What happens at ESA reassessment / review? Advice needed please!

Hello,
I have never posted to a forum before, so I hope I'm doing it right!
I have come on here to get some information and advice regarding reassessments/reviews for those who are ESA claimants. If anyone could help, I'd be so grateful.

After a somewhat lengthly and complex assessment (as they always are I believe) I was placed into the Support Group for ESA at the end of 2009. At around about the same time, I was awarded DLA at higher rate care, and lower rate mobility, which meant I got the disability premium on my ESA also. I suffer from chronic mental health problems.

As there was absolutely no indication on the letter I received about the ESA at the time about the timescale for the award, we enquired and were informed that I'd be reassessed again in December of this year.

My question is: will I have to go through the entire process again? The forms, the medical etc? Has anyone had any experience of being reviewed for their claim after 12 months (or any timescale) and if so, is there any difference in the reassessment procedure for Work Related Activity and Support Groups?

I'm so stressed and anxious about this, even though it's likely to be a couple of months away yet. The last time round it was so drawn out, and I found the medical extremely stressful (and it certainly impacts on the recovery of those signed off sue to mental health/stress related illness), as I'm sure many of you have found.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of this, and thank you in advance.

Comments

• jenn-1
    jenn-1 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hi

The medical examiner who saw you last normally indicates on his report when you should be recalled for another medical.

It can be anything from 3 months onwards.

If you contact your local Benefit Delivery Centre they should be able to tell you.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I was informed that I will be reviewed again in December of this year - so you think that was include another medical? I'm just wondering whether the review will be the same as the initial application and assessment for ESA (including all the forms) or whether it's a much more smooth process the second time around. I know DLA and ESA are not related, but as I'm on HRC now I had hoped it might have some impact on the review process. Thanks
  • andyandflo
    andyandflo Posts: 791 Forumite
    Siobhan203 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have never posted to a forum before, so I hope I'm doing it right!
    I have come on here to get some information and advice regarding reassessments/reviews for those who are ESA claimants. If anyone could help, I'd be so grateful.

After a somewhat lengthly and complex assessment (as they always are I believe) I was placed into the Support Group for ESA at the end of 2009. At around about the same time, I was awarded DLA at higher rate care, and lower rate mobility, which meant I got the disability premium on my ESA also. I suffer from chronic mental health problems.

As there was absolutely no indication on the letter I received about the ESA at the time about the timescale for the award, we enquired and were informed that I'd be reassessed again in December of this year.

My question is: will I have to go through the entire process again? The forms, the medical etc? Has anyone had any experience of being reviewed for their claim after 12 months (or any timescale) and if so, is there any difference in the reassessment procedure for Work Related Activity and Support Groups?

I'm so stressed and anxious about this, even though it's likely to be a couple of months away yet. The last time round it was so drawn out, and I found the medical extremely stressful (and it certainly impacts on the recovery of those signed off sue to mental health/stress related illness), as I'm sure many of you have found.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of this, and thank you in advance.

And that is precisely why I gave up on my ESA appeal and claimed JSA instead. It's nothing more than a merry-go-round of ESA50's, medicals and appeals designed to get you off ESA onto JSA as quickly as is possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure