PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

London price/sq ft in different areas

Comments

• aliama
    aliama Posts: 242 Forumite
    b!!! wrote: »
    For some reason people in the UK focus more on number of bedrooms and reception rooms than floor area. Properties with identical floor areas will sell for different prices if one has more bedrooms (e.g. one bedroom has been split in two).

Consequently, property advertisements in the past tended to omit this crucial information - although more and more ads now seem to come with a floorplan and sq ft measurement.

Why 'for some reason'? It seems logical and sensible to me that people would care more about the layout of a property and the number of bedrooms, because those are the factors that will determine how you live in a property.
    NSD May 1/15
  • bob2
    bob2 Posts: 121 Forumite
    aliama wrote: »
    Why 'for some reason'? It seems logical and sensible to me that people would care more about the layout of a property and the number of bedrooms, because those are the factors that will determine how you live in a property.

Number of rooms is of course important - but you can increase/decrease this by adding/removing interior walls. You can't add significant space without building an extension (if possible).
  • aliama
    b!!! wrote: »
    Number of rooms is of course important - but you can increase/decrease this by adding/removing interior walls. You can't add significant space without building an extension (if possible).

True, but it's not always as simple as that. The layout of the house might be awkward and not present a simple solution, and sometimes people just don't want to bother with the faff of building works -- they just want to move into a place and have done with it. Not to mention the difficulty of getting planning permission for a double-storey extension (because who wants a bedroom on the ground floor?), the reduction in garden size, the possible existence of a price cap on the property, meaning that building an extension could essentially be digging a big hole and pouring your money down it.

The balance of the property is important too. Some people might want a larger kitchen and be happier to settle for smaller bedrooms or a smaller bathroom; stuff like that won't be reflected in the total square foot of the property, although it will be reflected in the floorplan, which I agree is vital. I think my main argument here is that the floorplan itself is far more useful and telling than a total square footage. I always get a bit annoyed when a property on Rightmove doesn't have a floorplan.
    NSD May 1/15
  • aliama
    deelo555 wrote: »
    For my search I've found that I waste a lot of time looking at properties only to find they are too small (i.e. too expensive price / sq ft).

Is it possible you're expecting too much for your money? Another thread of yours mentions looking for properties in the region of £300k, and that won't go far in many areas of London.
    NSD May 1/15
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    When buying something witch will probably be the most expensive purchase anyone normally makes in their lifetime you need all the facts. The amount of square feet the property is IMO an very important fact.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • aliama wrote: »
    Is it possible you're expecting too much for your money? Another thread of yours mentions looking for properties in the region of £300k, and that won't go far in many areas of London.

Too right it won't. You'd be lucky to get a 2 bed flat any where decent for that.
  • orcocan
    orcocan Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    you guys don't make any sense

so, all else equal, a 500 and an 800 sqft 2 bed flats should sell for the same price just because they're both 2 bedrooms properties?
    price/sqft is an objective indicator, it's absolutely fair enough that buyers will want to look at it
  • aliama
    orcocan wrote: »

so, all else equal, a 500 and an 800 sqft 2 bed flats should sell for the same price just because they're both 2 bedrooms properties?
    price/sqft is an objective indicator, it's absolutely fair enough that buyers will want to look at it

Huh? When has anyone said that the size of a flat plays no relation to value? Of course it does, IF all else is equal, but the point is that in London, all things are rarely ever equal.
    NSD May 1/15
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What we are all saying is that it's unlikely for all things to be equal.
    This would only happen if:
    1. The flats were in the same block
    2. The flats had the same lease length
    3. The flats faced the same direction
    4. The flats were on the same floor
    5. Loads of other factors parking, balconies, gardens etc where the same.

This situation is rare in London.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure