English money out of Scottish ATM's

Comments

• if you're in edinburgh there's all the natwest and barclays cash machines. Or you could go to you're local branch and change scottish notes for english notes. if you're friends with a shopkeeper he might exchange notes with you. there's many possibilities.
  • When I have offered Scottish money to a shopkeeper, in Bolton,I get a look of "it`s a fraud", and they hold it up, to check if it is a fake. When I was in the Navy in 70`s, a Scottish £1 was worth 19 shillings and 6 pence.(95p)
  • Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    ailuro2 wrote: »
    The Natwest ATM in Dundee dispenses English notes.

Will it be dispensing euros, once the sale to Santander is finalised? ;)
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doubt it, as they're not widely accepted in the surrounding shops.:rotfl:
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've had them here and there, but never constantly from one place. Best to go into your bank and ask for them specifically, or ask for them as change in a shop.
  • lightisfading
    lightisfading Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mike1848 wrote: »
    When I have offered Scottish money to a shopkeeper, in Bolton,I get a look of "it`s a fraud", and they hold it up, to check if it is a fake.

Part of the problem if you work in an english shop is that you just don't see many scottish notes to have a 'feel' for what a dodgy note does or doesn't look like, any more than you'd know what a fake euro looked like.
  • glasgow airport's atm's give you english notes
  • Nationwide all give out english notes as far as I know. Glasgow airport should too because if your flying anywhere except the UK, they'll be refused.
    Was in a chip shop in England this year and the spotty teenager looked at my fiver as if it was foreign. The older assistant stated as long as it said sterling, they could accept it. The name of the chipshop? The Frying Scotsman.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    NatWest ATMs always dispense English notes, don't know if that will change now the Scottish branches have been sold to Santander.

Every HSBC ATM I've ever used in Scotland does too but I can't be sure they all do.

The Yorkshire Building Society ATM in Hanover Street in Edinburgh does.

The ATM in the arrivals hall at Edinburgh airport does.

I have never come across a Nationwide ATM in Scotland that dispenses English notes, if Scotsman4th has found one that does I think it will be an exception.

Nobody (apart from the issuing bank) is required to accept Scottish notes, they are not legal tender even in Scotland. The further south in England you go the less likely it is that they will be accepted. I always take some English notes with me when I go abroad as it may well be difficult to change Scottish ones (although I have heard - possibly a myth - of places offering a better exchange rate for Scottis notes than English ones).
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nationwide all give out english notes as far as I know
    Not in Edinburgh - none of the branches I've got money from issued BoE notes.

If you want BoE notes in Edinburgh then you need to use HSBC, Barclays, Yorkshire BS, Nat West, Edinburgh Airport or the ATM by the money exchanger by the Bagel Factory in Waverley Station
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure