JSA - Can they sanction me?

Comments

• CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    You will need to look it up. Use the traveline website. http://traveline.info/

Next time you claim do not mention to jobcentre that you want to relocate as they will offer you work anywhere in the UK. And...do not mention that you have a car. When they ask the question do you have your own transport say no.

I used to think that but was told having your own car is irrelevent.
    It isn't taken into account with your job search. I was told by a JSA adviser on this forum that the 60 or 90 minutes travelling time on your agreement was based on local public transport.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    CCFC_80 wrote: »
    It isn't taken into account with your job search. I was told by a JSA adviser on this forum that the 60 or 90 minutes travelling time on your agreement was based on local public transport.
    True but it also depends on where you live. Some rural locations just don't have public transport at any decent hour so it would then have to be based on travel by car....but not neccessarily at high speeds on a motorway. 90 minutes could get you quite a few miles away.

A village near me only has 2 outward buses at 9:30 and 10:30 to town taking 30 minutes and 1 return bus leaving town at 2:30. Utterly useless for any job so a car is definitely required....and it's only 5 miles from town....a 15 minute drive....they could say get a bike and cycle in to town as that would only take 30 minutes to an hour depending on fitness. Although it is possible to walk it in 90 minutes. And if the job pays well enough then a taxi can get to town in about 15-20 minutes or so for £8.50 each way. A taxi is a form of public transport albeit an expensive one.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • ultimatedingbat
    ultimatedingbat Posts: 750 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2012 at 7:24PM
    They will ask why don't your parents do a faster payment to you overnight so you can go to the train station first thing in the morning going past the cash point withdrawing the money and then paying for the train ticket. Agreeing to relocate and only looking for work which requires a train journey and also having no money to actually buy a train ticket is not going to go down well with them.

You don't need to agree to relocate and you can still apply for work anywhere in the UK. Personally, I'd just put a few local jobs down on the form even if they aren't related to your skills and leave the ones that are out of your area off the form.

I've been applying for a few local jobs but getting rejected flat out. It's their fault I've got no money as they delayed my JSA payment.
    The money isn't mine to spend now. My parents have it in a savings account which can not be accessed by me at all until I have a job. In a sense it is not my money but is.
    The money was less of an issue than the time! They gave me little to no notice so I couldnt organise to borrow the money (my parents are away at the moment and I am looking after my sister and the house and pets) so I can't just run off at such short notice. I also had prior commitments today such as doctors appointments for medication that I have been desperatly in need of and some other less than nice appointments (not filling details, lets just say VERY unpleasent)
    You do not need to just apply for teaching jobs surely? I have three jobs on my job agreement

I am just applying for teaching jobs at the moment. That could change tomorrow when I see my advisor for the first time though. Dreading it. I am still focusing on teaching as that is what I am trained to do.

Local public transport sucks lol. Just my opinion of our local system anyway
    True but it also depends on where you live. Some rural locations just don't have public transport at any decent hour so it would then have to be based on travel by car....but not neccessarily at high speeds on a motorway. 90 minutes could get you quite a few miles away.

A village near me only has 2 outward buses at 9:30 and 10:30 to town taking 30 minutes and 1 return bus leaving town at 2:30. Utterly useless for any job so a car is definitely required....and it's only 5 miles from town....a 15 minute drive....they could say get a bike and cycle in to town as that would only take 30 minutes to an hour depending on fitness. Although it is possible to walk it in 90 minutes. And if the job pays well enough then a taxi can get to town in about 15-20 minutes or so for £8.50 each way. A taxi is a form of public transport albeit an expensive one.

I agree. Our local system isn't great. I can go to the nearest cities within approx 60 mins. Whereas local town it is quicker to walk the 45 mins than get the bus!
  • ultimatedingbat
    ultimatedingbat Posts: 750 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2012 at 10:10PM
    Silly me double posted it
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you want that job?

If so, then re-schedule the interview and get them to say in writing whether or not they pay interview travel expenses. Then you can get the Jobcentre to pay, but only if you ask them BEFOREd travelling to the interview.
  • @Voyager2002 - They dont pay interview expenses. Job centre have told me there is no help. I asked about rescheduling but they flat out refused.
  • MissSarah1972
    MissSarah1972 Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Do you want that job?

If so, then re-schedule the interview and get them to say in writing whether or not they pay interview travel expenses. Then you can get the Jobcentre to pay, but only if you ask them BEFOREd travelling to the interview.
    You can? I have been told there is no funding for travel.
  • You can? I have been told there is no funding for travel.

THats what they told me too
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite

I agree that having your own transport whilst living in a village location will obviously improve your jobsearch, however if you have your own transport you should get treated the same way in your job search as someone with no transport. I.E they will not sanction you for not applying for jobs outside of public transport hours if you have your own car.

To reiterate the 30,60,90 minute jobsearch is based on the availability of local public transport and includes walking to the bus stop etc. I don't think using taxi's or getting a bike would come into it.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree that having your own transport whilst living in a village location will obviously improve your jobsearch, however if you have your own transport you should get treated the same way in your job search as someone with no transport. I.E they will not sanction you for not applying for jobs outside of public transport hours if you have your own car.

To reiterate the 30,60,90 minute jobsearch is based on the availability of local public transport and includes walking to the bus stop etc. I don't think using taxi's or getting a bike would come into it.
    That isn't going to happen. I could not choose to live in that village 5 miles out of town with no public transport then lose my job and expect to be on jobseekers allowance for the rest of my life as the number of jobs in the village are about 5 and they are all filled by long term employees.

If you read the Decision Makers Guide regarding Good Cause and Travelling Time. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/m-20-12.pdf then it implies that someone living in a rural location is expected to have more travel time than someone living in a town with good public transport links. Especially the quote "the travelling time is normally one and a half hours or more each way by a
    route and means of travel which is appropriate to the claimant’s
    circumstances". It doesn't mention bus only it says a means of travel appropriate to the client and that implies anything such as walking, cycling, taxi's anything....and also "Paragraph 6 does not mean that where normal travelling time from home to work and back would exceed an hour and a half each way, the claimant will have good cause. Some examples of where it may be reasonable for the claimant to travel for more than an hour and a half either way include where the claimant 3. lives in a remote location in which people usually have long journeys to work."

Also the travel time is 90 minutes each way. However, in another DMG the cost of using the transport can be offset so taking the job has to actually be worth it. You wouldn't neccessarily spend £17 a day on taxi's and/or train tickets for a minimum wage job 90 minutes away as you could easily be worse off than staying on JSA.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure