Hogging right lane

Comments

• Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    I see the nonsense about me "policing" the roads has been mentioned yet again...
    You may not think that is what you were doing but your posts have given that impression to me and also to others.

Many posters on here think that you were probably 'hogging' the overtaking lane. Even your friends think that as you yourself wrote in your OP.

See this as a learning experience.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I drive every day on a 40mph two-lane road and when I was a newly qualified driver, the tailgaters used to terrify me!

Now that I'm more experienced and I know the road well, I know when to move into the right-hand lane and when to move over, this stuff just comes with practice. You're not in the wrong legally but we all know that most people drive too fast (myself included) and that being stuck behind someone doggedly sticking to the speed limit can be very frustrating, you will find this yourself sooner or later I promise you!

I don't tailgate people, nor do I flash lights or beep my horn if I'm stuck behind someone. I realise that some folk just don't have the skill or the confidence to drive more quickly, it's part and parcel of driving in the cities.

I do beep at the tw@ts who sit in traffic, looking at their bloody phones and holding up the queue though!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Just use the word "They".
    Really? It's very simple. Using the original comment as an example with varied construction:

You said, "... in a properly constructed sentence". The word "they" is not grammatically correct in the context of a single noun.
  • Yes, maximum speed limit for some does not equal maximum speed for others. Unfortunately not all drivers come to follow the highway code to the letter as you will observe with as your time on the road continues.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    OP - you started this thread by asking for advice, but when you don't like the advice you keep saying "I disagree". So it seems you are not after advice but sympathy, and I think you are looking in the wrong place for that.

As you lack experience and seem to have been upset by this incident, I would suggest buying some P plates - they just might get you a little more consideration from people who assume you are an idiot instead of assuming you are a new driver.
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    OP - you started this thread by asking for advice, but when you don't like the advice you keep saying "I disagree". So it seems you are not after advice but sympathy, and I think you are looking in the wrong place for that.

As you lack experience and seem to have been upset by this incident, I would suggest buying some P plates - they just might get you a little more consideration from people who assume you are an idiot instead of assuming you are a new driver.
    I was more looking for opinions rather than advice. I believe I'm allowed to disagree with another persons opinion? I've read everything everyone has said and taken the other points of view on board (even the ones I disagree with). I accept not everyone will see the situation how I did.

P.S. I'm not upset by the "incident" just curious as to others thoughts on it.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    esuhl wrote: »
    You said, "... in a properly constructed sentence". The word "they" is not grammatically correct in the context of a single noun.
    According to the Oxford English Dictionary the use of "they" as a gender neutral pronoun is perfectly and grammatically acceptable.
  • esuhl wrote: »

I disagree; as does, as mentioned above, the OED. Also, bearing in mind English is a constantly evolving language, many years' use of 'they' as a gender-neutral alternative to singular 'he' or 'she' has made its usage more commonly acceptable than the otherwise potentially sexist alternatives; and considered in the context of linguistic evolution, that makes its usage correct.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    neilmcl wrote: »
    According to the Oxford English Dictionary the use of "they" as a gender neutral pronoun is perfectly and grammatically acceptable.
    I disagree; as does, as mentioned above, the OED. Also, bearing in mind English is a constantly evolving language, many years' use of 'they' as a gender-neutral alternative to singular 'he' or 'she' has made its usage more commonly acceptable than the otherwise potentially sexist alternatives; and considered in the context of linguistic evolution, that makes its usage correct.

At best, that's highly debatable; at worst, it's incorrect.

It really depends upon how rigidly you want to adhere to the rules of grammar. The reference was to a "properly constructed sentence", which indicates a high standard of grammar.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was more looking for opinions rather than advice. I believe I'm allowed to disagree with another persons opinion? I've read everything everyone has said and taken the other points of view on board (even the ones I disagree with). I accept not everyone will see the situation how I did.

P.S. I'm not upset by the "incident" just curious as to others thoughts on it.

You do realise that having just passed your test, you are only just now starting to learn to drive?

Arrogance leads to accidents - you seem to think there is no way you could have been wrong, and as a new driver think you don't need advice.

Experience is the best teacher, and at the moment you are just a novice. Time you started to think like one and listen to advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure