LED (energy saving) GU10 light bulbs in Aldi or Lidl 2 for £10?

I'm sure I saw a poster recently offering LED (energy saving) GU10 light bulbs in Aldi or Lidl 2 for £10

Can't find them on either of their websites now.
Did I see it?
Well I know I did, but where?

Comments

• o0ps_2
    o0ps_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2012 at 9:17PM
    Just bought some in lidl , 5.99 on the display so was pleasantly
    surprised at the multibuy discount on the receipt :)

Haven't tried them yet , slightly sceptical about the 25,000 hour lifetime after rubbish lifetimes on low energy bulbs.

However they do have a 3 year warranty , only shown on the sign though , not on the box . So going to email lidl before using them.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    o0ps wrote: »
    Just bought some in lidl , 5.99 on the display so was pleasantly
    surprised at the multihull discount on the receipt :)

Haven't tried them yet , slightly sceptical about the 25,000 hour lifetime after rubbish lifetimes on low energy bulbs.

However they do have a 3 year warranty , only shown on the sign though , not on the box . So going to email lidl before using them.

Try them & let me know what they are like please :-)
  • o0ps_2
    I gave in and tried them before checking 3 year warranty. I have a photo of the sign.

After reading many many reviews of led lights and how rubbish they are I am very impressed. Using them in a ceiling light with upwards pointing lights with glass opaque shades in the sitting room and a 4way light in kitchen with no shades . They are a bright white light rather than the yellowish light from the low energy bulbs they replaced in the sitting room. Other than that seem like equivalent light. Luckily I have 2 light fittings in each room so have them running side by side at the moment.

If and it's a big if , they last the quoted lifetime they will save a fortune. If they last the 3year warranty period they will still save a lot of money and stop me nagging my wife to turn the lights off ! Which is a huge plus for me in itself.

Won't be replacing all my halogens , previous owner seemed to love them . Three of them in a tiny down stairs loo as I don't think it's worth the outlay . They only seem worth it in a room which will have the lights on a lot.

I now need to hunt round my other lidls to buy a few more .

So in summary good light , bright white , only seem worth it in high use rooms. Also haven't tried them in down lighters so can't comment on usefulness there.

Hope this helps
  • Will they honour their warranty?

I got some full price Philips LED GU10 at about £23 each
    from SLD.

The light output matches my previous lamps and doesn't
    have the annoying blue cast of earlier catalogue offerings
    from non-EU suppliers.

Think it's worth it if I don't re-lamp until 2016.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A tip. Scan the receipt. The heat-printed ones (like you get in a supermarket) fade.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    o0ps wrote: »
    I now need to hunt round my other lidls to buy a few more .

Isn't the offer on this weekend?
    Are they selling out already :-(
    I planned to try & grab some after work today :-(

I have 6 GU10s in the hall, 6 in the bathroom & 8 in the kitchen :-/

I was going to trial the hall first as I begrudge all that money to light a hallway.

Are they the type of low energy GU10s that stick out a little? I thought they all did that? I thought I was going to have to change all my light fittings?
    It wouldn't matter in the hall as they are in spotlight fittings, but my other rooms are recessed, hence why I only planned them for the hall.
  • o0ps_2
    They are the same size as GU10 , they just have a glass cover that sticks out say 3mm , so should be fine in recessed , they just wont be flush. Not sure about light coverage , angles etc ( you can tell I read far too many light bulb reviews )
    They are out in my lidl now , I would grab them and then ponder as you can always take them back !

Just phoned them and they said the computer said 3 years , have emailed them to get something in writing.

Good tip about receipts though , I have some pcworld ones which are gone ! The aldi/lidl ones seem fine though - all in a folder for future use :)

I personally would only use them in high use areas which are going to have lights on for 4+ hours a day - do the maths at (50 -3) * x hrs/1000 * 15p * 365 to get yearly saving ( if replacing a 50 watt halogen bulb). I quickly did the maths in the shop just based on saving the full 50 watts as it was a lot easier !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure