Tesco Credit Cards compromised

I received a letter from Tesco informing me that due to a 3rd party retailer data breach my card was blocked (three days after it happened and I had transactions declined as I was unaware in between these times it happened and receiving the letter) and new one issued. They hadn't informed me of where the breach occurred but when the new cards were sent, these are contactless enabled (unlike the old ones)

I then asked for non-contactless cards and was told that they only now issue contactless ones so after over 8 years I have now cancelled my card, so they have lost a customer that has alot of spending over a year.

Couple of points Tesco's should of improved their communication as to the initial issue (they had my email on file)
For customers like myself there should be a option for non-contactless

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I agree.

We have had Tesco clubcard credit cards for more years than I care to remember and we have cancelled ours.

Why they cannot offer a non-contactless one is beyond me, but they are the losers as we paid for everything with it.
  • derps
    derps Posts: 137 Forumite
    What's the problem with contactless cards? They're really convenient, especially in pubs, and if people steal money from you just get it all back from the card issuer right away.
  • browneyone
    browneyone Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unreal that someone would cancel a account becuase of this.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 13 May 2017 at 2:51AM
    To the two of you who have closed your longstanding credit card accounts with Tesco because you have been given contactless cards:
    I hope you have not bitten off your noses to spite your faces and that your credit ratings are good enough to replace these cards and their credit limits with the all so important non-contactless cards from other providers.

To the OP: This rather strange '3rd party retail data breach' occurred on your non-contactless card I imagine? Yet you couldn't care less about that! Your only gripe is that the replacement card was contactless!
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So the original problem was with a 3rd party retailer, not Tesco or contactless cards.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We actually cannot wait to get contactless on our Tesco CC. This is our main card, and it will be so much easier to put all spending on this (once the TSB offer expires of course!!)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • ichase
    ichase Posts: 9 Forumite
    Until the major companies mastercard and visa stop taking the payments "offline" then cards are still being used contactless months after they are cancelled. If you lost yours will you still be checking your statement for any contactless purchases 6 mths down the line to make sure its still not being used?
  • ichase
    ichase Posts: 9 Forumite
    I have an excellent rating on clearscore.. over 550 and noodle is over 650 both well above UK and local area average
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    To the two of you who have closed your longstanding credit card accounts with Tesco because you have been given contactless cards:
    I hope you have not bitten off your noses to spite your faces and that your credit ratings are good enough to replace these cards and their credit limits with the all so important non-contactless cards from other providers.

To the OP: This rather strange '3rd party retail data breach' occurred on your non-contactless card I imagine? Yet you couldn't care less about that! Your only gripe is that the replacement card was contactless!
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ichase wrote: »
    Until the major companies mastercard and visa stop taking the payments "offline" then cards are still being used contactless months after they are cancelled. If you lost yours will you still be checking your statement for any contactless purchases 6 mths down the line to make sure its still not being used?
    The card will regularly require a PIN authenticated transaction to be made. Whether offline or online.

This varies by card. It is strictly every 10th consecutive contactless transaction on my Nationwide card. Slightly less often on Halifax.

You should be checking every statement anyway. It's not difficult. You know where you shop, so any odd transaction should stand out quite easily.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ichase wrote: »

You should be checking every statement for every account you have to make sure they are correct. It will be easy for you to spot because if you don't want contactless on that card then you will know any contactless transactions are fraudulent and can report them immediately.

I have contactless on all my cards now and even my phone and I've never had any problems with it and don't know of anyone else who has!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure