What's with this 8217?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 February 2018 at 3:02PM
  • J_S_H
    J_S_H Posts: 29 Forumite
    billn wrote: »
    If this has been answered already please forgive me, have you asked why your connection cannot be left as it is and the neighbours put underground or is it some sort of share connection splitting before your meters?

The way I have read this is that NP want to dig up your drive for your connection or is it that they need to go over your drive for the neighbour's connection, if it is the latter NP may have the power to force the issue.

Sorry if these questions have been answered, do not do anything that you are not happy with just because it is what your neighbour wants. I hope you sort this out in a way you are happy with.

I don't completely understand the hows and whys but they are saying this is the easiest/only option.

Currently the overhead power lines attach to our neighbour's house then come in through their house to supply us - or so i'm told. NP want to dig up our drive for our connection to supply solely our house and they're doing the same for the neighbour's drive.
  • J_S_H
    Just a thought - when you say adjoining neighbour, do you mean that you have rights under the Party Wall Act?

We are semi-detached but our drives are at the farthest side with gardens in between if that makes sense? I don't believe the Party Wall Act would apply here.
  • J_S_H
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    How deep are these cables going exactly? How wide will the trench be? Over how long a distance?

I believe it's going to be approximately 35 cm wide and it's the length of the drive is roughly 6m but I have no idea how deep the trench will be.

Thanks for the advice, that seems sensible that the smaller the trench the less likely it is to sink, that gives me some peace of mind!
  • J_S_H
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    When I had my new fuel line installed (admittedly it was gas not electric) they didn't need to dig up the garden, decking nor patio as they used a boring tool from a hole in the road to a position just close to where the new meter had been fitted. Have you or your neighbour suggested this to the power provider?

NP did briefly mention that sometimes they can drill holes but they seemed to think it more likely that they will need to dig the trench. Obviously the holes would be a much better option for us and NP as I imagine it will be cheaper but they seem to be leaning more towards the trench for whatever reason.
  • Davesnave
    I would take photographs before the work starts so there is no 'confusion' over the original condition of the drive.

If NP have said they will guarantee their reinstatement for a period of 2 years, get this in writing. Two years is plenty of time for any work-related faults to show-up on block paving.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    I would take photographs before the work starts so there is no 'confusion' over the original condition of the drive.

This, and use a camera that date stamps photos.
  • Davesnave
    This, and use a camera that date stamps photos.
    Dates are recorded in the exif data anyway, but all such dating can be manipulated.

Including the front page of a daily paper will prove it wasn't taken before the date of publication.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Not sure if the work have started, but I am a great believer in getting things in writing before agreeing to anything, even more so since your neighbour is being an !!!.
    Get something drawn up legally, that driveway MUST be returned to how it was before any digging.
    If the driveway sinks after, they will bear the cost of fixing the problem and in a timely manner.
    Present it to them and give them 14 days to respond,otherwise they cannot under any circumstance carry out the work.
    The last thing you want is for something to happen, the extension is done and they do not care about your damage.
    I also agree with taking photos before and after for your records with a date stamp.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure