Silentnight Miracoil...is it so bad?

I am looking for a new bed so my daughter can have our 10 month old rest assured. Nearly bought a Sealy Posturepedic Gold Dream from Tesco but went to a shop and got caught up in the usual bed nightmare.
Wifey wants a Tempur but I dislike them (especially at £1800), we both liked the feel of the 'Sleep for Life 500' and also a Relyon memory foam style bed that was nice and cool, unlike the tempur.
However, the bed we really liked was a Silentnight Miracoil Zone 7 Deluxe Double 2 Drawer divan.

It would seem that this is based on the Miracoil 7 Pocket 2100 but with an extra layer of memory foam. Price is good and I am up for it but I read a lot of bad comments (mostly here) about the Miracoil. As this has the extra pocket sprung layers and memory foam will it be such a bad purchase?
They offered me a good deal on the SFL (just under £1000 if I have the 'generic' i.e. non matching base).

Need to get a new bed ordered tomorrow so hoping someone can share their experiences or advice with me...:)

Comments

• Orrin
    Orrin Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Mini pocket springs over an open coil system sounds like a gimmick. If I were you I'd be looking for something simpler with memory foam and pocket springs only.

I had a Silentnight miracoil bed a few years ago and it was nothing special but not terrible. You do hear a lot of complaints about them though it could just be because they sell a lot of beds.
  • Thanks for the feedback. Strange that most of the reviews I read from purchasers are usually good. This is the first site I came across that changed my view of Silentnight beds. To be honest, we like the bed; find it very comfortable. I just worry that it will develop issues. £750 is still a fair amount of money to waste if it did turn out to be less than satisfactory.
  • Orrin
    First Anniversary
    My main concern would be the pocket springs with miracoil combination. Pocket springs are a technical improvement over open coil so there doesn't seem to be any reason to combine the two systems. Usually it's a case of one or the other with manufacturing cost the determining factor; pocket springs are more expensive to produce. Apart from the fact that it just sounds like a gimmick, I'd also be worried that with two different systems like that there's a higher chance of something going wrong.
  • True enough, I have no idea why they do this other than to cut down the cost. It is comfy though.
    Can I ask Orrin, do you have a technical or retail connection to the bed market or are you simply a consumer with experience of this particular Silentnight range, I only ask as you seem quite knowledgeable.
  • Orrin
    First Anniversary
    My knowledge is just based on my own research and experience as a consumer and I have no connection with the bed industry. As I said I have owned a Silentnight bed before, but it was (IIRC) a plain old miracoil.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Does the bed come with any kind of guarantee that if it does develop a fault, you are covered? Beds are so indivdual that if you both find it comfy I would go with your personal preference.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• 5 year guarantee. Everything covered first year, you have to pay towards transport in second year then contribute to cost of replacement in the last 3 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure