Home Heating Oil

Comments

• NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ollywood68 wrote:
    I live in Bangor and got quotes from 10 companies for 1000 litres of oil on 25/1/05 - so its not the prices that are important but the RANKING of the companies. All numbers were obtained from the yellow pages. Here they are in rank order:-

Kane £273 91270439
    Meekin £261 94432417
    Carlisle £257 91275212
    https://www.cheaperoil.com £256
    Home £252 91477766
    Ritchie £250 91812608
    Nicholl £249 90777879
    Down £243 91861556
    Penninsula £236 91861515
    Clandeboye £233 91478581
    Why didn't you try Bangor Fuels 91477795, as you live in Bangor?
  • Just to clarify, the purpose of my last posting was not to promote any particular oil company but to demonstrate the range of prices that companies will offer for basically the same product and that we very little effort you can move from £273 to £233, irrespective of who the oil is bought from.
    happiness is being able to have one more drink
  • NAR wrote:
    Why didn't you try Bangor Fuels 91477795, as you live in Bangor?

I just lifted 10 companies whose name I immediately recognised from the phone book or flyers that arrived through my door. I could have phoned bangor fuels too. Also, the companies that I did phone were not all Bangor companies but companies who would deliver to Bangor. And finally once again all I am demonstrating is that with little effort and time (it took me less than 10 mins to phone all the companies) I saved myself money
  • Sarahsaver wrote:
    my mum gets her oil in the summer because it's cheaper then!;)

Its not always. plus if you buy in the summer you may need to buy in the heart of winter which could be the dearest time to buy. Sometimes if you buy near the start of winter, then refill near the end it works out cheaper over the year.
  • Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ollywood68,
    I was very intersted to read your post as we have just been discussing this in work and a colleague just got 500 ltrs from Clandeboye fuels for £121. I have no connection to Clandeboye other than buying my fuel from them and can honestly say that they are often the cheapest, you can pay via credit card, debit card, cheque or cash and have 14 days to do so. Also, he nearly always delivers next day.
    Cheers!

(Honestly, I dont have anything to do with this company even tho it may sound as if I do
  • JanetRose wrote:
    ollywood68,
    I was very intersted to read your post as we have just been discussing this in work and a colleague just got 500 ltrs from Clandeboye fuels for £121. I have no connection to Clandeboye other than buying my fuel from them and can honestly say that they are often the cheapest, you can pay via credit card, debit card, cheque or cash and have 14 days to do so. Also, he nearly always delivers next day.
    Cheers!

(Honestly, I dont have anything to do with this company even tho it may sound as if I do

Cheers for a positive comment on what i throught was a helpful first posting on getting better value for money when buying oil. My table did show that Clandyeboye was the cheapest also, but I went back to the company that I have got oil from over the last number years as they matched the price. If they hadn't matched the price then I would have went with Clandeboye. But my objective was to get the cheapest price irrespective of the company and I did get that. PS When ordering oil, I think they have 3 prices per litre, under 500 or 600 litres, over this level and under say 2000 and 2000 and over. So it may be worthwhile when ordering a half a tank to ask at what level the price per litre changes
  • jnd
    jnd Posts: 453 Forumite
    I always thought the price changed at 500 and 900L and thus always order 900 Litres. I think I will check next time I'm phoning around. I usually find Ian Martin Fuels in Lisburn - 92612536 to be one of the cheapest and that's him delivering to me in Bangor.
  • jnd wrote:
    I always thought the price changed at 500 and 900L and thus always order 900 Litres. I think I will check next time I'm phoning around. I usually find Ian Martin Fuels in Lisburn - 92612536 to be one of the cheapest and that's him delivering to me in Bangor.

Nice one. I will add him to my list next time.
  • kestra
    kestra Posts: 25 Forumite
    i ordered recently from carlisle fuels who where the same price as cheaper oil.com at about 118.

well worth it
  • serpico
    serpico Posts: 169 Forumite
    Just paid £236 for 1000 litres from Kennedy's in Ballymena for same day delivery to North Antrim coast.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure