eBay silly threats

Options
DH was selling a widget on eBay that was collection only. Far too much hassle to post due to postal restrictions.

He had it on BIN with best offer.

A buyer put in a reasonable-ish offer, so DH counter offered but noticed this buyer lived 300 miles away near a town with the same name, so in the counter offer message reminded the buyer that the collection town was X in County Y and gave the first part of the postcode.

The buyer had indeed mistaken the location, so that was the end of the matter.

Hubby has now received a snotty rude and threatening email from eBay threatening to remove all privileges blah blah blah for trying to do dealings outside of eBay.

!!!!!!??? The partial postcode would not even come close pinpointing s collection address.
Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)

Comments

• Tealblue
    Options
    Because you've breached ebay's inscrutable and totally insane 'rules'...
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They automatically scan messages looking for phone numbers or addresses, even if you try to disguise them. It sometimes finds false positives. If you haven't sold outside of ebay then you're fine. I don't know if they'll ask the other person, but if they drop you in it then it's not worth it.

ebay fees are ridiculous though.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 September 2017 at 7:05AM
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    They automatically scan messages looking for phone numbers or addresses, even if you try to disguise them. It sometimes finds false positives. If you haven't sold outside of ebay then you're fine. I don't know if they'll ask the other person, but if they drop you in it then it's not worth it.

ebay fees are ridiculous though.

I am afraid you won't. There are many posters on here and on the eBay boards whereby a restriction for 7 days, bans and other punishments have been given out for merely doing as the OP did here.

A seller I know has been banned for 28 days because they were asked for precise measurements of an item (down to the mm). On providing them, they received the ban less than 24 hours later. No appeal either.

In fact, our very own soolin had a restriction.

It seems to be a problem that no one can find the answer to.

Just a few to contemplate:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5654313&highlight=restriction

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5710220&highlight=restriction

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5709336
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to the club, it isn't just real breaches of their policy that is affecting sellers it is implied or nonsensical interpretations of the rules.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It seems crazy! This message was sent AFTER the auction had finished and someone else bought it, so eBay had their fees.

If DH had not given a partial postcode and general location, this other muppet would have bought it then wanted to cancel due to getting the location wrong!

I think eBay have gone a little OTT with their warnings.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • darklocke
    Options
    I while back I listed a vintage postcard from Manchester Museum picturing an ivory statue of a samurai on horseback. Ebay removed it claiming that I had violated their rules by listing an item made of ivory!

I spent a long time trying to convince eBay that a postcard is made of cardboard and contains 0% ivory - in the end I had to wait a while and then relist the item without mentioning what the statue in the picture was made of.
  • darklocke
    Options
    Oh, I have another...

One of my listings was for a comic with "Feedback" in the title - that listing was pulled because they claimed I was soliciting feedback. I still haven't worked out how to list something with this name without triggering this response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure