Halifax credit card spam

Bit of a long one this. A couple years ago I was getting monthly letters through my post from Halifax for a credit card application. I am a Halifax customer, so when I called them about something unrelated I requested them to stop sending them not thinking much of it

6 months later I was still getting them so I wrote a complaint on their website. To be fair to Halifax they called me up very quickly to apologise and gave me a few quid to say sorry.

Fast forward to now and 3 more complaints/compensation I am still getting them. Last time I complained, Halifax said it was a 3rd party company who did their marketing so all they can do is keep requesting them to stop. I did receive a letter from this 3rd party company saying I had been removed but I still continue to get them.

The latest position is I sent a complaint 12th September and a week or so later – which is longer than usual – a manager called me (this hasn't happened before) and requested if I could send a picture of the latest letter, which I sent.

I have heard nothing since, in the meantime I have received ANOTHER application through my door. I am annoyed because it is such a massive waste of time and money sending these out.

I suppose my question is, is this something that I should be taking further, and if so, how? I am getting sweeteners of about £50 a complaint now and I appreciate it’s not the biggest banking complaint in the world, but I feel given the amount of contacts and length of time this has been going on it should be escalated.

Thanks

Comments

• SHill
    SHill Posts: 146 Forumite
    Why dont you just pop into a Halifax branch & speak to someone.
  • I am annoyed because it is such a massive waste of time and money sending these out.

Don't worry about the time and cost. It's in the region of 23p a pack and fully automated.

Escalate to the ICO if the packs keep coming.
  • amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Blimey, £50 per complaint? How do I get them to harass me :D
  • its like a very small lottery win whenever I get one through the door
  • I gave up at the font.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    *Makes mental note to have a moan at Barclaycard for unsolicited spam mail all the time* I'm not even a Barclays customer, so doubly annoying for me to get their stuff, but it gets filed under B.

It would be nice if these companies took ownership of their rubbish also. The letters say they're from Halifax, I don't, and shouldn't care if they employ someone else to send their marketing gumpf.

If you complain to them, they should sort it. If they still don't get it, complain louder. As ZX81 stated, threaten them with the ICO.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Change your marketing preferences online and they will stop sending them,

if you struggle to do this online, then go into a branch and they will do it for you.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Can't you just throw the letters unopened in the bin?
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    meh, just file them in the bin like any other normal person would.

wheres the issue?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport