We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

:hello:

Well, here we are again then. :D

Looking forward to a new season of grub fresh from the garden. I've just harvested the last potatoes, parsnips, beetroot and carrots, so once they're gone I might actually have to buy something. :p

Last season was good. A few things didn't work too well, but mostly I had good results. I went shopping today for seed potatoes - Pentland Javelin for the earlies, and Picasso for the maincrop as they were so good last year.

I think I need to get the chillies started next weekend, and have a rummage through my seed collection to see what's what.

Things I learned last year:

1. I don't need that many swede.
2. Things grown in tubs, with the possible exception of radishes, are nowhere near as good as those grown in the ground.
3. White beetroot is interesting but nowhere near as tasty as red.
4. I could probably do without the greenhouse as far as tomatoes are concerned, as the outdoors ones were excellent. Mind you, the grafted ones in the greenhouse were pretty impressive in terms of yield.
5. I like French beans.

This year's competition is not yet confirmed but seems likely to be onions. Which probably means I need to sow them three weeks ago. :whistle:

By the end of the year I'd like to have a pond.

Oh, and I've got a couple of Romanesco cauliflower having a good go at forming a head. :)

Feel free to join in as and when.

MBE
If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comments

• Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    MBE! Welcome back. Can I join your merry adventure and hijack occasionally?? I figure if I follow and copy exactly what you're doing I will avoid any suicidal tomato plants and squash-that-turned-into-potatoes incidents. Pretty please?
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    MBE! Welcome back. Can I join your merry adventure and hijack occasionally?? I figure if I follow and copy exactly what you're doing I will avoid any suicidal tomato plants and squash-that-turned-into-potatoes incidents. Pretty please?

Ok. Do you have your chilli seeds ready for next weekend?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    My chilis say to sow in Feburary and I live in the North East so I'm gunna wait till the end of Feb to start mine.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • Little_Vics
    yes!! My chilli plant and pepper plant from last year are still alive on my window sill though.....

What are you planning on growing this year?
  • mrbadexample

What are you planning on growing this year?

I'll let you know when I've had that rummage through my seed box. :p
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Welcome back MrBE and little Vics

Like you MrBE, I have always got better crops in the ground, except for lettuce.........the slugs and snails always get it in the ground.

yes!! My chilli plant and pepper plant from last year are still alive on my window sill though.....

Well done, bet you never thought last year you'd be able to over winter one. I've even got PiP one this year too that has joined my others on the window sill.

hazzie123, that's probably best to do. MrBE is often a little early or a little late with his timings but it usually works out well for him;)
  • Little_Vics
    this will be the third year for the pepper plant - randomly managed to overwinter it last year too. It's now very very tall and I almost don't want it to survive because it takes up so much room on the windowsill!
  • mrbadexample
    annie123 wrote: »
    MrBE is often a little early or a little late with his timings but it usually works out well for him;)

You noticed. :o

I was going to sow a few chillies next weekend, and then a few more over successive weekends in the hope that I get some right. :p
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Hi PiP experts. I grew these last year but "forgot" to pot them on out of 5"/12cm pots. They are on my kitchen windowsill now and have chillies on them - they've been on there for months. I'm going to take the chillies off and when the greenhouse is warmer pot the plants on to big pots. My question - at last - is how big do the chillies, not the plants, get? Obviously the ones I have now are tiny because of the restrictions on the plants. I won't need loads of chillies as there's only me, but if a-bit-smaller-than-an-olive is the PiP size I might grow some others as well.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 January 2012 at 4:16PM
    Yay, glad to see this years thread up and running MBE. I got started today by cleaning out my potting shed, sorting pots out and I got my chillis going. I am following the chillis galore way again with John Innes seed compost and vermiculite. This year I've gone for early jalapenos (which did brilliantly last year) and Albertos locoto, both from the real seed company. I also have three PiP's in the greenhouse but they are looking worse for wear so not sure they have come through.
    I've got over wintered onions and garlic in the veg patch but I'm not sure how well they're doing and I have maris bard potatoes chitting.
    This year I've mainly gone for seeds from the real seed company as theirs were brilliant last year so I figured it might be worth trying my tomatoes and carrots from there too. This years new one will be broad beans.
    I'm really excited about my second year of growing!
    One pic to get the thread really going:
    chillis22ndjan2012.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family