Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackste
    • By blackste 14th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 1,015Posts
    • 724Thanks
    blackste
    Prolific Academic - New Survey Alerts July 2017
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    Prolific Academic - New Survey Alerts July 2017 14th Jul 17 at 3:15 PM
    So after the old thread disappearing, this seems to be the new thread for discussion relating to prolific academy.

Standard rules please. No abusive posts, no flaming. Lets just make some money, and have some fun.
    Last edited by blackste; 14-07-2017 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Mortgage £242500 on completion
    FD CC 11/2014 £5900 (£3900 after BT)
    FD loan Approx £5700

Deeply depressing total - £254100
Page 89
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 21st Oct 17, 3:24 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    MissPop
    It sounds as if there are whole sectors of society whose opinions count for nothing to these researchers. Why should they be any different from anyone else? I bet a whole lot of it is to do with income since so much of this "research" is anything but academic and should have "market" in front of it.

What a noble purpose our *taxes are being put to if this is what universities have been reduced to. I wish they would just drop the pretense and admit the truth: They are just trying to part us from our money, ultimately.

*Before anyone starts, where do you think the money for student "loans" comes from and what proportion of it is ever paid back?

Apologies for the digression.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    That's quite some chip on your shoulder there Smodlet, isn't it?

I'd LOVE to be in a position to earn enough money to pass the repayment threshold, but as it I don't and so will continue to accrue interest on my loans, should I (hopefully) pass the threshold in the future. Universities get their funding from a variety of sources - EU funding (RIP!), lottery, corporate/business interests, investments etc - not just the "taxpayer", and recent graduates will be paying up to 6.1% interest on loans of, I would imagine, well over £40k. Plus the treasury will benefit from the increased wages a graduate will earn over a lifetime when compared to a non-graduate, so get over it.

Universities don't exist to send you (or exclude you from) studies that'll pay you a couple of quid here and there, you know.

Sorry for MY rant

@Smodlet, sorry to say this but you seem to be very bitter about Prolific and a lot of things. Move on! This thread has for the last few months largely been one huge rant about how people are not getting the surveys they used to. I'm largely avoiding the thread because of it tbh.
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    Amen to this
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £1035.38/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $110 | Swagbucks - £325
    Prolific Academic - £272.23 | Valued Opinions - £40
    • Gunsh0tglitt3r
    • By Gunsh0tglitt3r 21st Oct 17, 3:56 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Gunsh0tglitt3r
    Well you two and your high horses have just made things far worse than (many) people having a moan about some poxy surveys..

Did this just turn into the high school "you can't sit with us" crowd?

And Uni - the only reason so many people in this country manage to get onto a Uni course (because you wouldn't get the grades elsewhere) is because 95% of graduates won't get a decent job, it's business, and as you say.. interest accrues for much longer.. bigger debt, bank overdrafts, blah..
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 21st Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 4,767 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thanks, Gun.

Miss Pop. "That's quite some chip on your shoulder there Smodlet, isn't it? Try not being an over-privileged little... student.

I'd LOVE to be in a position to earn enough money to pass the repayment threshold, but, as it is, I don't and so will continue to accrue interest on my loans, should I (hopefully) pass the threshold in the future. Really? Universities get their funding from a variety of sources - EU funding (RIP!), So who is going to make up the difference? Oh, that's right, not your problem lottery, corporate/business interests, investments etc - not just the "taxpayer", and recent graduates will be paying up to 6.1% interest 6.1%? Gasps in horror. Get a clue! Standard credit card interest is 18.9% + loans of, I would imagine, well over £40k. Plus the treasury will benefit from the increased wages a graduate will earn over a lifetime when compared to a non-graduate, Why would a graduate earn more than a non-graduate? Because companies think some clueless idiot with a degree in TV Presenting, who cannot empty a dishwasher without guidance can work in customer services/admin alongside people without degrees who are fifty time better at their jobs, can never earn anything like enough to repay their student loan? so get over it.

Universities don't exist to send you (or exclude you from) studies that'll pay you a couple of quid here and there, you know. No; they exist to waste taxpayers' money getting any semi-educated moron with a woeful command of their native language a free ride for another three years+.

Sorry for MY rant
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 21st Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    MissPop
    I really try to be civil online but really, you can do one. Calling me a student as an insult? Very mature. Believe me, I am FAR from privileged and your assumption that all students are privileged slackers is both offensive and incredibly misguided.

Next time you need to see a doctor, want legal advice from a solicitor, use your computer designed by a whole host of different computer scientists, engineers and developers etc etc etc, just remember that all those people have invested their own time, money, talent and damn hard work to get their degrees so they can help ungrateful miseries like you spout your !!!!.
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £1035.38/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $110 | Swagbucks - £325
    Prolific Academic - £272.23 | Valued Opinions - £40
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,769Posts Today

6,772Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin