Delta Vs British Airways vs American

Hi all

So i take 2 return long haul flights a year. My loyalty had lay with BA but since the demise of the airline, i have decided to explore the other ventures and see if i can go to with another airline (American leaves later and Delta is roughly the same price).

I have tried looking online for reviews but trust you lot haha so can i have your recent experiences with Delta and American? or should i just stick to BA.

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My loyalty had lay with BA but since the demise of the airline ...
    Are you sure? We have forward reservations. :D

To answer your question, I think they're all much of a muchness. FWIW I would probably choose American because of their route network.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    I'm not sure there has been any demise in their economy service (apart from recent changes to food/drink on short haull) Crew have always been great IMO too
    Business Class/1st maybe? Others may have just got better.
  • If you have BA points then you can also collect these with AA. I personally dislike Delta. Prefer BA to AA ( says me who happens to be flying on an American flight codeshared by BA lol
  • is there any particular reason you dislike delta? i havent flown AA since 2009 where i was on a 10 hour flight and there were no personal entertainment systems, only the tvs down the aisle which slightly and somewhat has put me off.

i cant remember the last time i flew delta.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Not sure there is much point to loyalty if you're on a cheaper economy ticket. I'd choose whichever suits my needs for that particular journey. I live away from London so prefer to travel via Dublin or Amsterdam, so Aer Lingus or KLM. Indirect flights can be cheaper with minimal extra time.
  • about 2 years ago, there was with BA. A flight to NYC would get you just under enough to fly to europe on points, the food was good and service was great so if it was a case of £40 or something i would always go with them.

You are right tho. Not much point anymore.

I also noticed that the dimensions of my IT luggage "worlds lightest" small cabin bag dont fit either delta or American. Has anyone had problems with that?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I flew in economy with American Airlines from DUB-PHL a couple of months ago (2nd leg of a 3 leg journey). It was the most pleasant and comfortable transatlantic flight I've taken in the last 10 years (and that includes flying Virgin PE).
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If there's a big price difference then go with the cheapest. None of them are so much better that they're worth paying extra for.

If the prices are similar, then it generally depends on which route you are flying as all the airlines can vary a lot depending on the aircraft type used. There's still some transatlantic routes where American don't even have PTVs which in 2016 is embarrassing. On the other hand their new 777-300s are all singing all dancing. But then they are 10 abreast, so I'd still consider BA who's 777s are 9 abreast.

Basically.... price, then schedule/convenience, and only after those I'd really consider who's colour scheme is on the outside.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We do MAN - PHL regularly. I always check both sites for prices. AA can be slightly cheaper.

The flight is a code share, so it's operated by AA, anyway. Decent service.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • If you're flying economy I would suggest you avoid BA if the route uses a 787 as these are supposedly very cramped and pretty uncomfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure