Being prescribed an overdose (again)

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, were the steroids Prednisolone and what dosage were you prescribed?

I can't remember which steroids I was prescribed. It was quite a while ago. The name "Prednisolone" doesn't ring a bell, and the Wikipedia page doesn't sound familiar, so I don't think it was that.

But I do remember looking at the "normal" dose ranges for a variety of ailments, and being amazed at the dosage I was given. Especially when I queried it and was told that I don't really need the drugs at all.
  • esuhl
    edited 14 October 2016 at 7:30PM
    Bogalot wrote: »
    You don't have to use the NHS. You're free to pay for private healthcare if your confidence in the NHS is quite so low.

Ha ha ha! Are you on the right website? Have you looked at name of it?

:rotfl:

Anyway, what's that got to do with anything? Why would I trust a doctor I've paid any more that one that I haven't?
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    esuhl wrote: »
    Don't steroids cause problems with the immune system? Is it possible that the LD50 of steroids might be huge, but the complications that can occur indirectly due to overdose might be significant...?

Maybe the doctor thought an "overdose" was appropriate in your case? A couple of years ago I had a really bad chest infection and my asthma started to cause me serious problems. My doctor gave me two different antibiotics and a week's worth of a high dose of steroids. She said we needed to hit the infection with everything because I was so ill. If my asthma hasn't been so bad she might have been more cautious, but she didn't want to risk the chest infection hanging around if I didn't respond to one antibiotic.
  • mel48rose
    mel48rose Posts: 513 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    esuhl wrote: »
    It just seems strange that the leaflet explicitly contradicts the doctor's advice. Most drug info leaflets say something like, "Do not exceed the stated dose unless advised by your doctor".

Don't steroids cause problems with the immune system? Is it possible that the LD50 of steroids might be huge, but the complications that can occur indirectly due to overdose might be significant...?

I really don't know much about medicine, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing. But it makes it hard to know who to trust when the people making the drugs are giving different advice to doctors. There should be some kind of campaign to stop people being given contradictory messages over something so important.
    You say you don't know much about medicine but are quick to rubbish your doctors care. Nobody's forcing you to take the medicine's are they :rotfl:
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • esuhl
    mel48rose wrote: »
    You say you don't know much about medicine but are quick to rubbish your doctors care.

Well, I know enough from experience that you're a fool to think you can trust the medical profession to get it right every time.

Why are you so quick to rubbish the professional advice given by the company that actually make the drug? Since I don't know much about medicine, shouldn't I trust them as much as any other professional source?
    Hermia wrote: »
    Maybe the doctor thought an "overdose" was appropriate in your case? A couple of years ago I had a really bad chest infection and my asthma started to cause me serious problems. My doctor gave me two different antibiotics and a week's worth of a high dose of steroids. She said we needed to hit the infection with everything because I was so ill. If my asthma hasn't been so bad she might have been more cautious, but she didn't want to risk the chest infection hanging around if I didn't respond to one antibiotic.

I can't see why it would be appropriate for me, since I don't have any serious health issues that would justify breaking the official safe dosage. It just seems really odd...
  • Patient leaflets with regard to prescription drugs are intended for patients taking that medication under normal circumstances. Doctors have far greater information concerning the possible variables on any prescribed drug, which still fall within safe limits, and can be used in different ways for a variety of reasons. The manufacturer sets those limits, only where available, and which are outside the norm. For obvious reasons, these are not on patient leaflet information. I am sure no doctor would knowingly overprescribe to cause harm, except possibly in error. If you feel your doctor has made a mistake, phone or go back to the surgery and get clarification, this forum is probably the wrong place to get the answers you seek. I can understand why you do not trust the NHS, going by what you say about your parents, but millions of people are actually saved by it every year. It might just help, even at this late stage, and if you can bear it, discussing the events surrounding your parents with the appropriate doctor, so that you can get some factual answers, and it may help you put to rest your fears or maybe not. It may also enable your GP to understand where you are coming from, as he probably detects your evident mistrust. Either way, a decent doctor, and there are tons around, will listen and help. Hope you get your answers.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    If you don't trust your GP, the medicines are 'optional' and the ailments relatively minor, you can choose not to take them.

Using the word 'overdose' is quite dramatic and is usually taken to mean taking too much of something in a single dose to cause harm not taking a lower risk drug in a normal dose for a longer period than expected.

I'm sorry you are so fearful of your GP's competence but I think that is the main issue here and the advice above is very good to help with your future peace of mind and confidence level.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You are getting all confused. Leaflets are written for patients, not doctors. It doesn't tell you when to stop medication no the basis that exceeding the dose, even slightly will result in an overdose! If that was the case, the drug would be a controlled one.

Leaflets are written to consider the absolute safest dosage for even the most vulnerable person not you as a person and your doctor will know what is right for YOU.

One day, I made a mistake and took two 500mg paracetamol rather than two 250mg. I called my friend who is a pharmacist to ask if I should go to A&E. She laughed and said that I would need to take a lot more than that to make it an emergency. However, it might have been different if I had specific medical conditions.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    There may also be quite different prescribing strategies (with different leaflets to match) depending on where you live.

As an example, in the UK the normal Amoxicillin dosage is 500mg, very rarely doubled up for severe infections - in France the normal dose is double that (1g) for everything and they consider that the UK undertreats infections.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,302 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Have you spoken to a pharmacist about your concerns? They are the experts on drugs.

This!

What I am wondering is about pack size - if the drug company really wanted nasal drops to be taken for only a week they would surely put them in tiny bottles with only about a week's supply.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport