Are we going into recession again???

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2014 at 1:40PM
    No.

Any particular reason why you think we're having a recession?

The FTSE and economy are not directly linked. A drop in the market does not mean we are in recession. We didn't even have the double dip recession that some thought was happening and with low inflation, dropping unemployment and growth that could approach 4% this year I don't see how that equates to a recession.

To quote from one of those links:

Capital Spreads dealer Jonathan Sudaria said the global economic situation did not warrant such a heavy share sell-off.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • lalman
    lalman Posts: 279 Forumite
    I think the Euro zone might enter recession, and with there bad debt dynamics it could cause us to go into recession... however, I don't think its likely at the minute.

It depends on the policy response...
    My Goal: From 1st of Jan 2015 to 31st of December 2015 is to save 30000.

48.78% towards 2015 target.

105.3% towards 2014 target. :j
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If by 'we' you mean the UK economy then I doubt it.

All the indicators are that the economy is in a reasonable state and well able to absorb any shocks such as declining European markets for UK goods etc.

Don't confuse what has been happening to the equity markets over the past week or two with how the economy is performing. There are links between the two of course but it is certainly not a simple relationship.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The slightest of falls in unemployment isn't being caused by a booming economy, it has come from an increase in the number of economically inactive and the number itself is so manipulated and changed it means little. The inequality gap is widening and larger numbers are being pulled into low paid work and subsistence living.

At least we have the illicit drug and prostitution market to thank for the GDP boost.

The idiotic sanctions on Russia following EUSSR/NATO expansion plans and the CIA backed coup d'etat in Ukraine seem designed to resurrect the cold war and boost US arms sales, that won't be helping European business and if they go under we will follow and the last triple dip narrowly avoided by some careful GDP manipulation may well become a reality.

Why the EU didn't just tell Obama to go and get stuffed wrt Russia is beyond me but that's psychopaths and geopolitics for you.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    What happens if you push this button?
  • puk999
    puk999 Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    kingrulzuk wrote: »

What's are your thoughts on the subject?
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Did we come out of recession?
    I must have missed that.
    All I have seen is the Government printing and borrowing astronomical amounts of money to throw at consumption and pumping up house prices.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Did we come out of recession?
    I must have missed that.
    All I have seen is the Government printing and borrowing astronomical amounts of money to throw at consumption and pumping up house prices.

I thought we did but now i think we all this !!!!!! going on we r still in recession :mad:
    What happens if you push this button?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I thought we did but now i think we all this !!!!!! going on we r still in recession

You do realise that recession has a defined meaning and using that meaning, we are not in recession.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Minrich
    Minrich Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    glen_clark wrote: »
    did we come out of recession?
    I must have missed that.
    All i have seen is the government printing and borrowing astronomical amounts of money to throw at consumption and pumping up house prices.

+1 ...............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport