Hrt

Hi just wanted some advice. I'm 47 and starting to go through the menopause. My doctor has recommended HRT but I'm unsure, and just wanted advice from others good or bad. Thanks

Comments

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i think this is very much a personal thing. there is a big thread on menopause which might help you

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4709193
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And we absolutely cannot give medical advice!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    cliffsgirl wrote: »
    Hi just wanted some advice. I'm 47 and starting to go through the menopause. My doctor has recommended HRT but I'm unsure, and just wanted advice from others good or bad. Thanks

Take a look here, run by doctor. Advice, info, forums, everything you could wish to know to help you decide for yourself.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Ponsienella
    Ponsienella Posts: 127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hiya,

You will need to decide this for yourself after looking at both sides of the argument.

My experience is that at the age of 50 I was contacted to go for my 1st routine mammogram. Unfortunately something was found and I had biopsies taken a week later and I was found to have an early stage Breast Cancer. When told I was on HRT, which I'd been on for about 3 years, the surgeon said to stop taking it.

I had surgery 6 weeks later followed by radiotherapy. A few weeks after surgery I was told the cancer receptors had tested as positive for Oestrogen and 'strongly positive' for Progesterone.
    The HRT I was taking included both Oestrogen and Progesterone hormones.

I asked if the HRT was the likely cause of the cancer and the staff were non-committal as they just cannot say for certain.

My younger sister is now having really unpleasant menopausal symptoms and is on HRT despite my experience. I remember how bad hot flushes at night used to be and really can't say, even in the light of my cancer experience, what I would do if I thought I'd have to put up with them forever.

I might suggest trying Black Cohosh and other recommended treatments first just in case you can get relief without going on HRT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure