MOT expiry date

wazza
wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
With old style mot if you took your car up to a month before expiry date the new mot certificate will start from the expiry date.

Is this still applicable with the new style mot certificate? The reason i ask is when i took my car for a mot a week before expiry date last year the new certificate was dated from the date of test and not from the old expiry date. I pointed this out to the examiner who said simply attached the old mot certificate and it will be okay. Now do i take it for mot on the expiry date of new certificate or on the day it was supposed to expire?

Is there a fine for missing the mot expiry date? In another words what happens if i take it a day after expiry date since everything is computerised.
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Comments

• Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It certainly still applies, we took our car in a month before hand to be done and a 13 month MOT was issued. Now that your MOT is computerised it is done automatically, there is no need for the old mot to be seen for the extra month to be added.

Your MOT certificate expires on the date printed on it, it would be against the law to drive after the date printed on the certificate, other than to a prebooked MOT test.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The best thing about computerised MOT's is you can check all the details online. I did this straight after coming back from an MOT and it was on there. Details will be on your MOT certificate of how to do this.
  • reheat
    reheat Posts: 2,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Certainly can have new MOT dated 12 months on from expiry of old one, so long as within a month and so long as you take the old certificate in ~ still have to take the old one in despite computerisation as I understand it. Suspect your tester just goofed and then didn't feel like putting it right. I'm sure he is wrong ~ legally and ethically ~ to suggest you could overrun the new MOT's expiry date just 'cos you stapled the old one to it! Pile of old bull I think! In effect he's cost you money by his mistake, but I'm not sure the best way for you to get it sorted.

Edit: My son suggests you look at http://www.vosa.gov.uk/
    Favours are returned ... Trust is earned
    Reality is an illusion ... don't knock it
    There's a fine line between faith and arrogance ... Heaven only knows where the line is
    Being like everyone else when it's right, is as important as being different when it's right
    The interpretation you're most likely to believe, is the one you most want to believe
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    reheat wrote: »
    Edit: My son suggests you look at http://www.vosa.gov.uk/

Yep they'd be the people to make a complaint to about an MOT test station. All this is detailed on the MOT stuff :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure