Redundancy/paid off to go quietly help

I'm hoping I can get some helpful advise from you please?

Basically a member of the family has worked at the same place of work since leaving school at the age 16 and prior, (sat job and holiday work) this is the same place of work their father worked at. They have been there for 30 years and the father I'd say 40 years. So this place of work means a lot to the family. They are currently being bullied and the ring leader tends to get other people on his side making up stories that everyone seem so on believe against my relation. This ringleader has worked on others and most are no longer there through being paid off to go away quietly. It appears this may happen to the family member as all managers and under managers have also left or been made redundant. The owner is now trying to run place. It was been reported several times to owner but doesn't want to know. I have a feeling they're next on the list to be gotten rid off. Googled the behaviour pattern and on a bullying website it appears to be called mobbing.
Would they be entitled to holiday pay in the redundancy or sacking?
If so how do they calculate it please?
I've managed to work out what redundancy pay would be if needed.
Any helpful advise would gratefully appreciated.
Things will get better day by day.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Well yes you get any outstanding holiday pay that you are due.

As well as any notice pay, statutory redundancy, contractual payments

Im not sure what the bullying has to do with it though. Or 'going quietly' - go loudly if you want, I doubt you'll get anything more or less
  • Given the size of a potential redundancy payment, the employer may try to manage your husband out via the disciplinary process.

If he is not in a union he needs to join now.
  • Given the size of a potential redundancy payment, the employer may try to manage your husband out via the disciplinary process.

If he is not in a union he needs to join now.

It is very unlikely a union will help with a matter that has started before joining unless they consider it to be in the wider interest of their members.

If they join now and nothing happens for 3 to 6 months then maybe.

To be honest, with 30 years service, there would be a significant redundancy payment due (he can calculate it on the .gov website). Unless there are exceptional circumstances it is very unlikely an unfair dismissal claim would yield more that this so it would probably not be worth challenging if he is made redundant.

If however they try to dismiss to avoid redundancy then he needs to see a solicitor unless union cover is active.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I am unclear why we are talking about redundancy or sacking at all? Unfortunately, bullying per se is not against employment law, unless it directly relates to a protected characteristic in discrimination. It can indirectly have relevance, but it is exceedingly difficult to prove, especially if the employer is prepared to do nothing. There are always two sides to every story and the employer is entitled to believe the other side. So what makes you think that they'd be prepared to pay him off? You haven't suggested a good reason for that happening.
  • wannaberich41
    wannaberich41 Posts: 525
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The owner in the past has paid people off to go quietly. This in monetary value has been£20k or more. They have to sign something to say nothing will be mentioned for real reason why they are no longer working for the company not to fight it etc. Just accept the money and go. I'm aware of 3 people in past 2 years who got a payout but staff told either they've left or been made redundant but this is not the case. The said 3 people lives were made very difficult at work by a certain staff member who was spreading lies about them to the owner and other staff members to get them on side. This said staff member has no qualifications in the industry and has now been promoted to manager.( his aim all along to get the other managers booted)
    He even tampers with machinery that other people use so it breaks and then the other person gets in trouble. It's been reported to owner by several different people to owners but they just don't want to know. Everyone knows this person is doing this but the owner doesn't believe in anyone else. The current target is my family member who on one occasion got in a work vehicle and thought it felt funny so stopped to find that all wheel nuts on vehicle were loose.
    This didn't happen on its own and said person had been seen near vehicles. Reported to owner there thoughts but wasn't believed.
    Things will get better day by day.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    If they are trying to get them out then they are taking their time 8.5 months so far.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The owner in the past has paid people off to go quietly. This in monetary value has been£20k or more. They have to sign something to say nothing will be mentioned for real reason why they are no longer working for the company not to fight it etc. Just accept the money and go. I'm aware of 3 people in past 2 years who got a payout but staff told either they've left or been made redundant but this is not the case. The said 3 people lives were made very difficult at work by a certain staff member who was spreading lies about them to the owner and other staff members to get them on side. This said staff member has no qualifications in the industry and has now been promoted to manager.( his aim all along to get the other managers booted)
    He even tampers with machinery that other people use so it breaks and then the other person gets in trouble. It's been reported to owner by several different people to owners but they just don't want to know. Everyone knows this person is doing this but the owner doesn't believe in anyone else.
    This didn't happen on its own and said person had been seen near vehicles. Reported to owner there thoughts but wasn't believed.
    Report to the police......

as above they're taking their time if they really did want your family member gne....
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • dcfc67
    dcfc67 Posts: 399
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If your not in a union, speak to a solicitor. Do you have any home/car insurance where you get some sort of legal cover.

some people get telephone support etc.

i would log all events and get names addresses/ statements just in case things get esculated to the next level
  • The owner in the past has paid people off to go quietly. This in monetary value has been£20k or more. They have to sign something to say nothing will be mentioned for real reason why they are no longer working for the company not to fight it etc. Just accept the money and go. I'm aware of 3 people in past 2 years who got a payout but staff told either they've left or been made redundant but this is not the case. The said 3 people lives were made very difficult at work by a certain staff member who was spreading lies about them to the owner and other staff members to get them on side. This said staff member has no qualifications in the industry and has now been promoted to manager.( his aim all along to get the other managers booted)
    He even tampers with machinery that other people use so it breaks and then the other person gets in trouble. It's been reported to owner by several different people to owners but they just don't want to know. Everyone knows this person is doing this but the owner doesn't believe in anyone else. The current target is my family member who on one occasion got in a work vehicle and thought it felt funny so stopped to find that all wheel nuts on vehicle were loose.

Hmmm to be blunt sounds like a load of jackanory...so this person who has no qualifications has been promoted to a manager,you sound like a jealous person as said family member hasn't been promoted to that position.

And this new unqualified manager is loosing wheel nuts that could potential end in a catastrophic accident and the owner isn't listening,maybe they see through you or said family members nonsense or the fact your trying to discredit this newly qualified manager.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure