PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker curry

Morning,

I have decided that I fancy curry at the weekend. :p As I have been very naughty and not used my slow cooker ina ges, I thought that I could make a curry in that. The idea being it's almost like a take-away as I just start it in the morning before work and it's ready when I get home - I just have rice to make!

I have read the slow cooker recipes and tips thread but still have a question. :o

Do I have to quickly fry the spices before putting in the slow cooker (probably at same time as I seal the meat) with the meat, veg and tomatoes or can they go straight in?:confused:

What do you all recommend?
aless02 wrote: »
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p

Comments

• rsbystry
    rsbystry Posts: 41 Forumite
    I suspect that frying the spices will bring out more of the aroma and flavours and since you are sealing the meat any way I would add the spices to the meat. Remember to rinse the frying pan and add the rinse to the slow cooker. Enjoy!
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Never thought of that, thanks!

sorry to sound stupid - do you mean rinse with a little bit of water? would temperature make a difference?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Be careful about adding water to a hot pan that has oil in it - it can spit or even catch fire!

Wait for the pan to cool - you can be prepping other things for the pot, for example, and add water then. Cold is fine, hot is better if you want to help give your slow cooker a good start.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    I was under the impression that frying is essential for the spices. I believe that it can be harmful if they are only cooked at a simmering temperature - can anyone clarify this?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Never heard that one before. Hmm... he sez, off to see just how well he can drive search engines these days,,, :)

Edit: I got just one hit with "frying spices"+harmful
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    hiya

just wanted to say thanks for your tips. I made the curry on Saturday. When I got up I browned the meat (scotch beef chunks) with onions and a range of spices - i just threw some in. I think i used tumeric, cumin, ginger, corriander and chilli. I deglazed the pan with some hot water after the pan had cooled (squeaky ;) )

after about 5 mins I added this to the slow cooker with a tin of chopped tomatoes and let it cook for about 9 hours! I had to add some cornflour to thicken at the end. It was really really yummy.

thanks for your tips again.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You're welcome :)
  • z1000000
    z1000000 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Talking of Curry, and Moneysaving, this thread reminded me of something I read many moons ago. If you have the inlaws coming, and don't wish to spend your hard earned money feeding them, you cook up something called a "Furry Curry".

All you do is search around your streets for some road kill, then cut off the bad bits, soak it in salt water to clean it up, then cook up a nice curry with it. If it's particualy rotten meat or been hit by a truck so it's a bit squishy, just add extra spices to heat it up.

Even for the delicate, there is normally plenty of good pheasant or rabbit, just waiting to be picked up on our roads. But if you aren't so choosy, or it's for the hated mother in law, then pigeon, cat, badger, rat, rook, can all go in the pot. You can get the veg from the skips outside the supermarket, or help youself if you live in the country.

After plenty of cooking, and plenty of spices, know one will know what it used to be.

You won't get a cheaper curry.

Give it a go, and ENJOY!
  • Poet_2
    Poet_2 Posts: 258 Forumite
    I want to cook a chicken curry in my slow cooker but can't find a decent recipe, I was thinking something like a jalfrezi
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi poet,

There's a slow cooker curry thread that should help so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the replies together. It may be worth a look through The Complete Slow Cooker Collection for more recipes.

Also some of the recipes in these threads could easily be adapted to suit your slow cooker:

chicken curry and others

Chicken curry?

Curry Night

Indian Curry Recipe Needed!

Curry in a hurry

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income