what's the 3 network like

hey all,

I've seen a new mobile i fancy but it's only on the 3 network. I've heard a few bad things about them and wondered what people's experiences were.

I've been on the 3 coverage checker and it just gives a very generic blurb.

any help would be appreciated.

G

Comments

• I found coverage to be good (central Edinburgh) but I've had friends in other cities who found major issues with coverage. I found customer service to be dire. Eventually I left and went back to O2.

Cheap tariffs lure you in but be prepared for anguish when trying to conduct seemingly simple transactions via the customer service department.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    For what it is worth, I find 3 excellent. I live in NE England and rarely have problems with signal etc. I travel abroad very often and don't have problems with the coverage.

My rental is £14 or so for 500 minutes and towards the end of each contract (12 or 18 months) I always receive a new phone........which i pass on to the kids as I am quite happy with the original phone.

I would recommend to anyone.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • I have used 3 over the years on the south coast and in the London area. Always had good coverage and have never had a problem with them in any way.
  • Always had great coverage in the south west.

the largest 3g network in the UK backed up by the largest 2g network.

people who have signal problems must live in a hole or a cave in the middle of nowhere.
  • I would say that "3" is more variable within buildings than the other networks.

Also people report bad experiences with "3" and contracts. I've a PAYG phone and been very pleased.

Unless you are after one of the "3" own brand phones I'm surprised you can't find the phone you want on another network.

If you are interested in the Skypephone it is surprisingly good at what it does. It doesn't quite have the "quality feel" of the well known brands but considering what it does and what it costs I can recommend it.
  • the largest 3g network in the UK
    http://www.orange.co.uk/3g would beg to differ :)
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I thought Vodaphone had the largest coverage as they have or had a majority of 3G mobile broadband contracts, but i guess not :)
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • korny88
    korny88 Posts: 122 Forumite
    Normal coverage is generally good, although 3G coverage can have problems in certain parts of the country. Customer services are Indian based and can get quite annoying some times, but recently read that this is improving.

Hope this helps.
  • Sol00
    Sol00 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    3 are generally a good network for their coverage, however, their customer service isn't as good as you may like.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    http://www.orange.co.uk/3g would beg to differ :)

You can beg all you like :D

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/

Three is the best fact, orange are liars :rotfl:

The way orange measure their coverage is a lot less scientific than how 3 do it.

Orange count the number of towns it covers, say they had 1 mast in a town they count that as the area having 100% coverage even if that mast only covers 20% of that area :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure