Whiplash compensation - Fair Amount?

My girlfriend was invlolved in an accident recently. A small van hit her from behind as she was waiting to pull out at a roundabout. She wasn't hit at high speed, but did suffer whiplash which was confirmed by her GP. She had a couple of days off work (should have been more but she was in the middle of a two week handover on a new job) and had discomfort when sitting and trying to sleep for about a fortnight.

She recived a call from the insurer offerring her £500 compensation for the whiplash (they haven't seen any medical notes etc as she didn't go to their GP) She told them she'd get back to them and this is why i'm posting here. Neither her nor I know anyone who has had compensation for this before so was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

I think it might be worth a bit more just on the basis that this is their 1st offer and she hasn't threatened any legal action.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• x.x.x.
    x.x.x. Posts: 155 Forumite
    hey, im not sure if this is a typical price,but ive had family who have recieved £1000 to £1200 for it..hope that helps =)
  • she doesnt need a solicitor, if your in england/wales say you will accept £750 for it, thats what i would offer or if you want to be cheeky say £1,000 or your going to speak to a solicitor
  • SallyUK
    SallyUK Posts: 2,344
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GMC

I've PMd you with regard to this, hope you don't mind.

Sal
    x
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hasn't she got 'legal aid' as part of her Insurance - if so let them take up the reins. £1k appears to be around the 'going rate', for uncontested claims. Not much more if contested - unless there's real evidence of continuing trauma.

But do us all a favour and don't put anything the way of the 'ambulance chasers' - as suggested above
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • liames
    liames Posts: 173 Forumite
    Hi gmc

Accept the third offer as I do not think they will offer any more. At least that is what happened with my daughter. Not sure but I think she got about £1200.
  • i had a similar accident hit from the back at traffic lights. my insurance company put me in touch with a solicitor and they handled everything i was sent for an examination with their doctors. i received 2500.00. i was in quite a lot of discomfort, and suffered headaches after. i also received physio.
  • offer not too bad actually im a little suprised

if you have any doubts tho why not run it past a good local solicitor?
    Head of Personal Injury for a Law Firm In Manchester
  • According to the Judicial Studies Board (which insurers use based as a guideline on cases that have been run through the courts the previous year)

(c) Minor

Minor soft tissue and whiplash injuries and the like where symptoms are moderate:

(i) and a full recovery takes place within about two years; £2,550 to £4,575

(ii) with a full recovery between a few weeks and a year. £750 to £2,550

Personally, I would ask for £1000, but expect to get £750 - for a few weeks, that's pretty reasonable.

If they say no, and send her to a medical expert, that's going to cost them another £200 anyway, and for the extra amount it's probably not worth their while to argue - particularly as it's so close to the end of the year and they will have settlement targets, closed file targets and time to settle targets to achieve.

I would expect a £500 settlement on an injury which was a little bruising lasting a couple of days with no time off work.

Hope this helps.
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
  • gmc_3
    gmc_3 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Hi,

Thanks for all the responses everyone. From the above info, I think she is probably due £1000-£1500. She'll proabaly go down the route of -'I've spoken to a solicitor and he feels its worth around £xxxx' and see how they respond.

I'll pass all of the info on to her and will let you know how she gets on.

GMC
  • V_tricky
    V_tricky Posts: 468 Forumite
    IMHO Based on what you've said, £1000 would really be your top whack - claims settled at £1500 are often injuries lasting 5-7 months, often have required a short physio session, a couple of doctors attendances and have often had affect in some way on peoples work & domestic arrangements.

There's no point in getting your hopes up unrealistically. Also, you have to play off whether it is worth it to take £750 now (which sounds based on what you've said) a fair settlement, or have to wait another few months for a medical report to be done (along with the associated hassle of having to attend the medical, review the report to check it's all agreed, and send it back), just to get a similar offer or not much more at the end of it.

Just be grateful that she wasn't more seriously injured, and try to get a fair settlement without milking it.
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure