TFLS in stages?

If I put my pension pot in an income downdrawn sheme or SIPP, can I take the tax free lump sum in stages over a 4 year period? My plan would be to use my State pension and some income downdrawn to reach the tax free allowance of 10k p.a. then top that up with a further 10k p.a. from my £40k tax free allowance. Thanks

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    JohnCelt wrote: »
    If I put my pension pot in an income downdrawn sheme or SIPP, can I take the tax free lump sum in stages over a 4 year period? My plan would be to use my State pension and some income downdrawn to reach the tax free allowance of 10k p.a. then top that up with a further 10k p.a. from my £40k tax free allowance. Thanks

If you use phased drawdown and only crystallise a section of your pension, then yes you could do that.
  • SallyG
    SallyG Posts: 850 Forumite
    This was offered to me when I went into drawdown - to be frank I didn't/don't get why phasing the tax free cash over a period instead of taking it asap in a lump might be a good thing - if you've the patience can you please set out why spreading out taking the tax free cash over a longer period can be better than taking it all at once as soon as you go into drawdown?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2014 at 3:02PM
    This was offered to me when I went into drawdown - to be frank I didn't/don't get why phasing the tax free cash over a period instead of taking it asap in a lump might be a good thing

It can be the most beneficial way of doing it. Indeed, from next year, it may well be the best way.
    if you've the patience can you please set out why spreading out taking the tax free cash over a longer period can be better than taking it all at once as soon as you go into drawdown?

Say you want an income of £x a year. You only crystallise enough of the pension so that the tax free lump sum forms part of that and the rest if made up of income. You only pay income tax on the income part. Not the tax free lump sum. So, you reduce the tax paid.

Plus, as you have only crystallised part of the pension, the uncrystallised part retains its full tax free death benefits (unlike crystallised funds)

I'm surprised your Scot Wid tied sales agents didnt explain this to you. Or perhaps they are not authorised to do phased drawdown. Most tied agents are not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mazzy
    mazzy Posts: 114 Forumite
    I learn something new every day on here, didn't know you could do that. We haven't started the process yet, will start next April so will keep reading all I can to know all the options. We are lucky to have this board to come to for advice to help us understand what it all means.

Thank you all on here for taking the time to that.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    there is not always much advantage in phased drawdown, IMHO.

1 issue is: is the whole TFLS so big that you can't put it all into S&S ISA within a year or 2 (if applicable, using both of a couple's ISAs)? because if you can get it all in ISAs, that is an equivalent tax-free environment to a pension.

even if you can't fit it in ISAs, unwrapped may be just as good. ISAs/pensions provide no tax saving on dividends for basic rate tax payers (though they do save tax on interest and property income dividends (PIDs)). and most ppl are unlikely to pay CGT (due to the large annual CGT allowance).
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    there is not always much advantage in phased drawdown, IMHO.

The biggest advantage to phased drawdown is that uncrystallised funds have different tax treatment on death than crystallised funds.

With uncrystallised funds the whole lot is payable tax-free on death. With crystallised funds there is a possible 55% tax depending on who the fund is to be paid to and how it is to be paid.
  • dunstonh
    ...and that part of the income will be tax free as it comes from the 25% lump sum entitlement.
    even if you can't fit it in ISAs, unwrapped may be just as good. ISAs/pensions provide no tax saving on dividends for basic rate tax payers (though they do save tax on interest and property income dividends (PIDs)). and most ppl are unlikely to pay CGT (due to the large annual CGT allowance).

But then you would be paying tax on all the income and not have a tax free amount. Plus, you would have increased the taxation on death. And you would have taken the money out of a tax free wrapper to put into a taxable one (if above ISA allowance amount). Most people have bonds in their portfolio and gain from those being in the pension or ISA.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • SallyG
    SallyG Posts: 850 Forumite
    "I'm surprised your Scot Wid tied sales agents didnt explain this to you"
    to be fair I was told it could be done and the mechanics of it were minutely explained but not how I could benefit - if I'd had the sense to ask for a written explanation it might have dawned - but eyeball to eyeball across the kitchen table with a woman wearing false eyelashes, stilettos and a power suit ........ I went for what I understood.
  • dunstonh
    o be fair I was told it could be done and the mechanics of it were minutely explained but not how I could benefit -

Thats the problem when you dont get proper advice but get a menu type advice. They present the options for you to choose. Whereas you should be told what is best for you.
    but eyeball to eyeball across the kitchen table with a woman wearing false eyelashes, stilettos and a power suit ........ I went for what I understood.

lol
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    SallyG wrote: »
    "I'm surprised your Scot Wid tied sales agents didnt explain this to you"
    to be fair I was told it could be done and the mechanics of it were minutely explained but not how I could benefit - if I'd had the sense to ask for a written explanation it might have dawned - but eyeball to eyeball across the kitchen table with a woman wearing false eyelashes, stilettos and a power suit ........ I went for what I understood.
    :rotfl:
    You'll likely learn a lot more from forums and websites like this and Motley Fool, Monevator etc that you would "eyeball to eyeball" with any advisor or agent, tied or not!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure