Ask Atos Healthcare disability assessment questions

Comments

• halight
    halight Posts: 3,629
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Roxy07 wrote: »
    Disgusting. It's bullying.. ok the system wasn't good before but why do this to people who need it?

Your right, the system was not good before. its now a hell of a lot worse, And that's at best.
    At worse its Evil. And Getting even worse than that.

Atos and the DWP plus any other Private company that Dose any medical work for the Government don't care about people. To them people are just a Number on a computer screen, An to the private company's ill people are just another way for make money. profit for someones else s hardship.

Don;t forget. Atos and any other company's that might end up taking on contracts for medicals of ESA PIP or anything of the like that the Government seems fit to bring it, These company's will get paid no matter how bad a Job they do of the medical.
    There are 1000's and 1000's of very bad story's out there now.

Lets just hope that the something gets dose soon before any more life's are lost or health damaged.
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    The approved health care professionals' (HCPs) role is to carry out an assessment of the functional effects of the customer's disabling condition, and to utilise the information gathered to provide the decision maker with an impartial and independent assessment.
    What specific disability analysis training do doctors, nurses and physiotherapists receive over and above their general medical training?

Before working for Atos Healthcare, healthcare professionals must have at least 3 years’ post-registration experience across a wide range of specialities, and this must include some generalist training. All employees are provided with additional, comprehensive training specific to disability analysis. For the Work Capability Assessment, this includes an 8 day course for all doctors and a 17 day course for nurses and physiotherapists.
    Training of healthcare professionals can be considered in three distinct areas:
    1. Generic training
    2. Training to undertake benefit-specific assessments
    3. Scrutiny and file work training
    Now I have a question…

Mr X has had a quadruple bypass leaving him with left ventricular failure to those who don’t know (heart failure) and later develops type 2 diabetes which then complicates matters even more.

Mr Y who has had a single bypass with no other complications.

Mr Z who was born with Spina bifida (Almost all patients with Spina Bifida will require lifelong antibiotics to prevent infection. Approximately 70% of all spina bifida patients will have to have some form of drug therapy later in life to try to control their bladder over-activity, and approximately 70% will have to practice clean intermittent catheterisation on a lifelong basis)

Mr XX Who through an accident at work lost the use of the right side of his body.

Now all these people send in their filled out ESA50 which is then scrutinised by a basic nurse with no additional qualifications except a 17 day disability analysis course provided by Atos.
    How is it that a basic nurse is able to learn so much about a person’s ability when they have only had an additional 17 days training? Bearing in mind the different complications that all illnesses may carry, and then make a recommendation about what they believe?

I would like a specific answer and not something copied from the Atos website.

Hi sicknotethefirst

All the HCPs who perform scrutiny for ESA are approved Disability Analysts who have received additional specific training and approval from DWP in the scrutiny/filework processes. It is worth mentioning that while all HCPs will meet the minimum requirements as described above, many have considerably more experience and additional qualifications. The role of the Atos HCP, whether at filework or face-to-face assessment, is to look at the functional effects of an individual’s medical conditions. They do this by reviewing the information in the individual’s ESA50 form, along with any other information that may be present (or which they request from the individual’s GP, for example). They will then advise if there is a need for a face-to-face assessment, or in other cases – where there is sufficient evidence and in accordance with DWP procedures – offer advice to the Decision Maker at the filework stage.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Everyone
    Have to admit dont really know a lot about this re assessing however anyone can see its draconian. If the purpose of the re assessment is to get sick and disabled people back in to work then what happens the the disabled people alreay in work but are still claiming DLA? will they be re assessed to?
    Its a disgrace that people should be put through all this admitidly there are a few people who do shirk but those are the ones who should be targeted not the genuine people.
    Thanksl
  • awesome2 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone
    Its a disgrace that people should be put through all this admitidly there are a few people who do shirk but those are the ones who should be targeted not the genuine people.
    Thanksl

I agree that there are those who do cheat the system but most of these people *know* the system and so are harder to target and deal with.
    Many disabled people are a lot more vulnerable and have less support networks, therefore find it far more difficult to be able to challenge incorrect decisions and farcical assessments and so it is far easier to take benefits from them.
    Sadly the easier option is the one that is usually taken.

Dee
    http://dwpnegligence.wordpress.com
  • Hi sicknotethefirst

All the HCPs who perform scrutiny for ESA are approved Disability Analysts who have received additional specific training and approval from DWP in the scrutiny/filework processes.

Does the ATOS rep not believe that this is below the standard that should be achieved ? After all the DWP can behave in an extremely negligent manner in many cases.
    This is akin to saying that a serving police officer should behave with the same morals as members of parliament as a minimum standard.

In addition does the rep not agree that receiving training does not equate to behaving in an appropriate manner in practice. If this were true, far less assessments would be withdrawn as not being fit for purpose.

Dee
    http://dwpnegligence.wordpress.com
  • sicknotethefirst
    sicknotethefirst Posts: 184 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2013 at 11:37AM
    Hi sicknotethefirst

All the HCPs who perform scrutiny for ESA are approved Disability Analysts who have received additional specific training and approval from DWP in the scrutiny/filework processes. It is worth mentioning that while all HCPs will meet the minimum requirements as described above, many have considerably more experience and additional qualifications. The role of the Atos HCP, whether at filework or face-to-face assessment, is to look at the functional effects of an individual’s medical conditions. They do this by reviewing the information in the individual’s ESA50 form, along with any other information that may be present (or which they request from the individual’s GP, for example). They will then advise if there is a need for a face-to-face assessment, or in other cases – where there is sufficient evidence and in accordance with DWP procedures – offer advice to the Decision Maker at the filework stage.

If I understand you correctly what your saying is that all HCP's have enough qualifications to understand all illnesses and the their effects? regardless to how complicated this maybe? In your words you stated" many have considerably more experience and additional qualifications." I take it that this doesn't mean 'ALL'

You also stated...

They do this by reviewing the information in the individual’s ESA50 form, along with any other information that may be present (or which they request from the individual’s GP, for example). They will then advise if there is a need for a face-to-face assessment, or in other cases – where there is sufficient evidence and in accordance with DWP procedures – offer advice to the Decision Maker at the filework stage.
    Are you saying that if they do not have enough information they 'WILL' seek more information from the claimants GP?
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi sicknotethefirst

If this is true, why are there so many mistakes being made ?

And why are so many medical reports full of inaccuracy's ?
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • Another question for the Rep or anyone else that may know? Has the assessments started in Swindon yet ?
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Another question for the Rep or anyone else that may know? Has the assessments started in Swindon yet ?

Hi sicknotethefirst

Could you clarify your question please? Work capability assessments have been happening across Britain since ESA was introduced. If you are referring to assessment for ESA from IB these are also happening across Britain, but you would need to speak to DWP about their referral process and when you would be referred to us.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • sicknotethefirst
    sicknotethefirst Posts: 184 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2013 at 1:27PM
    Originally Posted by sicknotethefirst viewpost.gif
    The approved health care professionals' (HCPs) role is to carry out an assessment of the functional effects of the customer's disabling condition, and to utilise the information gathered to provide the decision maker with an impartial and independent assessment.
    What specific disability analysis training do doctors, nurses and physiotherapists receive over and above their general medical training?

Before working for Atos Healthcare, healthcare professionals must have at least 3 years’ post-registration experience across a wide range of specialities, and this must include some generalist training. All employees are provided with additional, comprehensive training specific to disability analysis. For the Work Capability Assessment, this includes an 8 day course for all doctors and a 17 day course for nurses and physiotherapists.
    Training of healthcare professionals can be considered in three distinct areas:

1. Generic training
    2. Training to undertake benefit-specific assessments
    3. Scrutiny and file work training
    Now I have a question…

Mr X has had a quadruple bypass leaving him with left ventricular failure to those who don’t know (heart failure) and later develops type 2 diabetes which then complicates matters even more.

Mr Y who has had a single bypass with no other complications.

Mr Z who was born with Spina bifida (Almost all patients with Spina Bifida will require lifelong antibiotics to prevent infection. Approximately 70% of all spina bifida patients will have to have some form of drug therapy later in life to try to control their bladder over-activity, and approximately 70% will have to practice clean intermittent catheterisation on a lifelong basis)

Mr XX Who through an accident at work lost the use of the right side of his body.

Now all these people send in their filled out ESA50 which is then scrutinised by a basic nurse with no additional qualifications except a 17 day disability analysis course provided by Atos.
    How is it that a basic nurse is able to learn so much about a person’s ability when they have only had an additional 17 days training? Bearing in mind the different complications that all illnesses may carry, and then make a recommendation about what they believe?

I would like a specific answer and not something copied from the Atos website.
    Originally Posted by Atos Healthcare company representative viewpost.gif
    Hi sicknotethefirst All the HCPs who perform scrutiny for ESA are approved Disability Analysts who have received additional specific training and approval from DWP in the scrutiny/filework processes. It is worth mentioning that while all HCPs will meet the minimum requirements as described above, many have considerably more experience and additional qualifications. The role of the Atos HCP, whether at filework or face-to-face assessment, is to look at the functional effects of an individual’s medical conditions. They do this by reviewing the information in the individual’s ESA50 form, along with any other information that may be present (or which they request from the individual’s GP, for example). They will then advise if there is a need for a face-to-face assessment, or in other cases – where there is sufficient evidence and in accordance with DWP procedures – offer advice to the Decision Maker at the filework stage.
    If I understand you correctly what your saying is that all HCP's have enough qualifications to understand all illnesses and the their effects? regardless to how complicated this maybe? In your words you stated" many have considerably more experience and additional qualifications." I take it that this doesn't mean 'ALL'

You also stated...

Are you saying that if they do not have enough information they 'WILL' seek more information from the claimants GP?

You seem to have missed the above ????
    Hi sicknotethefirst

Could you clarify your question please? Work capability assessments have been happening across Britain since ESA was introduced. If you are referring to assessment for ESA from IB these are also happening across Britain, but you would need to speak to DWP about their referral process and when you would be referred to us.

Thank you I will contact the Dwp.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport