PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Faulty sink?

Yes could put this in DIY section but thought I would try here first also because trying to work out if LL should fix it or me.

In the U bend under sink theres a piece that screws onto a bigger pipe that leads to washing machine water removal and under the cupboards (so I logically assume drains)

I know from my personal experience I have knocked the (cheap looking) pipe when moving the washine machine.

I also noticed for a long time theres been a small damp patch under sink but it drains somewhat normally.

Last night I noticed the 2 pieces of pipe were not attached and my attempts at trying to do so made it worse but eventually got it to a point where its mostly attached and if I run tap full blast at most a tiny trickle comes out of pipe.

So I would say it needs fixed but what exactly is it? Would it count as my fault thus I get it repaired or LL responsibility?

I can get a photo if needed, to describe better its like 2 pipes that are forced together with pressure and one had that screw thing that tightens but the 2nd pipe does not have this so the 2 dont lock together.

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Picture would probably describe it better.

However as a general rule, wherever two waste sections meet there should be a rubber seal of some sort. They normally leak because the seal is missing, damaged or displaced.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Will get a picture but the main part from googling is a p trap u bend.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not sure why you are moving the washing machine. Disturbing the pipes might cause their connection to come loose.

Having said that, the outflow from a w/m is normally via a flexible hose so provided you don't stretch that hose excessively, should be OK.

The hose usually either hooks over a verticle pipe, or connects to a sink u-bend.

Best advice is to let the LL know there is a leak which needs fixing so that the leak does not damage the property.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    G_M wrote: »
    Not sure why you are moving the washing machine. Disturbing the pipes might cause their connection to come loose.

Having said that, the outflow from a w/m is normally via a flexible hose so provided you don't stretch that hose excessively, should be OK.

The hose usually either hooks over a verticle pipe, or connects to a sink u-bend.

Best advice is to let the LL know there is a leak which needs fixing so that the leak does not damage the property.

The washing machine was provided in the sense it was not on the inventory and it broke so I fixed it myself (going back 18 months ago) so was told by LL they won't fix it.

What the plain (very thin) pipe looks like is a normal pipe with smaller pipe inside that attaches to the u bend which has that part that screws to tighten (though nowhere to tighten it onto as the waste pipe is too small on its own)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need to tell the landlord or the letting agent whoever manages the property that there is a leak. No landlord want to find a kitchen unit that has been getting wet from a leak for a long time. This is urgent.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dekaspace wrote: »
    What the plain (very thin) pipe looks like is a normal pipe with smaller pipe inside that attaches to the u bend which has that part that screws to tighten (though nowhere to tighten it onto as the waste pipe is too small on its own)

Sounds like a height adjustable trap.
    There should still be a plastic taper washer where the two pipes join.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    anselld wrote: »
    Sounds like a height adjustable trap.
    There should still be a plastic taper washer where the two pipes join.

Would make sense as if I angle it a certain way it seems to just about fit its just not locking.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    According to the repairing standard in Scotland...

"Any fixtures, fittings or appliances provided by the landlord (such as carpets, light fittings, white goods and household equipment) must be in a reasonable state of repair and in proper working order."

So it's all very well and good the LL saying he won't repair or replace the washing machine but he should do.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    They got around that by saying it was left by previous tenant and didn't list it on the inventory.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 7:02PM
    Is this Scotland?

If so, the LL cannot get 'around that by saying it was left by previous tenant'. What a previous tenant did is irrelevant. When the LL let the property to you it came with a washing machine.

In Eng/Wales however, a LL can choose to eclude ites from his repairing responsibilities (other than items statute requires him to repair).

Have you searched utube? There are loads of videos showing how to repair things.....

edit: just seen your other post, so yes, you are in Scotland.

But wow! you're being very unlucky with floods and leaks!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5538449
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport