought a ticket previously?

3. The site which charges £16 to get the ticket cancelled is run by regulars from this forum. In other words, they are simply putting into action exactly what is advised here.

4. It's not an English GCSE, PoPLA doesn't award marks for originality or deduct marks for copying.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • grant_uk
    grant_uk Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    4. It's not an English GCSE, PoPLA doesn't award marks for originality or deduct marks for copying.

Indeed, they seem to reward people for copying the advice on this forum by allowing their appeals :)
  • spider123456
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    1. If you had truly read and understood the stickies you would know that "what happened" is irrelevant, your appeal will be based on legal technicalities, what you knew or didn't know is neither here nor there.
    it is a lot to take in all at once but i did read it and was only trying to tell you all the facts so you could make a reply:o

2. Why not? How on earth would they know you bought a ticket previously?
    because if they kept records of registration numbers they could possibly check,i was only trying to think of what they might say in their reply:o

thanks to all that have replied
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So to confirm
    Appeal as per Newbies thread as registered keeper to NTK
    Wait for rejection
    Write POPLA appeal and get it checked the. Send.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • spider123456
    Options
    i have sent off the appeal and waiting for the rejection letter. im preparing my appeal to popla but was just wondering can i still claim No GPEOL if i didnt buy a ticket because i suppose they lost the £1 ticket money ,,or is the main point of the No GPEOL argument the fact the charges far outway the £1 loss.
    i cant seem to find a template for this
    thanks for looking
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't the time to look through all this thread but can I just clarify something.

You went into Morrisons car park, deliberately didn't buy a ticket even though you parked there for
    half an hour and you know you should have bought a ticket.

Where are your grounds for appeal....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 July 2014 at 8:53PM
    Options
    gpeol has nothing to do with your ticket

a gpeol would be the cost of any charges for parking plus some recovery costs , say £12 to £16

so thats a genuine estimate of the landowners loss

anything above that like £85 to £100 is therefore NOT a gpeol by the operator , so its a punishment or penalty , which is why not a gpeol tends to win

you are confusing gpeol with the cost of the ticket (if bought)

if it was a free car park, no ticket required, then £100 charged for overstaying or parked on a white line is not a gpeol is it ?

ie:- what have they lost , whatever it is, that is what they can claim back

suggest you read more and get your head around it

popla appeals are linked in post #3 of the newbies thread

as for the last post, the punishment far outweighs the "crime" so under the law they cannot charge more than a reasonable amount for any losses, so if they were claiming say £10 you would be correct , assuming they actually have a contract that allows them to charge, and as long as the signs meet the law and the BPA CoP
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apologies for dusting this off again.
    You are making the newbies' common mistake which is "I done wrong, guv, so they are right to charge me. How can I defend that??".

Our point is " regardless of the facts, PPCs are penalising motorists to a ludicrous extent to which they are not entitled and we concentrate on helping people based on that point"

Suppose you had been caught doing 35 mph in a 30 mph limit. You get to the Magistrates court and they say "Guilty. Lock him up for 2 years".

You would get a brief to appeal the sentence, not the verdict.

So that's the case here. You are appealing the "sentence" of £100 that does not fit the "crime",

So, you major on the "No genuine pre-estimate of loss" point.

Basically, that's it in a nutshell.
  • spider123456
    spider123456 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2014 at 9:45PM
    Options
    hi ,received my rejection from parkingeye and have prepared a popla appeal ,does this look about right? thanks for looking..............

Re: ParkingEye PCN, reference code xxxxxxxxxx
    POPLA Code:

I am the registered keeper and I wish to appeal a recent parking charge from Parking Eye. I submit the points below to show that I am not liable for the parking charge:

1) No genuine pre-estimate of loss
    2) No standing or authority to pursue charges nor form contracts with drivers
    3) The signage was not readable
    4) The ANPR system is unreliable and neither synchronised nor accurate

1) No genuine pre-estimate of loss
    This car park is Pay and Display. Having received the Notice in the post I checked the signage in daylight and it seems that up to 2 hours would have cost £2 so the only recoverable sum under the POFA 2012 is the sum of the alleged 'outstanding' parking charge = £2.00 at the most.
    In ParkingEye v Smith at Manchester County Court in 2011, claim number 1XJ81016, the original claim of £240 was deemed an unrecoverable penalty, unrelated to damages incurred and the only sum that could be recovered was deemed to be £15 (the amount of the pay and display fee for more than one visit). The entirety of the parking charge must be a genuine pre-estimate of loss in order to be enforceable. As the PCN sum is massively inflated over and above £2.00, I require ParkingEye to submit a breakdown of how this sum was calculated prior to the parking event, as being capable of directly flowing from a minor alleged breach.
    The ParkingEye Notice to Keeper alleges 'breach of terms/failure to comply' and as such, the landowner/occupier (not their agent) can only pursue liquidated damages directly flowing from the parking event. This might be, for example, a reasonable sum based purely upon the alleged lost parking revenue, or even loss of retail revenue at a shopping centre if another car was prevented from parking. However, this is not the case because the occupants of the car recall that the car park was mostly empty on arrival and almost empty when the driver left.
    The Operator cannot reasonably claim a broad percentage of their entire business running costs as they operate various different arrangements, some where they pay a landowner a huge amount akin to a 'fishing licence' to catch motorists and some where they have pay and display, and others which are free car parks. Given that ParkingEye charge the same lump sum for a 30 minute overstay as they would for 3 hours, and the same fixed charge applies to any alleged contravention (whether serious/damaging or trifling), it is clear there has been no regard paid to establishing that this charge is a genuine pre-estimate of loss caused by this incident in this car park.
    The DfT Guidance and the BPA Code of Practice require that a parking charge for an alleged breach must be an estimate of losses flowing from the incident. ParkingEye cannot change this requirement so they have no option but to show POPLA their genuine pre-estimate of loss for this charge, not some subsequently penned 'commercial justification' statement they may have devised afterwards (since this would not be a pre-estimate):
    The British Parking Association Code of Practice uses the word 'MUST':
    "19.5 If the parking charge that the driver is being asked to pay is for a breach of contract or act of trespass, this charge must be based on the genuine pre-estimate of loss that you suffer.''
    Neither is this charge 'commercially justified'. In answer to that proposition from a PPC which had got over-excited about the ParkingEye v Beavis small claims decision (now being taken to the Court of Appeal by Mr Beavis anyway) POPLA Assessor Chris Adamson has stated in June 2014 that:
    ''In each case that I have seen from the higher courts,...it is made clear that a charge cannot be commercially justified where the dominant purpose of the charge is to deter the other party from breach. This is most clearly stated in Lordsvale Finance Plc v Bank of Zambia [1996] QB 752, quoted approvingly at paragraph 15 in Cine Bes Filmcilik Ve Yapimcilik & Anor v United International Pictures & Ors [2003] EWHC Civ 1669 when Coleman J states a clause should not be struck down as a penalty, “if the increase could in the circumstances be explained as commercially justifiable, provided always that its dominant purpose was not to deter the other party from breach”.
    This supports the principle that the aim of damages is to be compensatory, beginning with the idea that the aim is to put the parties in the position they would have been in had the contract been performed. It also seems that courts have been unwilling to allow clauses designed to deter breach as this undermines the binding nature of the initial promise made. Whilst the courts have reasonably moved away from a strict interpretation of what constitutes a genuine pre-estimate of loss, recognising that in complex commercial situations an accurate pre-estimate will not always be possible, nevertheless it remains that a charge for damages must be compensatory in nature rather than punitive.''
    As in previous cases the parking company day to day running costs of the business (for example Wages, Uniforms, Signage erection, Installation of ANPR cameras, Office Costs, Maintenance Costs) would have occurred had there been a breach or not and therefore may not be included in this pre-estimate of loss.

2) No standing or authority to pursue charges nor form contracts with drivers

I believe that this Operator has no proprietary interest in the land, so they have no standing to make contracts with drivers in their own right, nor to pursue charges for breach in their own name. In the absence of such title, ParkingEye must have assignment of rights from the landowner to pursue charges for breach in their own right, including at court level. This has not been produced by the operator in their rejection statement so I have no proof that such a document is in existence. I contend that ParkingEye merely hold a bare licence to supply and maintain (non compliant) signs and to post out 'tickets' as a deterrent. A commercial site agent for the true landholder has no automatic standing nor authority in their own right which would meet the strict requirements of section 7 of the BPA Code of Practice.
    I therefore put ParkingEye to strict proof to provide POPLA and myself with an unredacted, contemporaneous copy of the contract between ParkingEye and the landowner. This is required so that POPLA and myself can check that it allows this Operator to make contracts with drivers themselves and provides them with full authority to pursue charges, including a right to pursue them in court in their own name. Please note that a witness statement to the effect that a contract is in place will not be sufficient to provide sufficient detail of the contract terms (such as revenue sharing, genuine intentions of these restrictions and charges, set amounts to charge for each stated contravention, etc.). In any case, ParkingEye's witness statements have been exposed as photocopy templates from clients who may well have no knowledge of any individual parking event and the signatory may never even have seen the contract.
    The BPA code of practice contains the following:
    7 Written authorisation of the landowner
    7.1 If you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the landowner (or their appointed agent) before you can start operating on the land in question. The authorisation must give you the authority to carry out all aspects of the management and enforcement of the site that you are responsible for. In particular, it must say that the landowner requires you to keep to the Code of Practice, and that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges , through the courts if necessary.

3) The signage was not readable

The BPA Code of Practice states at 18.1: “You must use signs to make it easy for them to find out what your terms and conditions are.”
    At 18.3 it states: “Specific parking terms signage tells drivers what your terms and conditions are, including your parking charges. You must place signs containing the specific parking terms throughout the site, so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving.”
    The BPA Code of Practice further states under appendix B, entrance signage: “The sign must be readable from far enough away so that drivers can take in all the essential text without needing to look more than 10 degrees away from the road ahead.”
    The signs are small, unclear and mostly located well above head height . There is a large amount of small print at the bottom of the signs which is a struggle to read, even when standing directly in front of them.

4) The ANPR system is unreliable and neither synchronised nor accurate

If ParkingEye's ANPR records are completely reliable (which I contest) then this Operator claims the car was parked for around 30 minutes. And yet their evidence shows no parking time, merely photos of a car driving in and out. It is unreasonable for this operator to record the start of 'parking time' as the moment of arrival in moving traffic if it is at the time of parking that the clock should start. The exit photo is not evidence of 'parking time' at all.
    This Operator is obliged to ensure their ANPR equipment is maintained as described in paragraph 21.3 of the BPA Code of Practice and to have signs stating how the data will be stored/used. I say that ParkingEye have failed to clearly inform drivers about the cameras and what the data will be used for and how it will be used and stored. If there was such a sign on entry at all then it was not prominent, since the driver did not see it. I have also seen no evidence that they have complied with the other requirements in that section of the code in terms of ANPR logs and maintenance and I put this Operator to strict proof of full ANPR compliance.
    In addition I question the entire reliability of the system. I require that ParkingEye present records as to the dates and times of when the cameras at this car park were checked, adjusted, calibrated, synchronised with the timer which stamps the photos and generally maintained to ensure the accuracy of the dates and times of any ANPR images. This is important because the entirety of the charge is founded on two images purporting to show my vehicle entering and exiting at specific times. It is vital that this Operator must produce evidence in response and explain to POPLA how their system differs (if at all) from the flawed ANPR system which was wholly responsible for the court loss recently in ParkingEye v Fox-Jones on 8 Nov 2013. That case was dismissed when the judge said the evidence from ParkingEye was fundamentally flawed because the synchronisation of the camera pictures with the timer had been called into question and the operator could not rebut the point.
    So, in addition to showing their maintenance records, I require ParkingEye to show evidence to rebut the following assertion. I suggest that in the case of my vehicle being in this car park, a local camera took the image but a remote server added the time stamp. As the two are disconnected by the internet and do not have a common "time synchronisation system", there is no proof that the time stamp added is actually the exact time of the image. The operator appears to use WIFI which introduces a delay through buffering, so "live" is not really "live". Hence without a synchronised time stamp there is no evidence that the image is ever time stamped with an accurate time. Therefore I contend that this ANPR "evidence" from the cameras in this car park is just as unreliable and unsynchronised as the evidence in the Fox-Jones case. As their whole charge rests upon two timed photos, I put ParkingEye to strict proof to the contrary and to show how these two camera timings are synchronised.

I request that my appeal is allowed.

Yours faithfully,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family