re paypal and indemnity claim in bank - scammed?

* Posting on behalf of friend *

So she's sent money to someone via paypal to get info re business opportunities and received an email from them but basically it's all crap and she's been scammed!

She's rang paypal who said buyer protection isn't offered through personal payment. Paypal advised to ring the bank to open up an indemnity claim. She rang the bank and they said no it's not covered and to ring Paypal as they should refund!

So one's saying to ring the other etc and here's a copy of the paypal email she received below, however the bank is saying no! (personally I don't think she'll get any money back but I said I'd post for her here)

I'm sending you this email today regarding the payment you have sent on the 16th September for £80.

I can confirm that this payment has gone through our system via the personal payment method which we don’t offer buyer protection. So due to this we wouldn’t be able to assist you in getting a refund.
I would recommend getting in touch with your bank where the payment has been requested from and get them to raise an indemnity claim to get the money back that way for you.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• If you send me £75 I'll tell you how to fight it...
  • sunni
    sunni Posts: 785
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you send me £75 I'll tell you how to fight it...
    I'm sure she'll not agree to that!! :D
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Caveat emptor.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I doubt the bank will help. This was not a debit or credit card payment.

There is no bank protection when you purchase virtual currency (such as using paypal) or do a bank transfer.

When you pay through paypal, you are not protected by the bank and are only protected by paypal's rules. So if this was a personal payments that is not eligible for paypal's buyer protection you are stuffed.

The only remedy would be to find an address for the person who was sent money and raise a small court claim against them through the moneyclaimonline system.

If you don't have an address for the recipient you are stuffed.

Sorry.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,979
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    OP I assume by 'personal payment' you mean a friends and family payment? IF so then there is going to be virtually nothing that your friend can do. Friends and family means just that, someone you trust because you are sending a direct payment that cannot be reclaimed.

Also as above that would not preclude any legal action, but without a geographic address that isn't possible.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure