PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Comments

• I have made Tiger bread lots of times. After lots of trial and error I came up with a recipe for the crust which is close enough to bought tiger bread to satisfy my kids. I use toasted sesame oil in the rice flour paste. 100g rice flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1tsp sugar, ½ tsp quick yeast, 1 Tab sp sesame oil and 150ml warm water.
    You can see a picture and my list of ingredients at my stressed mum blog.
    Sealed pot challenge #67
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    catherinen wrote: »
    I have made Tiger bread lots of times. After lots of trial and error I came up with a recipe for the crust which is close enough to bought tiger bread to satisfy my kids. I use toasted sesame oil in the rice flour paste. 100g rice flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1tsp sugar, ½ tsp quick yeast, 1 Tab sp sesame oil and 150ml warm water.
    You can see a picture and my list of ingredients at my stressed mum blog.
    hi,
    your loaves look absolutely lovely! :)

I tried that method some time back, see post #16, but once the loaf was cooked, the sesame flavour disappeared :( the post I quote below explains it
    seth wrote: »
    Which sesame oil are people using in the paste?

The smell and taste of the store bought tiger bread reminds me of the toasted sesame oil used as a flavouring in Chinese cooking. This is not the the same as the sesame oil used in for cooking or salad oils.

The toasted oil has a rich nutty smell and flavour that will not survive baking or cooking.
    can't believe that never occurred to me before :doh: as I'd never use toasted sesame oil to actually stir fry, only as a seasoning

anyway, now that I've got a working kitchen again, over the weekend I'm going to give the brush-on-some-Chinese sesame oil-after-the-loaf-is-baked strategy I mentioned a couple of posts back
    & I'll give the mixing the oil with the topping method another go using your recipe
  • Tiger bread is made with sesame oil and with a pattern baked into the top made by painting rice paste onto the surface prior to baking. The paste dries and cracks during the baking process, creating a two-colour effect similar to a tiger's markings, hence the name. The rice paste crust also gives the bread a distinctive flavour. It has a crusty exterior, but is soft inside. Typically, tiger bread is made as a white bread bloomer loaf or bread roll, but the technique can be applied to any shape of bread.
    Tiger bread originates from the the Netherlands, where it is known as tijgerbrood and has been sold at least since the early 1990s.
    It was introduced in the United Kingdom around 2005 as "tiger bread".
    It is sold as "Dutch crunch" in delis throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, but is little known in the United States outside that region.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I In the United States it is also sometimes known as dragonette bread.
    Tiger baps/bread/cubs etc were invented in the 1980's by a baker called Don Job, in a small bakery called The Oven Door which was located in Penzance, Cornwall.
    The original mix did not use sesame oil - just plain vegetable oil, rice flour, yeast and water mixed with a whisk and left to stand for a while.
    The tiger mix we see on bread in supermarkets is supplied as a premix now by Allied Bakeries.
  • avinabacca
    avinabacca Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Tiger bread is made with sesame oil and with a pattern baked into the top made by painting rice paste onto the surface prior to baking. The paste dries and cracks during the baking process, creating a two-colour effect similar to a tiger's markings, hence the name. The rice paste crust also gives the bread a distinctive flavour. It has a crusty exterior, but is soft inside. Typically, tiger bread is made as a white bread bloomer loaf or bread roll, but the technique can be applied to any shape of bread.
    Tiger bread originates from the the Netherlands, where it is known as tijgerbrood and has been sold at least since the early 1990s.
    It was introduced in the United Kingdom around 2005 as "tiger bread".
    It is sold as "Dutch crunch" in delis throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, but is little known in the United States outside that region.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I In the United States it is also sometimes known as dragonette bread.
    Tiger baps/bread/cubs etc were invented in the 1980's by a baker called Don Job, in a small bakery called The Oven Door which was located in Penzance, Cornwall.
    The original mix did not use sesame oil - just plain vegetable oil, rice flour, yeast and water mixed with a whisk and left to stand for a while.
    The tiger mix we see on bread in supermarkets is supplied as a premix now by Allied Bakeries.

Or you could just have posted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_bread :)
    Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
    - it's not real!

• Are we any closer to solving the mystery? I'd really like to get a good copy cat version going in my bm.
  • Swan_2
    edited 7 September 2009 at 7:42AM
    Are we any closer to solving the mystery? I'd really like to get a good copy cat version going in my bm.
    I hope to have another go later this week, I've been dying to try again but I've been hampered by moving home & some major joinery going on in my new house

once the sawdust's cleared away & my kitchen's useable again I'll report back :)

PS ... I'm going to make the dough in a BM but bake the topped loaf in the oven
    I've tried it in a BM, but you don't get a good distribution of the topping, because of the tall shape of the loaf, & it doesn't brown very well
  • Swan wrote: »
    I tried that method some time back, see post #16, but once the loaf was cooked, the sesame flavour disappeared :( the post I quote below explains it

can't believe that never occurred to me before :doh: as I'd never use toasted sesame oil to actually stir fry, only as a seasoning

anyway, now that I've got a working kitchen again, over the weekend I'm going to give the brush-on-some-Chinese sesame oil-after-the-loaf-is-baked strategy I mentioned a couple of posts back
    & I'll give the mixing the oil with the topping method another go using your recipe

I have the version of tiger bread dough you posted in my BM currently. I tweaked it a wee bit and added 1tbspn of the oil from the top of tahini instead of one of the spoons of oil in the bread. I also added 1tbspn of ground roasted sesame seeds to the bread mix. It's a wait and see how it turns out kinda loaf ;)

I'll post up pics later this afternoon when its all ready :)
  • Swan_2
    I have the version of tiger bread dough you posted in my BM currently. I tweaked it a wee bit and added 1tbspn of the oil from the top of tahini instead of one of the spoons of oil in the bread. I also added 1tbspn of ground roasted sesame seeds to the bread mix. It's a wait and see how it turns out kinda loaf ;)

I'll post up pics later this afternoon when its all ready :)
    well done :T looking forward to seeing your pics :)

I've not been able to give another try yet because I've got no water in my kitchen till Monday :(
  • OK, 40 minutes to go, just made the topping. It's a really thick dough like mix too, should be interesting getting it on the top of the loaf :D
  • No results to post. :(

Epic Fail!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family