PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Guaranteed Rental Income Service - Anyone Used This

HI

Just wondered if anyone has used the guaranteed rent service through an agent either Northwood or any other.

Is there are catch?

What are the fees (or is it more cost effective to buy rent guarantee insurance instead)?

Anyone been caught out?

Anyone happy with the scheme?

Thank you

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've never used these but believe:

* you'll get way below market rent, in return for the 'guarantee'
    * you'll lose all control over which tenants are accepted, and even which type of tenant - the agency will just want a tenant in there
    * you'll have little control over property maintenance, or protection against damage - again, the agency just wants a tenant in paying rent. ANY tenant
    * if your mortage lender or insurer has stipulations as to tenant catagories, you may have conflict (see above)
    * But, yes, every month, you will (should) receive the agreed amount - no voids

I guess it suits some people, but not me.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    I've never used these but believe:

* you'll get way below market rent, in return for the 'guarantee'
    * you'll lose all control over which tenants are accepted, and even which type of tenant - the agency will just want a tenant in there
    * you'll have little control over property maintenance, or protection against damage - again, the agency just wants a tenant in paying rent. ANY tenant
    * if your mortage lender or insurer has stipulations as to tenant catagories, you may have conflict (see above)
    * But, yes, every month, you will (should) receive the agreed amount - no voids

I guess it suits some people, but not me.

Thank you GM. It kind of read too good to be true on the website. I suppose one is paying the price for not having to deal with the hassle. Don't the agents only accept people that have been checked out as tenants or are they willing to accept anyone and the checks are just if the landlord wants them?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sitesafe wrote: »
    . Don't the agents only accept people that have been checked out as tenants or are they willing to accept anyone and the checks are just if the landlord wants them?
    By signing up to the guarantee scheme, you are effectively saying:

"OK, you guys pay me £X per month, every month, tenant or no tenant - now here's my property"

They will clearly want to make a profit so
    a) they'll want tenants in there every month if possible and
    b) they'll want the rent to be £X + £Y

Tenant referencing? Maybe, but if their choice is to install an unvetted tenant, or a poor risk tenant, Vs leaving it empty, what do you think they'll do?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,455
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Judging by how much North wood's franchises claim to make there must be a HUGE profit margin in there somewhere...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure