Personal Finances - critical inputs invited please

Hello

Would like to solicit some critical inputs / suggestions to what further I can do on the personal finance front.

My current situation:

I am 42 and my wife is 40. Two gorgeous daughters, 10 and 7. I earn around £100k base per annum and have consistently been getting an annual bonus between £40k and £50k over the past five years (although I expect this to go down over the next couple of years due to market uncertainty, etc.). Wife works and takes home around £2k per month. I own an apartment jointly with my wife that is currently rented out, on which I get circa £1700 per month. We live in a house that is owned as well (with a mortgage).

Mortgage amounts outstanding are £265k on the BTL and £320k on the residential. Monthly mortgage payments are £475 (IOM) and £750 (part IOM, part repayment) respectively.

In the current environment, I firmly believe that cash is king at least for the next six months before the dust settles. Based on how things go, if interest rates rise exponentially, I want to bring down my mortgage outstandings. On the other hand, if house prices drop considerably, I want to buy a property or two as investment and monthly rental income avenues.

Existing savings:

I have around £90k in savings (including £33k in a Santander ISA). This is broadly divv-ied into:

First Direct Reg Saver @ 6% à 300
HSBC Reg Saver @ 6% à 500
Santander Reg Saver @ 5% à 400
TSB Reg Saver @ 5% à 500
TSB Curr Acc X 3 @ 5% à 6000
Club Lloyds @ 4% à 5000
Santander 123 Sole Ac @ 3% à 20000
Santander 123 Joint Ac @ 3% à 15300
Bank of Scotland X3 @ 3% à 9000
Santander ISA @ 1% à 33000

Currently, I make annual interest on the above accounts of circa £2250.

Steps I have recently taken to further optimize:

1. Have asked First Direct for an ISA opening and transfer form – this should make the return on my ISA a little more respectable from 1% to 1.3%
  2. Wife has just opened an HSBC RS and will be opening a Santander RS over the weekend, with money to be sourced from monthly salaries or the lowest paying Santander 123 accounts
  3. Have applied for two Money Transfer cards over the past two days and got accepted for both. Got a Virgin Money card limit of £10k and Tesco Bank card limit of £14,800. Will initiate 95% money transfer for both these cards once I receive them, interest-free for 35 and 40 months respectively.
  4. Direct debits for the MT cards already set up on Santander 123 accounts. I am a stoozing veteran (cumulative credit limit available of £82.5k on cards held) and am mindful of the need to ensure due diligence on keeping up monthly payments.

Next steps I anticipate I will be initiating shortly:

• Open a sole Santander 123 account for the wife to “park” the money transfer of over £20k I will be effecting on my new MT cards
  • Wife already has a Club Lloyds account – need to ensure we are making the most of the £5k to get the 4% interest
  • Get the wife to apply for the two Money Transfer cards as well, and hopefully if approved, effect MT transactions on these cards
  • Depending on credit scoring considerations, take baby steps for wife to open TSB current accounts, followed by First Direct among others (this is the reason for applying for the MT cards first, and then look at current accounts to house them).
  • I have a workplace pension which I need to optimize – I will be doing some work on that over this weekend (but queries about that would need a separate dedicated post in itself).
  • Get the Santander mortgage, which is currently 200k IOM and 120k repayment to convert to full IOM. This frees up some more cash on a monthly basis which can also be redirected towards savings (in keeping with my underlying view of “Cash is King” for the next 6-12 months).

Other details:

I am originally from India and have an apartment in Bombay and one in Kerala, both fully owned. Have some shares in India, which by current exchange rates would convert to circa GBP 75k. The reason I state this is that should my job, etc. go pear-shaped and if worst case the job prospects in the Banking industry in London aren’t bright given Brexit uncertainties, I have a fall-back in India although that would be the absolute last resort.

If you have been reading thus far, thanks for your patience. I think I have done reasonably ok in financial discipline, etc., but I firmly believe that there is always room for further optimization. In keeping with this, could you please provide your feedback, and more importantly, further suggestions on any other steps you believe I can take to further optimize?

Cheers
WW
It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!

Comments

• skyepark
    skyepark Posts: 419 Forumite
    what is the interest rate of your mortgage? I bet it isn't 1% so use that money to overpay some mortgage. well done on all your accounts!
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 July 2016 at 12:33PM
    You sound like you're doing well for yourself. You've a high paying job, partner in work, some local and foreign property, and begun some savings.

All set up with a firm foundation and household take home pay of £100k+. So it seems a little odd to me you only have £90k. Maybe your expenses are high, or you spent a few years of saving on those properties, or a large amount goes to remittances.

Also a little strange is the pursuit of interest only mortgaging. Maybe you see it a little like stoozing. But IOM when you have some money at just 1.3%? Doesn't make sense to me. And you're highly exposed to property in the form of BTL (assuming a smaller pension). Why?

I think where you should start is understand your goals. What do you want in the next 10, 20 years? When do you want to retire? Then see how to get there. In my case, I'd be throwing as much as I could to the pension, even £40k pa. but maybe that's not useful if you intend to go back to India in 10 years. But the fact you have a cash ISA says to me you are here longer term and accumulating until the point you want to move to stocks and shares with the war chest.
  • I love your signature line

"Cash is king" but vulnerable to currency devaluation shocks like the one we have just had. Are your shares in India, publically traded companies? I guess that adds up to a more balanced portfolio. Although heavily weighted towards property, and leveraged to the tune of £585k.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The one thing that stands out to me is that you have a large amount of cash but apparently no investments? That doesn't seem very balanced.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Walletwatch
    Walletwatch Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    skyepark wrote: »
    what is the interest rate of your mortgage? I bet it isn't 1% so use that money to overpay some mortgage. well done on all your accounts!

You are right skyepark, interest rate is a tracker at 1.49% (BoE + 0.99) for the residential, and 2.15% fixed rate for 2 years for the BTL. It clearly isn't 1%

I have been grappling with exactly the same decision as to whether further optimise in the short term by moving ISA funds to reduce borrowings, or view the ISA as a completely different category of long-term planning altogether... you've just vocalised the internal dilemma I've been facing over the past few months...
    It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 8 July 2016 at 2:14PM
    From a quick calculation your interest figure appears to be before tax (45%?). Taking tax into consideration arent your IOM mortgages costing you more than you are gaining in interest? This would be foolish, at least for money beyond that needed for emergencies.

As has been said at your age with your income your savings seem to be very low. Having an IOM mortgage and fussing about with small higher interest accounts and stoozing credit cards to my mind just isnt what a high income family should be focussing on. It sounds more like what a low income person with money problems may do.

So in your position I would

- analyse spending to ensure that a significant amount of income can be saved. Make maximum use of pensions and S&S ISAs to minimise tax.
    - develop a long term high level financial plan based on long term objectives
    - diversify investments - in my view a significant part of what should be a large pot of savings should be in funds, mainly shares, in a tax protected environment.
    - change the mortgage on your home to repayment.

At the moment you ar running high risks. Your high interest cash accounts are based on the banks having a loss-leader marketing strategy, this could stop suddenly. Your IOM mortgage interest rates could rise significantly. House prices in general and appartment prices in particular could drop significantly within a few years of BREXIT. Add in the risk of you losing your high income and if I were in your position I would be frightened.
  • Walletwatch
    Walletwatch Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    TheTracker wrote: »
    All set up with a firm foundation and household take home pay of £100k+. So it seems a little odd to me you only have £90k. Maybe your expenses are high, or you spent a few years of saving on those properties, or a large amount goes to remittances.

Agree - have had to spend some money on my properties in India, bought my sister her own house, and spent considerable sums of money on ensuring I had a healthy deposit on my own properties here. My BTL property is now worth £500k and the residential one is £650k. Being the typical conservative Indian, I haven't ventured into a property purchase till I had a good 25% deposit, the stamp duty amount and a buffer of 6-8 months take-home in case of unanticipated redundancy at work.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Based on how things go, if interest rates rise exponentially
    ======

Brexit has put a stake through the heart of that puppy, even if it was on the cards before, which it wasn't.

Also, as per many others, I'm mystified why you are paying interest only a mortgage when you really will be struggling now to get any decent interest, best deal is surely to convert to repayment, or at least whats the point of all these 1%, 1.3% etc savings (losing money every year now in real terms) and all the faff of stoozing and managing that when you could be getting 1.49 and 2% tax free by paying down your mortgage?

Or are you not paying UK tax due to your circumstances?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Based on how things go, if interest rates rise exponentially
    ======

Brexit has put a stake through the heart of that puppy, even if it was on the cards before, which it wasn't.
    It's interesting. Although base rates may fall or not increase, BTL rates may go the other way as happened before if banks liquidity is impacted.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.

• . On the other hand, if house prices drop considerably, I want to buy a property or two as investment and monthly rental income avenues.

As someone who has invested heavily into both residential and commercial property, I would suggest that you look very carefully at the implications of capital gains tax :eek:, before proceeding with any further purchases.

I think you have done exceedingly well, but in your situation my focus would be pouring as much as possible into a pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure