Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dibings wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in the process of starting up an ironing service in Norfolk in the Potter Heigham & surrounding villages area. I have read this forum and learnt so much from you all, thank you. Lots of little things I hadn't even thought of. I've posted on some of the free online ad sites but as yet not had any replies. So if there is anyone near me who needs some help, don't hesitate to contact me ! With all these holiday properties near me, surely someone needs a hand ?!?!?!

Have you tried the boatyards? The linen is changed on the hireboats once a week, twice if the boat is on a short break let.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Kaybenson
    Kaybenson Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can somebody recommend a good iron.

I have one Russel Hobbs bought for 25 pounds but its an apology!

I am so scared of ironing these days because it heats up quickly and tends to burn

Cheers
  • koolkid wrote: »
    Hi guys

My mum has been talking about setting up her own ironing business so I've read this thread with interest. I think she'd be excellent at it but I was just wondering how much you all paid in terms of public liability insurance? x

I think mine is about £60 per year. I thought it was very reasonable for what it offers but people on here maybe able to advise you further. I'll have a look for my info later to give more details.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Kaybenson wrote: »
    Can somebody recommend a good iron.

I have one Russel Hobbs bought for 25 pounds but its an apology!

I am so scared of ironing these days because it heats up quickly and tends to burn

Cheers

I've been using the Bosch steam generator B25L for almost a year, it is by far the best iron I have ever used. They are costly, mine was £90ish and that was half price at the time. Currys have recently had them advertised for about the same price. I would say mine has been worth every penny and I would even have paid full price, it has saved me so much time and effort.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • I've just bought this iron from Comet £99 was £199 and it's the best iron I have ever used. It is so quick to use too... My usual hours ironing took less than 15 minutes. Just need some customers now, got an advert in local paper and online, leaflets started posting etc. Just had 2 email enquiries so fingers crossed.
    Julie:j
    Always trying to save money but enjoy spending money too much!
    :beer:
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Hi Julie,

I just want to wish you luck where abouts are you based? Just to remind you customers stuff might not be as nicely washed as you wash your own stuff after doing this for 8 years I have found that out lol. But I can roughly do between 20-30 per hour with a steam generator maybe more if it's something I can steam like a football tshirt ect

Steph xx
  • hi every1,

just started on this site as was interested in starting my own ironing sevice. i dont drive and have no idea how to keep it all above board in regards to tax and n.i. etc.
    any tips and ideas would be great and also if any1 living in the swansea area are interested in coming in with me giv me a shout.

many thanks
    fi x
  • yan79
    yan79 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Hi!

I'm just in the process of starting my own ironing business to supplement my part-time income.

I'm advertising in the local post office window and I'm going o get some free business cards printed.
    I'm going to leave these at my sons nursery, local shops and at work in the coffee room.
    I've put a free ads in yell.com, Thompson local and a local forum.

Somebody also suggested leaving the business cards in places like public toilets and on table in cafe's

Just thought this might give a few people some cheap or free advertising ideas.

Anyway, if anybody needs their ironing doing in Sheffield these are my details.

I'm in S8.

I will pick up and deliver free in the local area or for a small charge outside the local area, or, you can drop off and collect.

All ironing is carried out in a clean, smoke and pet free home.
    Garments will be returned hung and in garment covers.

Please contact 07824316982 before 730pm or PM me.

Student and OAP discount available

Yan x
  • Loubylou2
    Loubylou2 Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I haven't posted for a long time now. I have 3 regularish customers now so not a huge income but I got them through leaflets in doors and also left cards in local shops.

I have a steam generator and TBH don't think i'd do it without one. I can do my own ironing really quickly but am still spending too long I suspect on other peoples ironing! Therefore per hour not making a lot but then again its all extra and I can fit it in with the family.
    I charge 70p per item 50p for children but have discounts so for instance £16 for 25 items.

Luckily OH does most of the delivering and collection as they are all near his workplace so it costs next to nothing in fuel.

Going to do some more leaflet drops in the next couple of weeks to see if I can get a few more customers. I got some stationary via Vist Print (cards & postcards) and have loads left.
    Good luck everyone
    DMP mutual support member 397
  • cazac71
    cazac71 Posts: 425 Forumite
    Hi all :)

Do any of you running your own ironing biz NOT drive? I cant, and was wondering if people dont mind, dropping off and picking up their own stuff?
    Also, i know those plastic bags that some people put over the ironing when its done look more "Professional" but surely they arnt good enviromentally?
    Just a thought,

Many thanks
    Caz
    Caz
    Debt free after 12 years :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts