Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    peterx wrote: »
    .What do people think about this long 4 year fix.This could be a winner especially if prices rise.All very confusing.

Conversely it could be a loser!

The wisdom of moving to a long term fix has been discussed on MSE many times over the years. Then, as now, it is simply a gamble.

You can pay considerably more in the first year over currently available 12 month fixed tariffs and that will take a considerable period to recoup.

Given all the noise coming from the main political parties, I am gambling that there will not be huge rises in energy prices. However I bet good money that Trump couldn't possibly become President!
  • peterx
    peterx Posts: 137 Forumite
    This years switching is going to be huge gamble,thanks for comment.
  • peterx wrote: »
    This years switching is going to be huge gamble,thanks for comment.

I still think it's unfortunate that MSE aren't able to get a collective switch together for their members who are on the October-October cycle. We are now within the 50 day switch window.

They said it's difficult, but comparethemarket and moneysupermarket have got exclusive deals that easily beat the basic ones on uswitch and the MSE energy site, and don't rely on the plethora of unheard-of new small companies...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I still think it's unfortunate that MSE aren't able to get a collective switch together for their members who are on the October-October cycle. We are now within the 50 day switch window.

They said it's difficult, but comparethemarket and moneysupermarket have got exclusive deals that easily beat the basic ones on uswitch and the MSE energy site, and don't rely on the plethora of unheard-of new small companies...

It takes two to tango. The CMA and Ofgem have taken the shackles off the number of tariffs and offers that suppliers can make. Why would a supplier want to give MSE £60 to attract customers when the rules now allow suppliers, like Bulb, to offer new customers a £50 discount via a customer referral code? Collective switches may well continue but they are unlikely, imho, to offer market-leading (low) prices.

Small companies are no different from the Big 6 - there are good and bad suppliers for customer service. For example, I would say that Zog has exceptional customer service and it has just over 20.000 customers. Conversely, BG is now under an Ofgem investigation for its alleged failure to comply with Conditions of its Supply Licence.
  • M271
    M271 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well I've gone for the 'bird in the hand' policy and have started the switch from the collective switch to EDF Fixed until September 2018. Better deals may or may not come later but any overlapping weeks into the far higher BG standard tariff will cost a lot more. Its costing me now £89 / month rather than the £80 on the collective but BG raised my DD to £86 anyway during the year even though I was in credit, so have a refund due.
    Good luck to you waiting for a new good collective or better energy company pre-winter deals and I hope that you get one, but for me the EDF offer is OK in the CURRENT market.
  • My deal ends 31st August. According to the switching tool I cannot get anything close to my current deal. Cheapest seems to be £50 more than Im paying now (I'm an annual switcher), and thats with a supplier with warnings attached. Very disappointed as a regular switcher that I am going to have to pay more.

What is the market expected to do in the next month? Im wondering whether I should hold on switching and seeing if the deals improve?
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    In about a weeks time the Collective Switch ending 3rd Oct will be within the 50 day period without penalty.

It doesn't matter to me that I can switch without penalty, in fact I will be hanging on as long as possible, as there is no tariff that is cheaper than my present tariff.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • Like many others, my collective switch deal is coming to an end. When I click on the link 'See MSE's Top Energy Picks' in the email I received from MSE advising me of this, - the top recommendation offered as a money-saver, is being investigated by Ofgem, the second one has a high volume of unhappy users who struggle to contact the company, & the next five on list are such new companies that MSE has no feedback on them yet.
    These are recommendations from a consumer advice site.....REALLY!??
  • I'm in the same situation. Makes you wonder if BG have got the charges correct!!
  • M271
    M271 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    PaulW2246 wrote: »
    Like many others, my collective switch deal is coming to an end. When I click on the link 'See MSE's Top Energy Picks' in the email I received from MSE advising me of this, - the top recommendation offered as a money-saver, is being investigated by Ofgem, the second one has a high volume of unhappy users who struggle to contact the company, & the next five on list are such new companies that MSE has no feedback on them yet.
    These are recommendations from a consumer advice site.....REALLY!??

The big 6 also don't have good reputations but I in the end went with the EDF deal. Which for me was only £1 month more than the smaller companies (except the cheapest one being investigated and variable) and I will get £30 cashback from EDF which they didn't offer, so overall cheaper for the year for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure