Women's clothes sizes

Options

Comments

• LavenderBee
    Options
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    M&S still do the plus 4, have you a Bravissimo near you, you don't have to buy a bra from there but at least you will get measured properly, or even Debenhams fit you better than M&S.
    Measure yourself using the booborbust method and try on bras in that size and perhaps get the fitter to check for the fitting

Ah-ha, the rule of 4 does explain the difference in calculator results (and incidentally I did think that advice was still current...)

A quick question ladies, possibly for those more ample than I, but don't Bravissimo only do "larger" sizes? If I go in and say "hey, I think I'm an A but the internet says otherwise" am I going to be scoffed at for even crossing their threshold? Or am I thinking of a completely different shop?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Ah-ha, the rule of 4 does explain the difference in calculator results (and incidentally I did think that advice was still current...)

A quick question ladies, possibly for those more ample than I, but don't Bravissimo only do "larger" sizes? If I go in and say "hey, I think I'm an A but the internet says otherwise" am I going to be scoffed at for even crossing their threshold? Or am I thinking of a completely different shop?

Their website says:
    Lingerie, swimwear and clothing for women who are a D-L cup
    TBH, I'd pop in and explain that you've always had trouble with bra sizes and recently re-measured yourself using the new measuring system and instead of being a 36A you think you might be a 30F and would they please measure you.

I doubt they'd be sniffy about it.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    But not enough to post a 5 year old link. :whistle:

It is an old link as befits old news.
    Their website says:
    TBH, I'd pop in and explain that you've always had trouble with bra sizes and recently re-measured yourself using the new measuring system and instead of being a 36A you think you might be a 30F and would they please measure you.

I doubt they'd be sniffy about it.

They don't actually measure you, at least not as such. You spend about an hour in a dressing room while they run in and out with different sized bras from their shelves.

You can lighten the proceedings by going out into waiting area at intervals and embarrassing your husband by asking him what he thinks while the other waiting husbands try not to look like they are looking.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Not at all, they are very helpful and respectful, at least in the Birmingham one I went to.
    I do think they cater for larger sizes though, I think Debenhams are pretty good though.
    Take your new measurements and try a bra on in that size, the styles will also affect the fit, sorry I'm not much help
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It is an old link as befits old news.
    Old non-UK related news.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Old non-UK related news.

Try this for size (sorry)
    Chatting to Sam did confirm that the sizing that Bravissimo use for their bras and the other brands they sell is indeed different to that of most other companies. Actually, it makes more sense: because instead of measuring the band and adding 3 or 4 inches (so a 30 inch measurement is a 34 band size), they measure and simply use that number. And it’s easy to see why their method proves so popular… who wouldn’t rather say they were thinner than they thought, and a FF cup instead of a D? Well, not everyone, but many would! The trouble is, you can only then buy your bras from selected brands, and small shops like What Katie Did get a lot of headaches from women insisting they are a certain size and thus buying a standard-sized bra they don’t have a hope of fitting. But it does mean Bravissimo have a lot of dedicated (and satisfied) customers. Source
  • LavenderBee
    Options
    You can lighten the proceedings by going out into waiting area at intervals and embarrassing your husband by asking him what he thinks while the other waiting husbands try not to look like they are looking.

Perfect, this is exactly my approach to shopping :)

I may do both places and see how wildly different the answers are!
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    LavenderBee, dump the M&S booking and go for Bravissimo (they'll be nice even if they don't have anything to fit), Debenhams or John Lewis. If you want someone that really knows their stuff JL (or B), Debenhams are more hit and miss but do have a good selection.

Oh and try in store and buy online, far cheaper.
  • LavenderBee
    Options
    Thank you IAmWales.

I am so glad that men don't have this problem, it would make my husband really quite intolerable!
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 September 2017 at 2:04PM
    Options
    Gloomendoom
    That quote you posted doesn't make a lot of sense, If I measure 34 around my rib cage under my boobs, why would I want a 38 bra?
    f you go and buy trousers and measure a 34 waist would you buy a 38 waist?
    Bras are like any other item of clothing, the size is dependant on the style, the manufacturer and where it was made.
    It is about time that there was a standard size, ie a size 12 is a size 12 no matter which shop you buy it from
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure