Car hit from behind...who is at fault...

2»

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Troll reported for trolling :)

OP, if you're stopped then the other guy is at fault as far as insurance is concerned. you'll still have to declare it as an accident at renewal ut the effect it might have will vary a lot depending on many factors.

My partner had a fault claim last year for a parking bump with a small (they listed £1k as their "minimum figure") payout and that put hers up from £190 to £240 a year so hardly a disaster!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    yorks808 wrote: »
    Is it likely to rise by a lot though? I'm unsure as to why the premium would go up even though it wasn't my fault...

Its because even though you weren't at fault, you possibly contributed to the accident and you're statistically more likely to go on to make a claim where you are at fault. In other words, your risk increases.

As another poster said, it will depend on the insurer. Some disregard the first one or two claims, some don't.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Troll reported for trolling :)

OP, if you're stopped then the other guy is at fault as far as insurance is concerned. you'll still have to declare it as an accident at renewal ut the effect it might have will vary a lot depending on many factors.

My partner had a fault claim last year for a parking bump with a small (they listed £1k as their "minimum figure") payout and that put hers up from £190 to £240 a year so hardly a disaster!

And as it would almost certainly have gone up regardless (IPT, inflation ...), so you can't know how much, if any, was due to the claim.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    And as it would almost certainly have gone up regardless (IPT, inflation ...), so you can't know how much, if any, was due to the claim.

I would've thought that would be relatively easy to find out - by obtaining 2 quotes, 1 with the claim and one without. No?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    The one that crashed into you, may claim, better to get your version in first.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    It will go up, my car was hit parked outside my house, at renewal price increase for claim. Ubdidbwih and without.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You are deemed to be a higher risk client as a result of an accident. Not fair, but that's how insurance works.
    I look at it this way: a certain driver is careful, cautious and expert, and hasn't had an accident in his life. He also lives next door to a rough pub. Every week, someone scratches his car at chucking-out time. Every time, he claims on his insurance. The driver is blameless, of course - he has done nothing wrong at all - but it is easy to understand why the insurance company feel the need to load his premiums. Simple self-protection.

On a more day-to-day level, say you parked in a supermarket car park and got your door dinged while you were in the shop. You've done nothing wrong, but to the insurer it says "this guy parks in places where his car gets damaged - higher risk". Up goes your premium next renewal.

It doesn't seem fair, but I can't see how else it could be.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    cjdavies wrote: »
    It will go up, my car was hit parked outside my house, at renewal price increase for claim. Ubdidbwih and without.
    Not always, OH was scraped by a tractor when parked, company did not put insurance up by under a tenner, the amount you would probably expect it to go up anyway.
    Could be down to how much they want the business plus they had to do nothing just mark it on the record.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would've thought that would be relatively easy to find out - by obtaining 2 quotes, 1 with the claim and one without. No?

Yes, but he didn't ...
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OP, I had a no fault claim in 2012 - in similar circumstances. I was stopped in a queue at traffic lights, car ran straight into the back at me. I think they'd been too busy looking behind them to change lanes, and forgot to look where they were going. My claim was handled by a 3rd party company provided by my insurer at the time (Kwik Fit) so didn't have any direct involvement with my insurers - the 3rd party company basically said they only handle non-fault claims, and as I wasn't moving and was hit by a car from behind, they were happy it was no-fault on my part - and that was within an hour of the accident.
    My last claim before that (my fault) was 12 years before - it may depend on your history but for me, the one no fault claim made no difference to my premiums at the time or since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure