Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 5th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    • 1,593Posts
    • 8,231Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!
    • 5th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free! 5th Feb 16 at 10:35 AM
    Hi all!
    So from my title you may have guessed I don't yet have a mortgage, however I am hoping that will all change within the next few weeks.
    I will then start on overpaying the mortgage and really penny pinching to try and reduce it down as much as possible!

I'm hoping this is alright to start my diary in here? :-)

The story so far, my lovely girlfriend and I have been discussing getting a place together for some time. We started looking at houses (al very small and far from her parents- which is a no-no, we want to be close to them to visit regularly). Last weekend we went to see a new build development and fell in love with a house- less than 2 miles from her parents, perfect size for the two of us and within our budget (from getting mortgage in principle information and confirming monthly payments were well within our budgets).

Sooooo we took her parents round for their seal of approval, spoke with an agent we know through the family about pertinent questions to ask, did lots of number crunching and then placed a reservation.....

....so we've now got paperwork from solicitors re the conveyancing etc and paperwork from the mortgage advisors to sort out this weekend.
    We have re-jogged our budget to ensure we had the deposit in savings by end of Feb (we thought we'd have a few months before we found anywhere) so are ready to almost hand over £18500 :O

I have agreed to move into her parents house and pay rent in mid March to prevent paying rent, bills and food (will save an extra £500 a month) so we should be in a good position for when the house is ready September/October time!

Does anyone have any hints or tips so far?

Our brokers/solicitors are ones recommended by family who've used them and really recommend them and we've sense checked the rates the solicitors charge to ensure its competitive.
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1958.94/ £2150 91%
    Last 3 months- Jul £172.36 Aug: £212.52 Sep £206.32

Emergency fund £3880/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
Page 51
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 6th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 8,231 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    September round-uo
    Hereís the nutty gritty for September

Survey income- £24.85
    Savings- minus £200.15

Mortgage numbers
    Standard payment: £810.80
    Overpayment: £206.32
    Interest charged 1st October- £404.16
    Daily interest: £13.47

Total capital paid :£612.96

The savings dip was expected due to taking £200 out for the initial payment for the braces and dental work. I also withdrew to cover MOT & repairs as put money into savings throughout the year to cover it

The OP ended up not a round £200 as I accidentally paid twice on the last day of the month as the transaction didnít show.

2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 7th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 39,713 Thanks
    newgirly
    Great update KK well done
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £14,264 paid so far

Mortgage £47,330 4 years 8 months left. Total owed £63,993 planning to clear in 24 months
    WW target - 29.5 lb start date 11/5/17 so far 16.5lb lost.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 7th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 8,231 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Received the first years mortgage statement in the post! I was so excited to reconcile it- there were a few discrepancies which I’ve updated on my sheet (after checking my bank account!) I just need o re-check my monthly totals.

The good news is the Mortgage was £8 less than I calculated which I’m pleased with

Gf is away tonight with her uni friends for a mini reunion, so I have been for a free taster of Hotpod Yoga which was really good for flexibility, and I sweated buckets!

Now back home with Hugo on my lap and a chamomile tea (freebie from gfs hotel stay!) trying to relax before getting something out of stores for supper. for once I have no idea what I fancy so will have a rummage in the freezer and hopefully find something scrummy to make

2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 8th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 8,231 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Woke up this morning to find the last of the Fortnum tea canisters sold overnight hurrah! So once theyíve paid thatís another £8 to the mortgage.

Gfs in brum today but Iím picking her up at 10.30am but sheís messaged me that weíre going to have breakfast together in Brum-

Woke up early-ish. The boys actually let me sleep in until 6.30am, which was so much better than the normal 4am! So
    Iíve hoovered, washed up, cleaned all the work surfaces, put lots of stuff away and cleaned the bathrooms. Having a quick cuppa (one of my 3 a day because of braces!) and then time for shower and get dolled up for a breakfast with the lovely gf.

Had a mini scare with Hugo last night- hehadnít come in for his dinner which was most unusual and he was out for more than 2 hours without coming in, again unusual. So I went outside called him lots and lots but he didnít come in, I repeated this several times shaking his food container and the dreamies pouches and walking up and down the street to no avail.
    I eventually found him in the second woods (split from the first woods by a clearing!) but he was just laid there meowing. Luckily he has no injuries so I think he jollied off a bit far from home, got a bit scared by the rain and just hid for a while. Iíve let them out again this morning as he needs to get used to the area but will deffo not be letting him out when itís dark now!

Weíve got piles and piles of things to list on the Bay tonight so Iím hoping we actually do it, rather than just talk about it! The buy it bows have worked really well so far so I will continue with that for things that I think have value and auction off the little bits.

Shoulders ache a bit from the hot yoga yesterday- Iím definitely a convert- the house inside the dark, scented pod was tough but left me feeling very light and good now to see if I can work it into the budget. Iím going to refer the gf for a session so she gets £5 off (so only £7) and I get a free one hurrah!

Iíll also check out some YouTube yoga Vids to see if can do some sessions myself on the cheap- they do ten classes for £100. If I did one class a week and one YouTube a week I think Iíd see the benefit without it breaking the bank...will have a ponder on it as I enjoy my gym routine but really think this will help me to stretch out my problem areas (I get a lot of issues with my hip Flexors after running!)

2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 8,231 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Mid week update- pay day tomorrow hurrah!

Kitchen tiles are now up on the wall and looking fantastic. The tiler had a cancellation so came out on Tuesday and completed it in the morning- amazing how much more homely it looks now

Managed to take lunch in 3 out of 4 days this week which is an improvement and only one work coffee purchased. Reducing the caffeine intake is going well- yesterday I had one today I’ve had three, I’m cutting down to three cups a day as a maximum and seem to be going ok.

Had another yoga class last night, referred the gf so she got a free trial session and I received a £5 credit whoop! I’ve signed up to a 14 day unlimited pass for £15 so I’m booked in for Saturday and Sunday this weekend already. Went to the gym today and so far I’ve lost another 0.9kg so the weight is slowly reducing and I’m getting a bit better work/well-being balance.

Not much in the way of surveys this week as been inundated at work and had a very early drive up north to one of our offices this week followed by jewellery class in the evening so been a bit tired and not stopped much.

We ended up going with gfs family to see the Diwali light switch on in Leicester on sunday which was lovely: her uncle decided to come last minute so was nice to see them all

Her parents were pleased as we bought some dyed powders and stencils to do rangolis outside the house for Diwali and bought a few garlands for the outside to celebrate

2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 15th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 8,231 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Had a great weekend so far- I organized a good friends surprise 40th birthday meal on Friday for 22 people and it all went perfectly. Birthday girl was so happy

Yesterday we started the day with a 9.30am hot yoga session and then cleaned the entire house. We had taken chicken breasts out of the freezer and made a healthier version of this Korean chicken recipe: https://mykoreankitchen.com/korean-style-popcorn-chicken/

We baked the chicken in the oven rather than frying it, and dry fried the rice sticks in a pan. We also added lots of veggies from the fridge- chunky chopped onions, carrot, pepper and sweetcorn. Delicious! Thereís a portion left in the fridge which weíre going to bulk out again tonight and have with rice/noodles and stir fried cabbage.

Today we went early into city center to see our friend over the start line for a half marathon, then into town for a 10.30am yoga session which was fantastic. Walked back to the car (free parking that way!) and then went to gfs parents for Sunday lunch- a veg curry with little dumplings in alongside rotlis, sambar & poppadom. Gorgeous!

Now home on the sofa with blankets, snoozing kittens and a snoozing gf!

Had a discount code for yoga for 20% off and had a £5 credit for referring the gf so bought ten more sessions for £76 instead of £95 once my 14 day unlimited pass is up Iíll go to one class a week so itíll last 2.5 months.

Payday was on Friday- will do the money shuffle tonight. This mont is another tight mint as we have the boiler annual service, Home contents insurance and my car insurance to pay for.
    Iíve declined a few meals out this month over the next few weeks as with my braces itís harder to eat plus I could do with saving that money. A bit lame but now itís winter I want to just curl up with something yummy at home

£9.71 was OPd on Friday after my eBay buyer finally paid and I posted it off. For the first time in ages we have nothing listed so we need to get on top of the listings and get the christmassy stuff up

2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 19th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 8,231 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Payday has been and gone and it feels as though it was never here! Anyone else feel like that some months?

Standard monthly OP was made but boosted it a little so OPd £109.80, followed by £3 OP from a Pinecone survey. Then a further £4.35 for cashback from TSB for using contactless payments and a 30p TT.

Slowly clawing my way to the finish line of the years OP budget.

Tried to make all food this week; failed today as we were having a Diwali buffet at work but they moved it to next week so spent £3.45 on a jacket spud, chicken and coleslaw instead.

Achieved a 5mile run on Monday, suffered on Tuesday and then had a hot yoga session last night. I’m loving yoga so much at the moment and my weight has dropped a little lower to just under 63kg wooop.

Diwali celebrations tonight with the gfs family, can’t wait!

2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 20th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    Jessy103
    HI KK!

Yes I always feel like that after payday! Lol! I often think if I blinked I would miss it coming into the accounts and then leaving again!

Hope you had fun at the Diwali celebrations!
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,788Posts Today

6,696Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin