**Make Me Rich This Year eBay or Else!!**

Floxxie
Floxxie Posts: 2,852
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 8 January 2012 at 9:12PM in Debt free diaries
Just a quick add on - this is now the thread for 2012 - welcome newbies and welcome back the old timers. This thread is full of useful information and plenty of ups and downs but please feel free to add to it.

So here we are ladies (and any lurking gents)....another year of selling on eBay (and other sites) in the hope that we shall clear our debts. I have asked mrscmr to write our introduction as she was certainly an inspiration in how to sell on eBay. So thank you mrscmr :beer: Here's to many more posts and much more cash in 2011.

Welcome to our Ebay Challenge thread for 2011.

If you're looking for motivation, information, help or just want to start ebaying and need to know how then you are in the right place and we are happy to help!

We have all made money over the last 12 months or more by using Ebay to generate a little or alot of extra cash. Some of us have business accounts and some of us have private ebay accounts.

Over the last 12 months I have generated over £13,000 using ebay to sell my own bits and bobs and also ran an ebay business account for a short while.

NEVER underestimate what people will buy on ebay! I have sold broken DS's, designer sunglasses boxes [without the sunglasses], parts of toys that people have lost, 1/2 finished embroideries, you name it and someone out there might just be looking for it!

So give it a go, you will be amazed how you feel when those first bids start rolling in... and also when you start to pay off some debts or are able to buy something you have been saving for over a long time.

We wish you luck and if you need help... just shout.

NB: This thread is run by Floxxie and Soolin is the moderator on the Ebay boards to keep us all procedurally correct!

I promised a post about thinking outside the box when it comes to ebaying... here are my tips and suggestions:

1. Try to keep boxes, instructions, any warrenties as when you sell an item with these extras you will achieve a better price.

2. Dont think that if something is broken or has something missing that no one will want it. I sold a broken DS for £26 pounds last year - the spin was broken. Just make sure you are very very clear in your listing details and BE HONEST!

3. Certain brands sell well such as Monsoon, Next, particularly things like party dresses and party shoes for kids.

4. Think about spring and the wedding season soon approaching.

5. I have sold odd parts of toys for example: I had peppa pigs car with steering wheel... but for some reason we only had the steering wheel left... sold that for £5.00 - obviously someone had lost or broken theirs.

6. Magazines - I have a mother who hordes cross stitch mags... they sell very well as do Country life especially to USA.

7. Bikes of course sell well as do lawn mowers, have sold 5 bikes in various conditions, and 2 lawn mowers.

8. Slides, climbing frames, trampoline - especially TP ones. Have sold accessories such as swing seats the kids have grown out off, even in a rusty state.

9. Summer stuff in winter... people who are taking hot winter sun holidays need summer stuff!

10. Vintage stuff... I have parents who horde... they were amazed at Ebay and supplied me with a stream of items from the 30, 40, 50, 60, etc which sold very well.

11. I have sold unfinished embroidery kits... people will happily finish them!

12. Toys ... I've sold parts of sets.. such as postman pat figures, rupert figures, noddy etc. amazing prices can be achieved. BUT ALWAYS wash the toys... nothing is worse than sending out some old toy with chocolate biscuit still on it!

13: Nursery goods - pushchairs, cosy toes, brams, cots, etc - there's a steady stream of babies in the world! Always good sellers. Again clean everything!

14: Look on the ebay wanted site for items people are searching for.. maybe you have it ... click here http://pages.ebay.co.uk/wantitnow/

15: Selling as a business.. this is different - there are tax implications so be aware. If you are buying stock.. dont over stock and then have to throw it away. Approach with caution and test out products.

16. Look at completed listings to get an idea of how much items sell for. Don't over price items in desperation... if they are at the right price they will sell.

17. Look at the bidding history and see how items which start at 99p can still achieve great selling prices! We listed an iphone at 99p once.. sold for over £250!

18. Get your postage costs right!

19. Dont list too many in one session as if lots of items sell you will spend your time packaging up and visiting the post office!

20. Build a good relationship with your local post office ladies [chocolates may help as will a smile] sometimes they will allow you to leave parcels with them and the money and they will do the postage throughout the day instead of you holding up the queue in the post office and everyone getting frustrated!
Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06

Comments

• Whey hey! A great new shiney thread :j

Good luck everyone!

Just started putting bits on ebay again after about a 4 week break, I managed to get 10 items on last night, and 1 has bids on and another has 11 watchers already :beer:

How are everyone elses preparations going?
    Everyday im shufflin':dance: Proud Padder ~ All Hail The Power of Pad
  • mrscmr
    mrscmr Posts: 2,903
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    im having today as an organising day... plus im going to write up some hints on what you might have lurking around your houses that you could make some money from!
    Highest Debt £581,000 Nov 08 and now owe nothing! yes really! I have learnt my lesson the hard way!
    :heart2:Ebay Challenge 2011 - Still supporting from afar!
    Long haulers supporters DFW #223
  • wooo!! happy shiney new thread!!

I'm going to get a few diet related things up today, figure nows the time for it!

Hope it'll be a good 2011 with ebay :)
  • Hooray, need to get sorted out today (kids were meant to be going to my parents for a few days but DD1 is ill so it's been cancelled).

Concentrating on Business account at the moment as have lots of stock to get listed then will start on Personal items.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #016
  • Count me in on this - have a load of nintendo ds games i never intend on playing anymore - im sure there are more things i can sell as well i just need to be inventive - any ideas ?
    DFD 1st January 2016
    Total Debt £4600 01/01/2013
    £4100 15/11/2013 01/11/15 £0 :j
  • mrscmr
    mrscmr Posts: 2,903
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi ronniesmum... ds games always go well, especially if you have the box and the booklet inside... i sold lots of games last year probably around 500 pounds worth! yes my kids were spoilt in a previous life! no longer though!
    Highest Debt £581,000 Nov 08 and now owe nothing! yes really! I have learnt my lesson the hard way!
    :heart2:Ebay Challenge 2011 - Still supporting from afar!
    Long haulers supporters DFW #223
  • Awesome mine are all in mint condition i wasnt going to sell them but im sitting here and i dont think ive used my DS in well over a year !! And as im currently off work sick i really could do with the money. Ah well.. Best get listing !
    DFD 1st January 2016
  • kec09
    kec09 Posts: 190 Forumite
    I really need to do this, just can't get the motivation to list all the stuff I have here! I have tons of clothes, cd's, DVD's DS games, craft items etc etc
    Aiming to completely pay off the credit card in 2012!
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning ladies, I'm going to list a few items today so I can least move them out of the hall!

I think I shall start on winter clothes, baby stuff and any diet/exercise related items I can find.

Great idea about doing a list of good selling items mrscmr; I could add it onto your intro if you like?
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • oh that is a fab idea writing a list of what would sell please please do this if you have time it would be a good send for me
    so far : 4 DS games have been listed and now i need to look for other things around the house to sell...
    Im a woman on a mission !
    DFD 1st January 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business