My Side Hustle

Comments

• PKaurK
    PKaurK Posts: 52 Forumite
    Profit £94/ Target £1,000 (31/12/17)

All earnings were from matched betting (began two weeks ago), to be honest I haven't dedicated much time to it. I need to step it up and my October target from matched betting is £400.

I've spent time on my blog this week and designed only one t-shirt, I have so many ideas for more designs. I'm also in the process of switching my current account to HSBC, I should receive a £150 bonus from this in the next couple of weeks.

I'll update my profile to include my blog of anyone is interested, I don't think I'm allowed the post the URL here.

Weekly tasks:
    Design two more t-shirts.
    Check on progress of HSBC switch.
    Publish two blog posts.
  • PKaurK
    Earnings £185.84 (since mid September)/Target £1,000 (31/12/2017).

Considering how well I've got on with matched betting this week (in addition to the above I also have about £80 profit in the pipeline), I think I'll easily meet my target for the end of the year. I've also heard the profits start to taper off after completing all the sign up offers so I'm not sure how long this level of income will continue. I'ms surprised by how easy it has been, it's got me thinking what I'm going to do with all this extra income.

Weekly tasks completed?
    Design two more t-shirts - only completed one
    Check on progress of HSBC switch - HSBC haven't done their bit so taking longer than expected.
    Publish two blog posts - done.

I think I'm going to design one T-shirt per week, I feel like this is achievable and I can make better quality designs. To be honest I don't need loads, if I do one per week for three months that more than enough. I'll start to think about how to sell/advertise them in November with the profits from matched betting. I won't use all of my profits, I'm going to begin with a very conservative approach.

My blog views are increasing, looking at the amount of views in the first week of October I'm on track to receive 500 views in my first full month of blogging. In September I only received 61 views, but my blog was only live for two weeks. My plan to increase views is to follow other personal finance blogs and interact on them, hopefully in turn their readers will also follow my blog. I don't have much of a social media presence, I think I'll tackle this at a later stage and concentrate on one thing at a time.

Next week tasks:
    Publish two blog posts
    Design one T-shirt
    Call HSBC and sort out switch
    Promote on Reddit
  • I think the money she'd is quite a good place to advertise your blog and get advice from others. I have not tried it myself just read some of the posts.
  • Beartricks
    Beartricks Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Are you using a matched betting guide, paid or otherwise and how much money did you invest initially? I'm looking into it, but I'm (probably rightly) wary of going in to it before I've done enough research.
  • PKaurK
    edited 10 October 2017 at 5:30AM
    Are you using a matched betting guide, paid or otherwise and how much money did you invest initially? I'm looking into it, but I'm (probably rightly) wary of going in to it before I've done enough research.

Yes I'm using OddsMonkey, I have signed up to the premium version which costs £15 per month. It is so easy to use, it has video guides and shows you how to complete each offer step by step. I would definitely recommend it.

But you can use the free trial, this includes two offers and you can make approximately £40 profit from the free trial alone. You can start out with about £100. If you want to test the waters or don't have much to start with, just do one offer at a time and slowly build up your profits. Once you have built up some money you can do multiple offers at the same time. It can take a few offers to get your head around it, but once you've done a few you will get quicker and you won't have to think about it so much.

I was wary of it at first as well, I initially thought it mush be some kind of scam or was based on probability with an element of risk involved. But I read numerous articles all saying it is risk free. So I finally decided to try it and only wish I had discovered it earlier.

You can always to try the free trial with OddsMonkey, read the instructions, watch the video guildes and make sure you understand how it works before putting any money in.

Let me know if you decide to go ahead.
  • Matched betting is NOT risk free! For example, bookies can go bust and if they have your cash, you have probably lost it. Also you can make mistakes placing bets and lose your money. It is ALMOST risk free IF YOU ARE CAREFUL!

I have done this myself and lost money by making mistakes initially, but overall made the money back quite quickly. I used Profit Accumulator who also charge around £15 a month but they have a forum that has a guide showing how you can make ~£300 a month on a part-time basis (hour or so a day) once you have used up all the welcome bonuses. I've never been gubbed myself, but haven't been doing this for very long.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Re Matched betting, this is till gambling and things can go very wrong. Please look at the sticky posts on the MSE thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4898621

Martin's warning on that board states:

"WARNING! Matched Betting needs MASSIVE caution. Not for beginners!
    This board’s for matched betting not gambling, that ISN’T MoneySaving. Mistakes can cost £1,000s.
    No offer’s checked by MSE. Always do your own research. In doubt? Don't do it. Read full guidance "
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PKaurK
    edited 15 October 2017 at 10:49AM
    Earnings £283/Target £1,000 (31/12/2017)
    All earnings from matched betting.

Weekly tasks completed:
    Publish two blog posts - Done.
    Design one T-shirt - Done.
    Call HSBC and sort out switch - Done.
    Promote my Matched Betting post on Reddit - Done.

I have more time on my hands this week so I'll design two more T-shirts, I want to start advertising them now since I'm making a decent profit from matched betting. I've heard Instagram and Facebook are best for advertising so I'm going to first look into how the adverts work and cost. HSBC said it takes 50 for the bonus of £150 to credit your account, so maybe I'll get it for Christmas. This week I've only had 5 visitors from Reddit, I think I need way more content before I start promoting my blog, maybe I'll start in the new year. But I do think I need to have some sort of social media presence for my blog so I'll start on Twitter I think. Still on track for 500 views this month.

Next week tasks
    Publish two blog posts
    Design two T-shirts
    Look into how Facebook adverts work & cost
    Set up Twitter account for my blog
    Apply to Leapforce
  • PKaurK
    edited 22 October 2017 at 11:26AM
    Earnings £348/Target £1,000 (31/12/2017)
    All earnings from matched betting.

Weekly tasks complete
    Publish two blog posts - Done
    Design two T-shirts - Only 1, think I'm going to go back down to 1 per week
    Look into how Facebook adverts work & cost - Nope
    Set up Twitter account for my blog - Yep, 59 followers already
    Apply to Leapforce - Done

This week has been really busy with the amount of over time I've been doing at work but still managed to complete most of what I intended. I already have 59 follower on Twitter but I find that most of these are other bloggers, not many of the general public following me and I'm not sure how to change this, maybe it will just come with time? I posted my book review of The Money Tree on Reddit and receive about 350 views in one day, but my affiliate link was not working and I only realised in the evening, I'll never know how many people tried to click the link to purchase the product! I did sell one the next day however they purchased the used version from Amazon for 1p so I didn't make any commission. I then tweeted the review at the author who re-tweeted it, but only received a few views from this. I think the problem was that I reviewed a book 11 years old, going forward I think I'll be better off reviewing new releases.

Next week tasks:
    Publish two blog posts
    Design one T-shirt
    Look into how Facebook adverts work & cost
    Set up Facebook for my blog.
  • I'm interested in starting a Blog. May I ask where you blog please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure