Check your driving licence discussion

Options

Comments

• thompsonjensz
    Options
    rotund wrote: »
    If the photo license expires can you still drive with the paper license??

Does it matter if just the photo expires? or varying on the license itself?
  • TheShadowMan
    TheShadowMan Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,
    I recently moved house and in the process I have lost my paper part of licence.
    So I know I can get DVLA to change the address and send a new licence for £20, but then in November it will be another £20 to update the photo.

So my question is, if I wait until November and then send it in one go to update photo and address and get replacement will I only pay one lot of £20?

Thanks!
  • Juxxize
    Juxxize Posts: 60 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anybody know what happens if you send it all in ( paper license and photo card )to get your photo updated ( I don't know why they need the paper part if it is only the photo what is getting updated ?) and pay the fee and then either they (DVLA) lose it or it gets lost in the post what do you do then ? It would be just my luck. I looked into to doing in the post office but there is a £4.50 fee to do this and with the cost of the photo thats nearly £30 . I don't understand why a tiny bit of card that you have already paid a hell of alot for once needs to cost £20 anyway I think the DVLA have got one hell of a cheek. So much stuff gets lost in the post office I just wondered what would happen ? It worrys me I'd have to take my test again .
  • Juxxize
    Juxxize Posts: 60 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello,
    I recently moved house and in the process I have lost my paper part of licence.
    So I know I can get DVLA to change the address and send a new licence for £20, but then in November it will be another £20 to update the photo.

So my question is, if I wait until November and then send it in one go to update photo and address and get replacement will I only pay one lot of £20?

Thanks!
    hi, November isn't that far off so I should think you'll beable to update your photo now when you change your address. On the directgov site there is loads of info. If I was you I'd take a look on there and find out what form you need and do it all in one go now ( update your photo, replace the missing paper part and change your address ) I'll be surprised if the DVLA wouldn't rather you have everything on all present and up to date now, also doing it all now you should have pay the £20 fee only once on the directgov website thats how it seems to me, ( I suppose you are quite lucky you can get it all done now in one go instead of £20 here and £ 20 there.)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Juxxize wrote: »
    Does anybody know what happens if you send it all in ( paper license and photo card )to get your photo updated ( I don't know why they need the paper part if it is only the photo what is getting updated ?) and pay the fee and then either they (DVLA) lose it or it gets lost in the post what do you do then ? It would be just my luck. I looked into to doing in the post office but there is a £4.50 fee to do this and with the cost of the photo thats nearly £30 . I don't understand why a tiny bit of card that you have already paid a hell of alot for once needs to cost £20 anyway I think the DVLA have got one hell of a cheek. So much stuff gets lost in the post office I just wondered what would happen ? It worrys me I'd have to take my test again .
    Once DVLA have it, it is their responsibility until it comes back through your letter box.
    If they lose it, then they must replace it.
    If it gets lost in the post coming back to you, it is still DVLA's responsibility and they'll have to replace it.

Might be a good idea to get a Certificate of Posting when sending the thing to the DVLA though.
    Although it does not prove delivery, it is considered reasonable to expect the postal service to do its job.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rotund wrote: »
    If the photo license expires can you still drive with the paper license??

Your entitlement to drive normally lasts until you are 70 years old, unless you have a medical condition which stops you.

This entitlement continues even if you've lost both parts of the licence and the photo has expired.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I still have my paper licence and as I have lived here for 20 yearshave never had a reason to change to plastic, I did have a funny incident when I took my DH's paper licence instead of mine to collect a courtesy car, dozy me in a rush grabbed the first one in the folder not knowing he had put his in with mine. Girl at the garage said your licence has expired, mmmm I'm not 70 and I am not a man LOL. DVLA confirmed that i have a licence and I got my car no worries.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Relaxed
    Options
    Hi. I now live in Turkey and drive on my UK license and an International Driving Permit. The Directgov website says quote:You don't need to notify DVLA of a change of address when moving to live abroad: unquote. So, when I return to the UK on holiday and need to hire a car, is my UK license valid?
  • pinnerjim
    pinnerjim Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do not drive and am not insured on any cars for the past 2 years as now I get the train into town although I still have a license.Why should I be fined for not renewing when I am not driving a car??!! I never had an accident, but my last insurers will not issue a " no claims" certificate?! I am still a good driver and feel I shouldn't be penalised just because I don't want to renew!
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Renewed mine last Month to update my photo - they do send reminders when they are due for renewal. Its now valid until 2022.

Unless I change my address I should not need to send it off again in the near future.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income